Author Topic: Nikon D5s  (Read 2776 times)

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon D5s
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:23:59 »

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Nikon D5s
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:10:52 »
One thing is for sure: you have better financing than I.

Two thing is for sure: you don't believe the evil Ken Wheeler.

Dave who would rather have a D850 but would also rather have a D850 and a D500 but would rather have a D850, D500s and a D5s. Why? I don't know... [OK, I know why I'd like a D850 and a D500s it's the D5s I'm not sure about.]

A Nikon D850 and a D500 would be most wonderful. To have some free time would be wonderful also.

Damn phone changes word on me! 
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:44:18 »
A D850 makes a D500 redundant which is also made redundant by the D5.

Better to have a D4s than a D500, which is let's face it, is the poor man alternative.

My D5 sees more mileage than the D850 except for location or studio work.

In case they do release a D5s, the D4 and D4s would be available on the market for lower price.

As for Ken Wheeler, he is from the same strata of all who profess knowledge and distribute their rubbish for gullible people. same as few people on this board who are entertaining in a sad way.

chambeshi

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:37:57 »
It will be interesting to see where Nikon take the upgrade of the D5. Adding features in the D850 is likely, such as the silent-shutter, focus peaking, focus-stacking and improved touchscreen capability.

a side subject somewhat off topic - the D500 confers 10 fps out the box. The wider AF coverage in the viewfinder is a big plus too, even though the D850 can be shot in DX mode. Cost is the major deciding factor for many photographers. So for some of us, the D500 is a cost-effective backup to the D850, especially for action: wildlife and sport etc.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:11 »
No. A D5x could be something that interests me. 42 Megapixels at 12 fps, BSI, great ergonomics. Cryptographic signing of files to turn them into proof. GPS integrated into cryptographic module to prevent manipulation of space and time.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 19:22:20 »
This make me think about the Nikon Image Authentication Software (Canon had a similar one). Both died silently, when ElcomSoft, a Russian forensic software firm, cracked both and produced forged / manipulated images who past the authentication test 😂

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2011/04/nikon-image-authentication-system-compromised/

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/software/img_auth/index.htm
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 20:43:01 »
yes. implementation was flawed. will not happen with a trusted  platform module that can issue real random numbers and protect camera firmware and secrets. Apple has something like it although they did a flawed implementation on a less protected level. you can root them so easily....

O want another honest attempt. would be worth every penny in my contruction photo jobs
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 18:51:36 »
Better to have a D4s than a D500, which is let's face it, is the poor man alternative.
Repectfully disagree. I had a D5 for about 2500 pictures and I was happy to change it for a D500. 
Crop factor and AF field coverage for wildlife, BIF and IIF simply makes D500 much better than D5 for what I do.
Further more I prefer a smaller, lighter body over a big brick. 10 years ago I changed my D3 for a D700 when it came out.
Since D850, I have a relative fast cam and resolution in one, relative compact body, which is great.

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 19:26:47 »
No worries. If you did not like the D5, then it is not for you and your style of photography.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 21:35:49 »
No. A D5x could be something that interests me. 42 Megapixels at 12 fps, BSI, great ergonomics. Cryptographic signing of files to turn them into proof. GPS integrated into cryptographic module to prevent manipulation of space and time.

Some good points here: I'm thinking a high frame rate and no AA filter in a camera that can handle heavy use. Also a camera that can balance well with heavy lenses. Expected are great mid and high ISO quality.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!