Author Topic: Definitely my last autumnal post for this year . . .  (Read 1904 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Definitely my last autumnal post for this year . . .
« on: October 29, 2017, 18:46:15 »
But the colours are wonderful; all within our own neighbourhood, this afternoon.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Definitely my last autumnal post for this year . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 23:05:50 »
These are beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed the yellow trees, the shadows, and the light.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 01:52:01 »
Pleasant atmosphere.  A bit of haze suggests the air is somewhat wet.  Is that normal out there?

The moon in the last image is an "added" bonus (so I'd bet).  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:50:14 »
Thank you, Jakov and Akira.

Pleasant atmosphere.  A bit of haze suggests the air is somewhat wet.  Is that normal out there?
The moon in the last image is an "added" bonus (so I'd bet).  :D

We can get a slight haze at any time of year. But if you are suggesting that I "added" the moon, you'd be wrong - the scene existed exactly as shown in that image (shot with the 200-500, at 500mm). Actually, that is something I would never do; I have never seen the point of combining two or more real images to create one unreal one. Such an image is no longer a photograph, it is an illustration; this is something I have felt strongly about ever since digital imaging made all these things possible.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:30:39 »
Wow, Dave, so it is the compression effect of a super-tele!

Staying away from the collage seems to be part of your pride as landscape photographer.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:23:08 »
Wow, Dave, so it is the compression effect of a super-tele!

Staying away from the collage seems to be part of your pride as landscape photographer.

1) Yes, that's right, and there is a clue to the fact that the moon is not an add-on - it's not sharp. I think if I were adding the moon in this sort of context, I'd add a sharp moon.   ;D

2) That may be part of it. I feel that the ability to "capture", to freeze, to record faithfully, a moment in time is photography's USP, and that unique ability is endangered by the routine use of collaging multiple images. In landscape work, people seem to use the technique to show the world, not as it is, but as they wish it to be. The resulting composite is therefore a product of the imagination, therefore an illustration, and not a photograph. People are of course absolutely free to combine as many images as they wish, but imho they should no longer describe their work as photography; perhaps a new name should be coined for it; photographic illustration? A bit clumsy.

There is a new "photo-art" movement which is becoming very popular (a friend of mine is expert at this), in which elements are combined which are not only shot at different times of day, but may be from different locations and even from different continents. The resulting images vary from the bizarre to the idealised to the exotic, and can be extremely beautiful, but what is their point? This is something I don't understand.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 13:24:32 »
So, you kind of proved how challenging it is to get the DOF of 380,000 km using a 500mm lens.  :D

I don't intend to go with the "is collage regarded as photography?" kind of argument here, but I personally would expect the same thing as you described from the "photography".  As form of "art", I would enjoy anything, collage of photographs, collage of photographs and CG or anything.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 15:01:33 »
So, you kind of proved how challenging it is to get the DOF of 380,000 km using a 500mm lens.  :D

I don't intend to go with the "is collage regarded as photography?" kind of argument here, but I personally would expect the same thing as you described from the "photography".  As form of "art", I would enjoy anything, collage of photographs, collage of photographs and CG or anything.

You know, I think f22 might have done it, but I was hand-holding (bad, lazy boy). The trees were about 200m away, the moon 380,000km, as you say; it should be possible to calculate the dof . . . I think I shot that image at f8, three stops more would be pretty close; if the sky is clear this afternoon (moonrise is about 5pm), I'll try a similar shot.

I completely agree about art - we are all free to create and enjoy any kind of image or construction, I just have a problem about how some forms are defined or named. "Photography" is very very special to me; I would like there to be total clarity about what is, or is not, included in that word.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 13:16:39 »
Here is my last, last autumn post for this year. Probably. Aspens beside the River Lochay.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 22:41:48 »
all have something special but the last 3 images posted are Mongo's favourites

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 23:05:14 »
Here is my last, last autumn post for this year. Probably. Aspens beside the River Lochay.

The aspens still look very green ;)

Fine pictures!
Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 04:37:41 »
The colours in #4 and #5 are quite special - autumn indeed!

Based on some of the other images, it seems that the autumn colours are not spent yet.....
Mike Selby - Sydney

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 09:12:09 »
Thank you, Mongo, Alaun and Mike.

The colours in #4 and #5 are quite special - autumn indeed!
Based on some of the other images, it seems that the autumn colours are not spent yet.....

Mike  - you and Alaun have both spotted aspects of what is rather a strange autumn - many trees had entirely lost their leaves by mid-October, while others, even now, are not in full colour; Alaun was right about those aspens - they are still greenish, and haven't reached that glorious state of burnished gold. But M. and I leave here tomorrow afternoon and I won't have time to visit those aspens again this year.

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 18:28:38 »
Yes, a couple of days ago, I had the same feeling of a strange autumn.

Have a nice trip to Japan!

Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 04:55:58 »
I really love the last two images David!

I actually also wish there was a way to tell what images one sees are single photographs, and what are composites. For that reason, when I do composites (the only composites I ever do are star trails), I alwyas try to state it clearly in the body of the post.