Author Topic: Bokeh-licious Bug  (Read 4377 times)

JKoerner007

Bokeh-licious Bug
« on: November 18, 2017, 18:40:31 »
Penultimate Carolina Mantid ... on grass.

Taken with the Canon EOS 7D and EF 180mm f/3.5 Macro Lens
(1/50, f/7.1, 400 ISO) ... in Florida 2011

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Bokeh-licious Bug
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 19:07:49 »
John, it is really nice. It's always nice to see beautiful images made with non Nikon gear.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

JKoerner007

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 23:23:18 »
John, it is really nice. It's always nice to see beautiful images made with non Nikon gear.

Thanks, Jakov.

I was looking for old flower shots, in relation to this thread, and stumbled across this one in the process.

I agree and disagree: a beautiful shot is a beautiful shot (and an interesting subject is an interesting subject), regardless of what device was used to capture it.

However, I am a purist of sorts, and I believe images taken with Nikon gear should be posted on a NikonGear forum ... even if the moderation allows for differences.

Just thought I'd share a fav "blast from the past" for fun  ;D

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 00:20:38 »
I agree and disagree: a beautiful shot is a beautiful shot (and an interesting subject is an interesting subject), regardless of what device was used to capture it.

However, I am a purist of sorts, and I believe images taken with Nikon gear should be posted on a NikonGear forum ... even if the moderation allows for differences.

Just thought I'd share a fav "blast from the past" for fun  ;D

Just the fact that you aligned the camera precisely parallel to the mantis and the wheat (?) before any slightest movement of the main subject is amazing.

The tool should be chosen by individual according to the needs, not the brands.  Unlike the name of the forum, the images taken by the tools of any brand are equally entitled to be posted here, except for the personal restrictions.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 00:54:31 »
To elaborate, there is no "moderation" of what gear is used for images posted on NG. That would defeat the objective of a photographic-orientated web forum.

Many members do use gear from different brands these days, so it would be silly to make specific brand rules. Thus, I'm myself a Nikon user (no big secret ...), yet I also use Fuji and Panasonic gear, and have optics from Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Leica, Sigma, Tamron, and Olympus to name some of the brands.

Nice mantis by the way.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 01:18:41 »
Few of us are up to the very best that various brands are capable of, and we certainly don't need some hare-brained sub website for non-Nikon images, as some other websites have been known to employ. An interesting image is an interesting image, and the equipment used to make it is irrelevant, it's merely the tool that the photographer used.

Giving a man a pint brush doesn't make him Rembrandt's equal. Who doesn't love well crafted image?
Carl

JKoerner007

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 02:43:46 »
Just the fact that you aligned the camera precisely parallel to the mantis and the wheat (?) before any slightest movement of the main subject is amazing.

Thanks.

The tool should be chosen by individual according to the needs, not the brands.  Unlike the name of the forum, the images taken by the tools of any brand are equally entitled to be posted here, except for the personal restrictions.

Yeah, but I can't afford to run a complete line on both brands, and (having shot both) I prefer Nikon 8)

Doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed Canon, but (having compared thousands of images of both) I am good with staying here.

Just sharing some old photos is all :)

To elaborate, there is no "moderation" of what gear is used for images posted on NG. That would defeat the objective of a photographic-orientated web forum.

Noted.

Many members do use gear from different brands these days, so it would be silly to make specific brand rules. Thus, I'm myself a Nikon user (no big secret ...), yet I also use Fuji and Panasonic gear, and have optics from Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Leica, Sigma, Tamron, and Olympus to name some of the brands.

Understood.

Nice mantis by the way.

Few of us are up to the very best that various brands are capable of, and we certainly don't need some hare-brained sub website for non-Nikon images, as some other websites have been known to employ. An interesting image is an interesting image, and the equipment used to make it is irrelevant, it's merely the tool that the photographer used.

Agreed, and I wouldn't expect a sub-forum for off-label brands. Yet I still believe a Nikon forum is a Nikon forum.

If you shoot Sony cameras, with Nikon glass, okay.
If you shoot Nikon cameras, with Zeiss glass, okay.

But if you're shooting Sony cameras with Sony glass, then you belong on a Sony forum/

Just my beliefs ...

Giving a man a pint brush doesn't make him Rembrandt's equal. Who doesn't love well crafted image?

Don't believe it's that simple.

A brush is a simple tool than any artist can use. One brush (essentially) gives ZERO advantage to a user over another.
By contrast, a camera is a highly-complex, multi-dimensional tool that gives any photographer a decided advantage.

If I gave you a cell phone and told you to take photos of jungle birds, you couldn't do it.
If I gave you a paintbrush and told you to paint jungle birds ... you could do it ... from other people's photographs ... but only up to the level of your ability.

If I put a person in front of you, gave you an Otus + a D850, and told you to take a photo of this person ... you would create a decent image, regardless of your skill level.
If i put that same person in front of you, gave you the best brushes and oils available, your 'finished product' would likely be a joke compared to your camera image.

The amount of time it takes to complete a 'perfect photo' versus the amount of time it takes to complete a 'perfect oil painting' is also a joke.

What I am getting at is, your point is in err.
True, while the camera/lens don't make the photographer ... they come a helluva lot closer than the paintbrush/canvas make the artist.

This truth is also why the best paintings sell for 100x what the best photos will bring.

And rightly so ...

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 17:35:42 »
Thanks.

Yeah, but I can't afford to run a complete line on both brands, and (having shot both) I prefer Nikon 8)

Doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed Canon, but (having compared thousands of images of both) I am good with staying here.

Just sharing some old photos is all :)

Noted.

Understood.

Agreed, and I wouldn't expect a sub-forum for off-label brands. Yet I still believe a Nikon forum is a Nikon forum.

If you shoot Sony cameras, with Nikon glass, okay.
If you shoot Nikon cameras, with Zeiss glass, okay.

But if you're shooting Sony cameras with Sony glass, then you belong on a Sony forum/

Just my beliefs ...

Don't believe it's that simple.

A brush is a simple tool than any artist can use. One brush (essentially) gives ZERO advantage to a user over another.
By contrast, a camera is a highly-complex, multi-dimensional tool that gives any photographer a decided advantage.

If I gave you a cell phone and told you to take photos of jungle birds, you couldn't do it.
If I gave you a paintbrush and told you to paint jungle birds ... you could do it ... from other people's photographs ... but only up to the level of your ability.

If I put a person in front of you, gave you an Otus + a D850, and told you to take a photo of this person ... you would create a decent image, regardless of your skill level.
If i put that same person in front of you, gave you the best brushes and oils available, your 'finished product' would likely be a joke compared to your camera image.

The amount of time it takes to complete a 'perfect photo' versus the amount of time it takes to complete a 'perfect oil painting' is also a joke.

What I am getting at is, your point is in err.
True, while the camera/lens don't make the photographer ... they come a helluva lot closer than the paintbrush/canvas make the artist.

This truth is also why the best paintings sell for 100x what the best photos will bring.

And rightly so ...

You have managed to misinterpret my words, as I intended them. but I am not interested in getting into an argument with you over it. However, I will point out errors when I see them. 

Carl

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 18:55:03 »
Outstanding image !
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

JKoerner007

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 19:31:10 »

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 21:17:15 »
John:
Was this mantis actually that purplish-magenta-ish color?  I wonder because of the surrounding field of green can throw off my color perception of the non-green thing towards magenta.
Do mantises always turn their heads and look at the photographer?  I don't see them often, but the last time I saw one, in Oregon, it did so.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

JKoerner007

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 21:45:18 »
John:
Was this mantis actually that purplish-magenta-ish color?  I wonder because of the surrounding field of green can throw off my color perception of the non-green thing towards magenta.
Do mantises always turn their heads and look at the photographer?  I don't see them often, but the last time I saw one, in Oregon, it did so.

Keith, mantises are the enigma of the insect world ... for a variety of reasons.

The Carolina Mantid has many color forms, some mostly-green, some grayish, but many have (yes) a 'camou' series of blotches and colorations, which can vary greatly, including magentas, browns, greens, and grays.

Also, yes, they frequently turn their heads to regard the photographer, because they are so 'aware' of there surroundings ...

Here is a video clip I made earlier this year, of a California (not Carolina) Mantid ... with a funny end demonstrating this :D

https://youtu.be/ojO8J0aGcWM

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 23:21:57 »
I kept a mantis for several months. She was probably a Stagmomantis californica for those who speak latin. :) She was a coward! One night I caught a large oriental cockroach in my backyard. I kept my mantis in a 55 gallon aquarium with a top fixed for keeping a snake. She kept her human in a single story stick construction succo house. When the roach scurried by the mantis threw up her wings to display a pair of large false eyes. Finally she got the idea that the roach was din din and grabbed it. She eat it tail first. I can honestly say this is the first time I ever felt sorry for a cockroach. The roach kept wiggling it's antenna until she eat its head.

To feed her I used an old white sheet and a black light. The sheet glows from the optical whiteners found in the cloth and added by many washing detergents. The glowing sheet attracts many insects. One or maybe two lucky insects are choosen.

Later the mantis laid eggs. When the eggs hatched the young began eating each other. I fired off an email to John Acorn “The Nature Nut” and he suggested feeding them non-flying lab fruit files. I didn't have time to find a source for these so I gave up and turned the young loose. If trying to keep a female cockroach as a pet it would be wise to find a source for non-flying fruit flies before the need arises.

That's my Stagmomantis californica story and I'm sticking to it!

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:54:35 »
Here is a Cryptic Mantis from South Africa. Not as beautiful a setting; this one is sitting on the wall of the cabin, I stayed in. Taken handheld with D800 + 300/4 AFS and the build in flash.
Kim

JKoerner007

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 04:23:58 »
That's my Stagmomantis californica story and I'm sticking to it!

Well, alrighty-then :D