Author Topic: Live view D850  (Read 1838 times)

marco

• NG Member
  • Enjoy life
Live view D850
« on: November 09, 2017, 19:03:11 »
I feel a bit silly to ask this but i can't figure out how to change in live view the iso setting and choose: my image area is greyed out and the ISO is set to auto.
Where in the menu can i change this? i have been looking for it but can't seem to find it

Also the choose image area is blank and set for DX doesn't matter wich lens i put on (85/1.4 70-200 2.8 14-24/2.4)  i can't seem to figure out how to change, normally i could with one tap of my finger change it but that doesn't work, i must have set it in the camera somewhere but where?

Really hope someone can help me out, maybe one of you had a similair problem and solved it.

thank you in advance!

Marco.
Marco slaghuis

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Live view D850
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 20:21:14 »
I'm running out the door for an appointment or I'd look this stuff up. I recommend downloading the official Nikon PDF manual and using Adobe Reader's advanced search. Very frustrating at times: you have to know Nikon's specific terms for somethings or you get no hits. I'll check this when I can.

Anybody else here?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 20:38:33 »
The Auto-ISO is changed pressing the ISO button and turning the front wheel - aperture -  that is how it works on my D800 and I recently handled a d500 and it was the same thing, I'll think it is the same on the D850

Changing the crop area is done by going into one of the menus :) but I have not done it in a long time and I can't recall which menu
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 21:51:03 »
First secret phrase: ISO sensitivity settings. This is found in the shooting menu. See pages 252 and 119 in the D850 manual for different settings and ways to set ISO. Also as noted pressing the ISO button and rolling the main command wheel changes the ISO. Rolling the sub-command wheel changes between manual and auto ISO. There are more options in the Shooting menu> ISO sensitivity settings> dialogs.

Next: Image area is found in the shooting menu and on page 251 in the D850 manual. If you search the PDF manual there are many hits for Image area and there are hits for still and movie photography so you need to read the correct page for the mode you are using. There are a lot of hits to wade through. If the Shooting menu> Choose image area> is set to DX or something other than FX you'll get what's set regardless of what lens is on the camera.

The manual can be quick and easy or if the manual is in a bad mood it can be slow and tedious. I remember trying to find "Slave" in the SB-800 manual and got zero hits. I may have tried "Master" and found on the same page found the newer terms which are "Commander" and "Remote". The index is not redundant so "slave" gets zero hits and that's that.

I'm not sure anyone loves the User's Manual. For me it's a necessary evil. I probably use trial and error first. :)

Hope I covered this, I hope this is helpful.

Dave Hartman

I need to mention that typos don't count when using Adobe Reader, Advanced Search.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 08:02:19 »
all things ISO are done with the ISO button
all things AF are done with the AF button

yes. you can also do it in the menu, but why?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

marco

• NG Member
  • Enjoy life
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 18:49:15 »
i had looked through the whole manual and did a fair bit of reading but i could not change in live view the correct iso of take auto iso off by scrolling on the front/back wheel, als touching the image area in LV didn't do anything.
First i thought that it had to be a setting that i  set before, going through different options while reading the manual.
In the end i did a factory reset took the battery out placed it back and voila everything works again.
I just hope that it was a 1 time only although i have learned more going to the options trying to resolve this.
Should i mention this to Nikon is my thought atm

thx for the input much appreciated.

Marco.
Marco slaghuis

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 22:48:14 »
i had looked through the whole manual and did a fair bit of reading but i could not change in live view the correct iso of take auto iso off by scrolling on the front/back wheel, als touching the image area in LV didn't do anything.
First i thought that it had to be a setting that i  set before, going through different options while reading the manual.
In the end i did a factory reset took the battery out placed it back and voila everything works again.
I just hope that it was a 1 time only although i have learned more going to the options trying to resolve this.
Should i mention this to Nikon is my thought atm

thx for the input much appreciated.

Marco.

I just checked it. I got the D500 and D850 next to me.

In Live View you simply press the ISO button, the little planet of the exposure button sun right in the middle between exposure correction and video and off you go:

auto on|off as well as all ISO from 64/100 to LOx to HIx

What might be you problem? Is the ISO-Button broken?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

marco

• NG Member
  • Enjoy life
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 08:32:24 »
Not broken Frank it just didn't work anymore while pressing the iso button (if i didn't know where it was i wouldn't be worth this camera imho:) now it's working good again after a factory default.
But if i would have accidently shut the iso function off while in liveview i would like to know wich setting it was, otherwise it was a flaw in the camera and i will adress it to Nikon.

Marco.
Marco slaghuis