Author Topic: Batteries for D4s and D3  (Read 3748 times)

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Batteries for D4s and D3
« on: October 19, 2017, 18:13:11 »
The batteries for my D4s and my old D3 are all reaching level 4 now and therefore I need new ones.

According  to Nikon both EN- EL18 and 18b are compatible with D4s, and the same for D3 and EN- EL4 and 4a.

Any difference regarding performance?

What about non- original batteries, not worth «the risk»?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Batteries for D4s and D3
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 19:02:56 »
The 'b' versions should be backwards compatible, never had any issues there. As to performance, the "b" should perhaps perform a tad better.

Third-party batteries can be so-so. Sometimes they work great, sometimes they have a short life span or fail miserably. On the other hand they are (much) cheaper, but in the longer run perhaps not so much.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 19:54:33 »
The 'b' versions should be backwards compatible, never had any issues there. As to performance, the "b" should perhaps perform a tad better.

Third-party batteries can be so-so. Sometimes they work great, sometimes they have a short life span or fail miserably. On the other hand they are (much) cheaper, but in the longer run perhaps not so much.

Thank you, Bjørn!

Yes, I’m a bit worried about using third- party batteries. I haven’t got any experience myself, though.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 20:09:01 »
My third party batteries for my Panasonic DMC-LC1, Sony Cybershot P/S and my Nikon Df all work as well as the original batteries;  the Panasonic  and the Sony  and their  batteries are rather old.  I'd not replace any of my camera batteries with originals, from the standpoint of cost alone.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:29:01 »

I went for new ones, EN- EL18B and EN- EL4  8).

I must say that "the dinosaur", D3, is still capable of great file quality, even in 2017  :).

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 13:47:36 »
Does anyone know how Nikon determines the useful battery life remaining in their batteries? I've read that some devices do not count a less than 50% discharge as a discharge cycle. The batteries for my D800 all say they are new?

I have two Nikon EN-EL15 batteries and one Watson equivalent. I haven't had any problems with the Watson. It's rated for 100mAh less the Nikon batteries but I haven't noticed a difference. It's very seldom that I discharge a battery lower than 40%. The Watson came as a "FREE BEE" when I bought my D800 from B&H. I tend to be skeptical of brand-x batteries but I've had no problems with the Watson. 

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!