Author Topic: Removal of Df Split Prism  (Read 4750 times)

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Removal of Df Split Prism
« on: October 29, 2017, 20:19:47 »
When this mod first appeared, more than a few Df owners bought the screen and fitted it.  Some later  reported they had un-installed it.  I wonder how many Df owners installed the screen and have now removed it and why.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Removal of Df Split Prism
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 20:56:32 »
I have the K-3 screen in my Df and see no reason to remove it.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:37:13 »
I don't see myself getting rid of that  :o :o :o

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:03:47 »
Not in the df but in a d700 and for now it is going to stay. I still need the extra help of the green dot confirmation thou

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:10:25 »
How difficult is it to install?

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 14:23:46 »
How difficult is it to install?

https://richardhaw.com/2016/09/11/mod-nikon-df-split-prism/
not really difficult if you are steady with your hands  :o :o :o

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 16:27:14 »
Thank you Richard, maybe I will try :o

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 16:28:17 »
Maybe my question should have been referenced to how many have fitted the screen and remain happy with it and why!

nikuy

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 03:07:51 »
Same thing as me,don't think about remove it,stay for now,cause I only use manual focus lens and no rush to take photo,can't live without the screen,hope that help.

Lloyd

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 16:08:32 »
Yes, Lloyd, every comment helps.  My motivation for this thread/topic is purely self -interest. I can afford this inexpensive mod and have the technical ability  to do it, even on a bad day!  But i haven't done it yet because i don't know how helpful it will be.  I  wondered what needs users have that drive their desire to change the screen, what lenses they use and how this screen change facilitates their Df use.  I am twice the age I was when I bought my F2- SB and began purchasing lenses and other dedicated stuff, and I had probably eight or ten different screens, which I changed like underwear, believing I needed those screens- which i really didn't and eventually settled on a split micro prism. I simply wish that Nikon would produce a K3 style screen for the Df and embrace it with either a screen changing service or simply give the approval nod to owners changing thee new screen themselves. My thoughts for a Df 2 would include an easily changed  Nikon screen!

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 17:56:37 »
the only way to find out is to try one  :o :o :o

and no, there will never be a Df2 (the people on-charge of the project itself told me)  ::)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 23:18:18 »
I'l never mount any split prism nor microprism on my Df.
Back in my Canon T90 times, I already replaced the standard ground glass (with all sorts of prisms) by a uniformly ground one. I found the microprism, especially, too distracting in the middle of the scene, and the microprisms would also cause darkening.
The other reason was, my subjects are not necessarily centered, and I don't like to re-frame after focussing.

On my Df, I use the DK-17M, as I did on all previous cameras (D700, D800). No issues (note: I do not wear glasses when shooting, despite some astigmatism)

My eyesight will sure deteriorate with time, so I'm betting on a Nikon F-mount compatible mirrorless. I already have extensive experience of using Olympus with adapters and old Canon FD lenses, and focussing is a breeze.
Airy Magnien

nikuy

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 20:46:49 »
Hi,Ken,I'm happy you got helped,Yes Richar is right,go ahead try one,also Airy idea
get a DK-17m,for me remove screen in and out is no big deal,I use my thumb nail loose the metal spring,and the 3m magic tape (small enough to pick the screen) on a plastic stick to pick out the screen,as to install,so far the G2 screen stuck on my Df,I did try type K,P,H2,all of them are for the F3 camera some are F or F2 that I got from the Bay,as for the mod,try Richar site,good info,I like the 12mm center circle all microprism of G2 and bright,only affect the 28mm get dark tunnel view,Df pair with MF lens( Nikkor Ai-Ais) is a joy to take photo,sorry for my broken langue.
Lloyd

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 15:38:07 »
Thank you for your reply, Lloyd.  In the short time I have been involved with this forum, I have met some helpful photogs/kind,knowledgeable people, and my Christmas wish is for our politicians to all buy quality cameras and get involved with this forum, because There would  be much mellowing, less angry shouting and more thoughtful discussion!  Yes, I know that Christmas seems a long way away, but the reality is that Advent will soon be upon some of us. . . .  All that aside, I am interested in your mention of F2 screens and the Df.  Even in their frames they are rather small, and i cannot see how they could fit into a Df, unless laminated to a larger backing.  Unfortunately, I knew nothing of changing Df screens when Katzeye (spelling?) was producing screens, had not even heard of the company.

nikuy

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 19:39:27 »
Searching certain type of screen for mod on the Bay,many time can't get the exact   mode F3 for the project,so I risk myself to tried other like F/F2, and found ok.
Lloyd