Author Topic: Ireland 2015  (Read 10600 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Ireland 2015
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2015, 16:42:55 »
The 300 PF apparently survived with just a few minor scratches. Managed to get the extra camera mount off it as well (the one that was ripped off the Df body). The coffee stains on its rear element went away with some soap on a chamoise cloth.

It probably was saved by (1) the hood being stored reversed so effectively would act as a cushion and shock absorber and (2) the lens tripod collar + Arca plate added even more protection. Yesterday, I ran a comprehensive test session with the 300 PF on my second Df, checking alignment, proper focusing, VR functionality in 'Normal' mode, and consistency of exposures ('E' aperture). All results looked good.

As all main Nikon techs are on their summer vacation at present, I have to wait at least 2 weeks to get the camera repaired. I wonder whether the designated shearing zone for impact has protected the camera's mirror chamber from coming out of alignment. Everything else with the camera seems to work: it turns on and off, shows previews and menus, and I can trip the shutter. The massive "L" plate must - again - have acted as a protection to the vulnerable camera body.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 11:11:59 »
I would think the threads on the mirrorbox looks like they where stripped out so a new mirror box is needed...

The body is cast magnesium so can take a beating :) Lets hope for the best!
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 11:53:25 »
According to the first report from the repair shop, only the front unit with the bayonet support needs to be replaced. Estimated cost approx. $ 700 which is pretty acceptable all things considered. The lens survived the ordeal.

Mike G

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 12:52:47 »
Bjorn so sorry to hear the sorry tale, for some reason there is always jostling when trying to get off an aircraft, some people are just too impatient to live. so it ends up with you having a large bill to repair your gear, I can only imagine the Norwegian expletives ringing in the air!

I'm about to go on holiday with my 300 PF via Dusseldorf, so I shall be extra careful!

Hopefully the scalding wasn't too painful!

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 14:44:35 »
Bjorn, just curious, was it the same Df that got damaged again or was it the spare you bought in Copenhagen?
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2015, 15:30:12 »
Actually, it was Df #1. So the spare apparently has a better longevity :D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2015, 12:11:51 »
'nuff about broken cameras ... brings little enjoyment except for the repair techs :D

Ireland is very much about colours. The country simply overflows with colour everywhere and I suspect the moisture in the air adds colour saturation all of its own.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 14:24:19 »
Entering the bustling traffic of downtown Dublin is a true challenge for someone accustomed to driving on the right side of the road. As I'm left-handed, driving on the left side stresses me more than most people since my least-used arm (the right) now handles most of the action. Two weeks driving was more than enough. Fortunately, most of it took place in less crowded circumstances than rush hours in Dubin :D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2015, 14:30:31 »
The contrast to the busy streets of Dublin could hardly be more pronounced than this placid bakery in sleepy little town of Corofin, Co. Clare. The prices were cheap and they provided a tasty carrot cake and for once, really enjoyable coffee, which in Ireland and elsewhere in the British Isles is a scarce commodity indeed.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2015, 14:42:44 »
The usual 'Irish' weather prevailed in the streets of Dublin. However, this little girl was more interesting in using her umbrella to collect rain drops than to protect her from the wrath of the Irish elements.

Mike G

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2015, 14:57:41 »
Very nice series Bjorn, if you want a decent cup of coffee come to my house, I make a mean cup of coffee in my cafetierre!

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2015, 15:18:42 »
Doing some catching up.  I am very fond of the Street image of the 3 Violinists, were they Busking or practicing?  I cannot see any money in the open case  :( .

Wow, tough on the Df.  I used to be bigger and could use my size and weight and a booming voice with such people on flights.  Now I just try and embarrass them with the voice but if you are caught unawares and off balance just not much you can do.
Many fun, good , interesting images, shame about the return home  :( .  Bet you were really looking forward to getting home and making a cup of good coffee  :) .  Sounds like a large Brandy would have been in order with the coffee  ;)
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2015, 15:48:16 »
Lovely series of a city and a country I would like to visit. Wonderful colours in the last series. The coffee shop photo is great - not least because of the 50's sign "Drink coffee, do stupid things faster" :)
Bjørn Jørgensen