Author Topic: "Terminator" kingfisher with D850  (Read 1230 times)

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
"Terminator" kingfisher with D850
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:17:41 »
Good morning!
Underneath image was captured with D850 & nikon 200-500 at F5.6, M mode, (auto)iso 500, 1/1000 sec. Image taken handheld with VR on. Cropped from the original. The Original crop is 2403px longest side.
I'm happy with this picture because I never captured a Kingfisher with a fish speared on its beak before during many years and hundreds of hours of Kingfisher observation and photography on different locations.
The image was totally unprepared while I was taking pictures of a heron sitting in the other direction. All of a sudden I heard a splash in the water behind my back and I saw my little friend with a relative big fish speared on its beak. There was barely enough time to aim and shoot before he flew in the foliage.
D850 did a good job by nailing AF fast and accurate. I love the D850 & 200-500 combo.

The only PP that has been done was adding +0.66 EV and shadow lifting with ADL in NCNX-D. A tad sharpening in NC and © in PS5. NO noise reduction applied.

The original didn't look promising though, while underexposed...

I think that if I would have captured this image with my D500, with the same underexposure, the outcome would have been worse or even unusable because of noise.

Thanks for looking and kindest regards,
Stany
www.nikonuser.info

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: "Terminator" kingfisher with D850
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:48 »
With a sharp lens like the 5.6/200-500G you are one the safe side. Because you would have to have cropped less with the D500 image from the same perspective it might even have turned out better in the noise part, but: The color differention is sure better with the D850. Which ISO?

PS: do not try such a stunt with a delicate lens like the 1.4/58G. I think about selling mine because my results with the D850 are not good. I feel they do not pair well.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:39:20 »
PS: do not try such a stunt with a delicate lens like the 1.4/58G. I think about selling mine because my results with the D850 are not good. I feel they do not pair well.

I would not move to sell the 105/1.4 too fast. Maybe the pair need a proper introduction by Nikon?

Dave Who is twice jealous.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:45:10 »
the 1.4/105E is a perfect match as is the 1.8/20G, the 1.8/85G and the 8-15E ....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 14:46:31 »
The processed image is quite nice , certainly a unique situation that I have not seen before
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3