Author Topic: Borneo little adventure...  (Read 7279 times)

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
Borneo little adventure...
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:41:24 »
Following Ann's brave lead, I visited Borneo with my family for a week. While Ann (queen of Sabah!) went to the north of the island, we explored Sarawak on the western side. Our plan was to get at taste of the jungle in Mulu national park and to see animals near Kuching, especially at Bako National Park.
I am definitely not equipped for safari and was not ready to invest in a long lens that I would not use otherwise, so I had to do with what was available:
- Fuji X-T1
- Samyang 12mm f/2
- Fuji XF 18-55 f2.8-4
- Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 for really low light situations and portrait
- Nikkor 75-150 f/3.5 Series E: my safari lens!
- A small Jobo flexible tripod that proved useful in many situations

We were actually lucky enough to see a lot a wildlife from really close and while a longer lens (Fuji 100-400?) would have been nice in some situations, my macro lens (Tamron 90mm) would have been even better as we saw a lot of facinating small wildlife such as stick insects. Fortunately the Fuji kit lens has some OK close-up capabilities.
I have no complaints about the X-T1 as ISO 6400 is still very decent and proved enough in most cases, except in caves where my small tripod saved the day.

We landed in Miri, coming from Singapore. Miri was completely destroyed during WW2 and rebuilt in a functional and cheap, tasteless manner that makes the city look quite unattrative. Fortunately people of Borneo easily make up with a warm and welcoming smile. Anyway miri was just a one night stop, with great seafood, before catching a morning flight to Mulu National park, just behind Brunei. Mulu is accessible by air or with a 3 days longboat trip on many curving rivers. While this sounds really attractive we did not have enough time for such an adventure and picked the quick option... 30 minutes in the air over what is left of the coastal jungle and what replaced most of it (huge palm trees plantations) and you are in another world (picture 1). Mulu is mostly renowned for its magnificent caves hosting millions of bats, for spectacular rocks shaped as needles (the Pinnacles) and for its botanic diversity.
We spent two days there and opted out the Pinnacles as it takes three days in the jungle to go there and come back.
The jungle is full of wildlife but it is actually very hard to see any without the help of a knowledgeable guide. Fortunately Mulu's rangers and guides were hired from the local village made of sedenterized Bantan people. They have spent thousands of years in the jungle and know everything about it, and have developed admirable social skills: there is no history of conflict, they share everything they have with the group, there is no private property, and they never predate on other human groups. The worse insult in this civilization is to be accused of not sharing...
Our first guide took us to Deer and Lang caves, about 4 km away from the headquarters. The man knows everything about plants and their ability to heal, kill or feed you. We walked on a wooden path (Picture 2) and actually saw a lot from there (pictures 3 to 5).
Pictures of the caves are in the next post.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
Re: Borneo little adventure...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:05 »
Deer cave is the largest cave in the world accessible to tourists. you could easily park the Queen Mary 2 in its main room. It is also home to 7 millions of small black bats that hang on the ceiling, more than 100m above our heads. we did not see many individuals during the day, but black patches made of hundred of thousands of them.
What you can't miss is the ammonia smell of their dejections. In some places the floor is really soft, I wonder why!
It is hard to stay dry in this cave as water is dripping from everywhere. At some places, it really looks like a shower.

The last picture shows the entrance of the cave, from which the bats exit in huge clouds at sunset. We were there of course but they decided to stay at home for the night. The guide said the temperature was too low (only 28°C!).
I have added a video (not mine!) found on Youtube that shows the almost daily exodus. They can go as far as 60km from the cave and come back with 30 tons of insects...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgz-CBTh7VM

Pictures 6 to 11

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 12:59:10 »
Olivier, I'm enjoying your viewpoint that is, as easily predictable, very different from Ann's.

You captured a very unique cicada.  Borneo is full of wonder...

You have more to share, right?    :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 13:59:37 »
Hi Akira, I have more indeed, I just need more time!
A cicada? I am so disappointed, I was hoping it was a unicorn!

Thanks for your nice words
Olivier

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 14:13:39 »
Hi Akira, I have more indeed, I just need more time!
A cicada? I am so disappointed, I was hoping it was a unicorn!

Thanks for your nice words
Olivier

Absolutely no need to be disappointed.  You are witnessing wonder of the nature!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 16:49:24 »
  Thanks Oliver for letting us take the trip with you.

Images are sensitive an interesting, as you do. Love that little creature -I´m sure is an unicorn posing as a cicada- and the images of the cave, specially the one with pouring water.  What a place!

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 19:09:45 »
Lovely photos, another interesting aspect of Borneo.
Anthony Macaulay

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 20:10:42 »
That's a great unicorn, Olivier.

Thanks for posting. Your pictures, and Ann's, are showing us a great side of our planet. 
Bruno Schröder

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 08:26:40 »
I am enjoying these beautiful photographs enormously.

There are bat caves in Sabah too but I simply did not have time to visit them and your dramatic photographs make me wish I had been able to fit in a visit to them.

I see that you also found one of those curious "Lantern Moths" (although they are not actually a moth). Their lantern lights-up at night with a bright blue light.

I am longing to see more of your pictures from the trip . . .

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 10:40:54 »
I see that you also found one of those curious "Lantern Moths" (although they are not actually a moth). Their lantern lights-up at night with a bright blue light.

Oh, I thought that was of Membracidae genus.   :-[

Thank you for the correction!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 10:48:30 »
great proof of the old wisdom that it is the photographer who makes the picture not tje equipment. We know you as an exceptionally skilled pixel composer in real light and infrared and it shows. wonderful perspectives, sensitive design, great feel for the space you explore.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:34 »
Beautiful set of images. Sorry you didn't saw the bats flying out.

I especially like the cave-images. :)
Chris Dees

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 13:10:18 »
Very interesting series with some beautiful images - thank you.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 16:41:37 »
Thanks everyone, you all are too kind!

On our way back to the lodge we found a good looking scorpion on a tree just next to the path. My son lit it with his phone (it was really dark by then) while I too the picture.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 16:48:05 »
The day after we traveled by boat up the river to visit another cave. The trip itself was really interesting as it let us visit a Bantan village, and it is also a good opportunity to see birds and the jungle itself.
The cave looked like the endless stomach of a whale, and looking from the entrance it evoked the open mouth that just swallowed us...

Pictures 13 to 18.