Author Topic: Creative Cloud 2018 out!!!  (Read 24518 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Creative Cloud 2018 out!!!
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2017, 10:25:15 »
I discovered the answer to the question of where LR Classic stores original NEF images synced from the cloud (which had been uploaded into the cloud using LR CC).

At first everything looked fine as the files appeared along with adjustments made in the iPhone LR CC in the LR Classic catalog. However, I wanted to know where the originals had been downloaded to, and that was ... "unknown". Yesterday I discovered that there was in fact a subdirectory created by LR Classic to store the files and its name was "unknown". I thought "unknown" meant they were in an unknown location.. So all is well, you can get the originals with adjustments back from the cloud if you want to store them somewhere yourself. I expected this to be possible I was just concerned about the "unknown" location of storage.  :) I think it would be better if the software asked where those files should be stored.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2017, 11:45:56 »
The CS6 Users have now received possibly the last update which they will get for CS6 (it includes support for D850 and, I believe, a few newer lenses too).

But that's it!

So those Users now have to decide whether they want to stick with CS6, buy a subscription to Creative Cloud, or buy something else entirely.

According to Adobe there will be one last update at the end of the year.
Probably a few camera’s (A7RIII) and a few lensprofiles.
Chris Dees

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2017, 17:33:49 »
My downloads from the Lr CC Cloud are going into a folder called "Lightroom CC Saved Photos".
I first created that folder  and then selected that destination in the Prefs.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2017, 22:46:27 »

Per Inge: You should really read Ben Falk if this is your hones opinion!

http://www.wholesystemsdesign.com/who-we-are
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2017, 23:50:00 »
I just took the plunge. Updated to Lr Classic CC & Ps CC 2017, but I didn't touch Lr CC. Everything is faster on my new Mac Core i7. I tried Process v4 (current) on an old image and I think I like it better than Process v3 (2012), at least so far. Plugs-ins (NIK, Luminar, etc) all show as active, but the only one I tried was Ps. No problems to report, but before I get too excited, I'm still on Sierra. We'll see what happens with High Sierra when I see a .1 update and upgrade to it. 'Til then............

I did have a cloned backup on hand in the event things went badly with the update and the new catalogue.
Carl

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2017, 00:56:15 »
I am so glad that the installation went smoothly.

Do make a point of going through the Prefs. — especially the settings in the Performance Tab.
And explore the new Settings in the Importing set-up: "Build Previews: Embedded and Sidecars"

Process 4 only really differs from Process 3 in that it has enabled Range Masking and is ready to support other new tools which may be developed in the future.
But Auto Toning has been adjusted from the previous version and you may want to build new Presets of your own as a starting point.

I would be in no hurry to "upgrade"(?) to High Sierra . . .

I am still resolutely using El Capitan.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2017, 01:44:40 »
I am so glad that the installation went smoothly.

Do make a point of going through the Prefs. — especially the settings in the Performance Tab.
And explore the new Settings in the Importing set-up: "Build Previews: Embedded and Sidecars"

Process 4 only really differs from Process 3 in that it has enabled Range Masking and is ready to support other new tools which may be developed in the future.
But Auto Toning has been adjusted from the previous version and you may want to build new Presets of your own as a starting point.

I would be in no hurry to "upgrade"(?) to High Sierra . . .

I am still resolutely using El Capitan.

If I was in a hurry I'd already have High Sierra, but I am interested in APFS which HS brings to the table. No APFS yet for those using spinners, it's all for SSDs so far, or so I've been told.

Everyone has their own reasons for which OS they prefer, but I like to stay current. That doesn't mean that I fall into the early adopter, or beta user class. El Cap is on the bottom end of sys prefs support for the new CC apps, so you'll be moving eventually. Perhaps as soon next Fall when HS's replacement drops support for 32 bit apps.

Thanks for the tip about the Lr Prefs, I've not yet looked into them.

I grabbed an old image, moved it into Develop, then went to the Process versions and switched back and forth using v4 and v3 which showed a definite difference in the image, which had been originally over exposed.
Carl

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2017, 01:59:07 »
I only install anew version of OSX when my Apps require it and, so far, they don't.

I don't use any of Apple's own Apps but when Photoshop etc. require a newer OSX, I will probably only install the final version of Sierra.

It's always the compatibility between a new OSX and  the Drivers for supplementary Hardware (Tablets, scanners, card readers and printers) which seem to cause the big issues and which always seem to take months before they eventually get fixed.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2017, 06:12:46 »
I only install anew version of OSX when my Apps require it and, so far, they don't.

I don't use any of Apple's own Apps but when Photoshop etc. require a newer OSX, I will probably only install the final version of Sierra.

It's always the compatibility between a new OSX and  the Drivers for supplementary Hardware (Tablets, scanners, card readers and printers) which seem to cause the big issues and which always seem to take months before they eventually get fixed.

Well, Sierra is not in The App Store any longer, and it's not showing in my purchase history. The senior techs at AppleCare were taken by surprise by this move, and they offered to pay a local third party Apple vendor (Mac Media) to load Sierra back on one of my Macs after I wiped the drive in anticipation  of getting rid of that Mac. They became involved for over 2 days when I bought 2 new Macs last month to replace 2 that I was getting rid of. They couldn't even get one of our 5 local Apple Stores to do it because "they don't like working on machines over 4 yrs old", according to the senior tech that i talked to. I'm not alone either, I know of other people that are missing Sierra from their App Store history. I've not seen any explanation of this behavior.

You might want to get the Sierra installer at your earliest opportunity, in case it becomes even harder to find than it is now. The second machine needed to have El Cap re-loaded, and that took a few hours to iron out with AppleCare, and they had to get an authorization even though it clearly shows in my App Store history. HTH
Carl

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2017, 07:12:35 »
I haven't read all the 8 pages in this thread,
I have copied and pasted below, a recent entry from Brad Hill, about how to achieve a speedy route to see all preview files.
Hope it supplies a solution to some of the Cons that are being mentioned.

Most of those who use Adobe Lightroom for some part of their raw workflow probably know that Adobe updated the CC version(s) of Lightroom last week. In that process they split Lightroom into two versions - Lightroom Classic CC (for those in workflow with "locally" stored files) and Lightroom CC (for those working with images stored in "the cloud").

One of the things that has ALWAYS frustrated me with Lightroom is how darned long it takes to build previews (whether standard or 1:1, etc.). I typically had Lightroom build standard previews upon image import (to speed that process) but all that really did was delay the inevitable and slow down my image culling when I tried to view and/or compare images at 1:1 (as I waited for Lightroom to build 1:1 previews).

Anyway...for users of the new Lightroom Classic AND who shoot with the "latest" Nikon and Canon cameras you can cut this preview-building time to almost zero (really!). All you have to do is tell Lightroom to use "Embedded & Sidecar" previews when importing your files (you specify this in the File Handling portion of the Import dialog box). The embedded previews are those built by the camera itself and included within your raw files. Because the latest Nikons and Canons build FULL-SIZE embedded previews there is NEVER a need for Lightroom to take the time to build full-size (or 1:1) previews. So you can view previews of ANY of your images at 1:1 virtually instantly (i.e., right after import). And, when you do get around to culling your images and may want to view them at 100% (1:1) those previews are available instantly! Very fast. Very cool.

I have tested this feature with the Nikon D5, Nikon D500, and Nikon D850 and can confirm that each of those cameras DO have full-size embedded previews. At this point I can't say how many Nikon camera generations we can go back and still find that the previews that they produce are full-size. Sony, Olympus, and Fuji cameras don't produce full-sized embedded previews.

What if you want Lightroom-generated previews for editing (post-processing) purposes? Just go into Lightroom's Preferences dialog box and select the "General" tab and look for the checkbox beside this option: "Replace embedded previews with standard previews during idle time". And then check that box (it's unchecked by default). Because I process my raw files using Capture One Pro I have no need at all to replace those embedded previews with those generated by Lightroom (I use Lightroom only for image-ingestion and image management purposes including image culling, but not for image processing/editing).

Cheers...
John Gallagher

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2017, 07:30:00 »
Carl:

Fortunately, I already have the Sierra Installer saved on a HD: downloading the current installer is something I always make sure that I do before September rolls around each year.
It's very odd because Apple Store is currently showing "no new downloads available" and no screen promoting High Sierra either.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2017, 07:42:52 »
John:

Your comments were extremely helpful.

I primarily use a Bridge-hosted ACR workflow and will continue to use Lr Classic CC only for its Cloud-hosting and Mobile services — for which I have always made Smart Previews.

I haven't yet experimented to see if the Cloud can use an Embedded Sidecar from Lr Classic CC; or it it still needs to be fed a Smart Preview.

While Lr CC is fast and efficient, it does grab an awful lot of one's HD for its Library which is not so good for people who are high-volume shooters travelling with a laptop on extended trips!

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2017, 10:42:53 »
New Lr versions available. Main feature is the Auto adjust button which works this time and is using Sensei, Adobe's  Artificial Intelligence feature. The edit result doesn't corresponds entirely to my editing, but it offers a good and workable base for further editing.

Note: the old Auto was completely unworkable with e.g. systematic over-exposure. 
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2017, 10:59:20 »
Note: the old Auto was completely unworkable with e.g. systematic over-exposure.

Downloaded it yesterday, tried the new “auto” for fun, it still overexposed more than not on the images I tested it with.
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2017, 14:35:20 »
Overexposure was OK with the 30 pictures I tested on; what I noticed, however, was the systematic contrast reduction (negative figure).
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν