Author Topic: DxO Now Owns Nik Software  (Read 7224 times)

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
Re: DxO Now Owns Nik Software
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 11:53:22 »
Thanks for your hints Frank. I run 2018 CC on a MAC and reinstalled Nik.
I used it a bit and no problems so far. But I do have different language settings.
So I'll watch out. Curious to see what DXO makes of the Nik Filters.
I guess the days of not paying will soon be over...

Cheers Daniel
Daniel Diggelmann

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 12:06:06 »
Do you use this RAW Converter? Are you happy with this RAW converter?

I use it as a plug-in in LR.
It's very good in Lens corrections and noise reduction.
The DAM completely sucks.
The new version should be a complete overhaul, but I had not the time to try it out.
I will definitely purchase it (upgrade is only €69,00).
IIRC it has a 30 days trial version.
Chris Dees

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 13:40:33 »
I had crashes and tried to reproduce them. I found the following:

• After every Photoshop update one should reinstall Nik, or it will not run stable. I guess CC Update overwrites files Nik needs with other versions.
  • Take great care that your Photoshop locale and language version is the same as the one of Nik. I use EN/US on both as I always did.
  • Never start a Nik filter while PS is saving a file in the background.

These were the reasons for crashes I could identify yet. Since I follow these rules no more crashes have occured.

Reinstalled nik collection: no avail opened tiff in ps cc 2017 opened color efex one preset photoshop crashed,
retried after closing background program DxO proceeded with same edits now with success.

fafield

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Frank Field Photography; Edge Light Images: Light, Land & Ocean of Northern California
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 15:09:02 »
Let's not overlook the very good news here - the NiK suite should be getting the care and feeding it was denied while part of Google. That has to be a good thing. In my view, the NiK control-point technology continues to be the best way to handle local optimization in images. It was head and shoulders above anything from Adobe when it first appeared over ten years ago and continues to excel. Sure, there are bug issues aplenty at the moment. Some of these will be the usual Adobe issues with software regression defects that are too numerous whenever Adobe touches its software; others will be artifacts of years of neglect by Google. A big thanks to DxO for rescuing NiK and best wishes to them for future successful evolution of the NiK suite.
Frank Field
The Sea Ranch, California

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 17:35:09 »
Let's not overlook the very good news here - the NiK suite should be getting the care and feeding it was denied while part of Google. That has to be a good thing. In my view, the NiK control-point technology continues to be the best way to handle local optimization in images. It was head and shoulders above anything from Adobe when it first appeared over ten years ago and continues to excel. Sure, there are bug issues aplenty at the moment. Some of these will be the usual Adobe issues with software regression defects that are too numerous whenever Adobe touches its software; others will be artifacts of years of neglect by Google. A big thanks to DxO for rescuing NiK and best wishes to them for future successful evolution of the NiK suite.
Agree 100%

I first used the control points in CNX2, so simple to use and not scary or space consumers like PS layers and the difficult to master selection techniques

I assume the control points were then known to more people when this were made available via  the NiK collection

I was excited when google picked it up, also upset because I did pay for my license , then dissapointed when they dropped support

Lets see what DXO can make of the NiK collection

PS: now if someone would pick CNXD and make it a decent application  ;D
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 00:59:08 »
Agree 100%

I first used the control points in CNX2, so simple to use and not scary or space consumers like PS layers and the difficult to master selection techniques ....

I've had nothing but trouble trying to find a half decent raw converter/editor to replace(and wean myself off) CNX2.
I'm currently trialling PhotoLab, and am having a better time of it than I've had with C1 and LR(4 and 5).
I think I'm close to actually deciding to pay for it,, even tho I still have about 20 days left on the trial.

C1 was OK ..  nice and fast operating IQ was nice .. just needed more work than CNX2 for me.
LR is a pile of bovine waste IMO. I don't want/need DAM, and it'd DAM isn't worth a damn anyhow. Was slower than all other software that I've had by a mile(even CNX-D!)made worse by forcing the catalog feature on you.
 And I hated the inability to simply navigate to a directory and locate an image randomly and play. Everything had to be 'imported' which is a massive waste of resources and time.
Worst $100 I've ever wasted.. would have been better off directed at a random homeless person or something.

So I've tried this new PhotoLab .. and I reckon it may suit your preferences Armando.
We both seem to have a preference for the simple/quick/easy style of 'point and edit'.

There a few major differences between the Nikon way CCPs work and the way they're done in PhotoLab .. and I think it'll just be a matter of getting used to the differences.
I personally can't see the need for DXO to have a blur slider in the U-point tool, but it's there is required.
The other major difference(I can't find a way to resolve) is the strength level of the tool. In the CNX2 implementation the effect is more gradual(in a radial sense), but in the DXO version, the is a lot of added strength to the centre portion of the selection.

ie. if you want to darken a section of a particular colour in a wide ranging area, in the Nikon CCP the effect of darkening that colour is more gradual over the radius of the selection. In the DXO method there is an additional strength to the middle of the selection relative to the rest of the radial area. So it can produce 'dark spots' of sorts. They need care when making adjustments.

The last major difference between the CNX2 and DXO versions is the way you need to access them when creating and editing the control points. CNX2 is better in that you had a list of any points created(on the RHS), and even tho you created a copy of one control point you could still be allowed to edit that copy in a different manner to tweak a specific area to different taste.
With DXO tho, if you make copies of one control point those copies are tied to the original .. so to tweak a control point in DXO requires new control points, which is a clunkier method of creating them in the first place(compared to CNX2).

My feelings would be that you would probably be a convertee to this new software, but that it'll take some time to get used to it.
Note that if you do trial it(I recommend you try it too) when you use the Local Adjustments tool(click on it), rightclick the image area to invoke the options for all of those tools.

PS: now if someone would pick CNXD and make it a decent application ....

Best thing Nikon could do with CNX-D is to break all ties they have with Ichikawa soft(the makers of SilkyPix) and collaborate with DXO to give us back our CNX2 update path! ;)
Arthur

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 05:28:23 »
I first used the control points in CNX2, so simple to use and not scary or space consumers like PS layers and the difficult to master selection techniques
I assume the control points were then known to more people when this were made available via  the NiK collection

A lot of people still use NX-2 for that reason which is easily done even with D850 files, by opening your RAW in NX-D and then use "open with..."
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 00:01:46 »

....  easily done even with D850 files, by opening your RAW in NX-D and then use "open with..."

Easily done, but this relegates the CNX2 file being worked on as a tiff file only.
Whilst that's not a bad thing, CNX2's ability on NEF files is better than tiff.
And the finished tiff file via CNX2 is going to be quite large compared to the same finished image of an NEF file. Usually about 2.5x larger file sizes(dependent on the contents in the image).

Then there's the issue of using CNX-D in the first place. While it's only just bearable with D800 files, using the sample D850 files I've downloaded .. it basically just stops midway through most edit operations.
Doesn't crash so much, as it just ceases to perform image refreshes.
I know my system resources(CPU/RAM/SSD) speeds aren't the issue as I have plenty enough to run D800 files slowly in CNX-D(but speedily via CNX2 and VNX2).. it's just a terrible software overall other than the quality of it's resultant NEF files.

The more I mess around with this Photo Lab program, the more I like it(ie. getting used to it's workflow).
One of the tools I'm missing tho is the ability to use the vignette tool to ADD some vignetting to an image(easily).

With the CNX2 and CNX-D vignette tools, you can add some vignetting with a negative number(eg. -1 to -100) ... as well as removal of vignetting(ie. 1-200) and having that flexibility is always nice for various image requirements.
Arthur