Author Topic: Milkweed seeds, wind velocity, resolution  (Read 1752 times)

Robert Camfield

• NG Member
  • Hello from MadTown
Milkweed seeds, wind velocity, resolution
« on: October 07, 2017, 05:02:10 »
The release of seeds from milkweed pods can is rather fascinating: seeds get scattered by the breeze as they emerge, once pods slit open - a process certainly common to much flora. It is, however, the long, micro-thin, white hairs attached to seeds which set milkweed apart. Recording milkweed seeds is difficult as the hairs catch air movements – any movement – and are in constant motion. Movement is of course the scrooge of sharp images.

See attached...The curious thing about these two images are the specification differences – reference file info. The less resolute image is A11 2243 A (1/4000 at F4, ASA 1250). Photo A11 2245 A (1//100 at F5.6, ASA 100) has the higher resolution, despite the 1/100 shutter speed! Wind velocities across micro areas are intermittent, varying randomly. For a second or two, the local breezes over this particular 40 square feet of backyard garden virtually stopped; 1/100 was enough though, yes, greater depth of field (5.6) and the slow ASA of image 2245 also contribute.

Taken with tripod, near dusk...Robert (Madison, Wisconsin)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Milkweed seeds, wind velocity, resolution
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 21:36:02 »
The milkweed seeds have a beautiful structure.  One could wish the shot was closer.
You have discovered what Airy called..and will forever be known as... 'statistical shooting'.  In the film days, the high-budget pros could shoot many frames just to be certain to get the one that captured the short moment in which both the wind stopped and camera shake was minimized.  Now, in digital, we can shoot dozens or hundreds of frames with no cash outlay. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Robert Camfield

• NG Member
  • Hello from MadTown
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 15:35:29 »
Apologies To All...I did not realize the software does not allow for a zoomed in view. Accordingly, I reattach partially cropped images which will hopefully providing for a better take of the differences.

Keith: Thanks much for your comments...Robert

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 15:38:57 »
I like the yellow flowers in the background. They would have had all of my attention :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen