Author Topic: Chipping 55mm f/1.2 Dandelion  (Read 11136 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Chipping 55mm f/1.2 Dandelion
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 11:06:22 »

Only the programming of the Dandelions is still an mental torture,,,

I admit I have little knowledge of what programming is involved, but is it not possible to pre-prepare, indeed perhaps have a library of different programs for different lenses and flash the pre-prepared code across to the chip?
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 20:35:41 »
I would be interested to see a drawing of where you can and cannot cut into the dandelion block …….
Yes, what I found out is that the Dandelions are not equal size, they differ in height especially, along the lens axis.You can trim the ends, you can trim the back curve and round off the corners.Then you can trim off more or less all martial between the pins, but hen you need to replace it with epoxy gule.
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 20:37:28 »
I admit I have little knowledge of what programming is involved, but is it not possible to pre-prepare, indeed perhaps have a library of different programs for different lenses and flash the pre-prepared code across to the chip?
All the Dandelions are pre-programmed to 45m f/2.8 i believe,,,
They are not designed like B's CPU's,,,So my guess would be no,,,
Erik Lund

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 22:33:23 »
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

acgiannopo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 14:58:47 »
Erik, i am interested in chipping a 50mm f/1,2 ai-s and a 85mm f/1,4 ai-s. Since Bjørn Rørslett's cpu chips aren't currently available and as i saw you used the dandelion ones, how much can you trim of the chip and still be usable and safe to install? 85mm has more space than the 50mm but still it's a challenging process. Thank you inadvance.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 15:29:02 »
My recommendation is to buy a handful of Dandelions and use the trial and error approach.

It's a few tenths of a millimeter you can remove from the rear, keeping the radius parallel front and rear, if you get too far the springs pop out, you stop just before that, when the plastic gets thin, feel it with a nail carefully.

The 50mm and 55mm 1.2 both needs trimming of the rear element all the way to the 'rear aperture' painted circle to clear, the rest you have to shave off the Dandelions rear, study the images. This is a great risk since you will be removing the aluminium that is holding the rear lens element in place.

Good luck, you will need it!

Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2023, 09:39:09 »
I just stumbled over this image in my folders; Dandelion decay,,,
Erik Lund

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2023, 12:36:22 »
Oops, I have a couple of lenses with good chips installed by you but the 16mm 3.5 has a dandelion. Crossing my fingers

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2023, 14:39:07 »
Mine is still working, but I don't use it everyday.
It's the only Dandelion chip I have, all others are "real" chips.
I could use a few regular chips though.  ;)
Chris Dees

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2023, 14:51:31 »
Thank you for taking great care of it ;)
Erik Lund

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2023, 15:19:18 »
Me too.  With the Ukraine situation, even finding Dandelions will be increasingly problematic.

I could use a few regular chips though.  ;)
Hugh Gunn

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2023, 15:26:50 »
what I´ve seen (without personal experience), Andrey Kuryanov is shipping from Slovenia and offers programming for you, if you give him the exact lens spec before ordering in ebay
Thomas Stellwag

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2023, 20:52:02 »
what I´ve seen (without personal experience), Andrey Kuryanov is shipping from Slovenia and offers programming for you, if you give him the exact lens spec before ordering in ebay

It was from Slovakia, not Slovenia, he lives just across the Slovak border. With the war, now it's difficult for him to cross the Ukraine-Slovakia border, so he ships from Ukraine (outside EU), and there's some customs fee, but he's very kind on the value declaration. I just happen to have bought 4 chips from him. It's true that he will do the programming for you, and you can always change your mind and reprogram the chip for another type of lens. Not a big deal, programming can be done from most digital Nikons, except D1-D1H-D1X and D2X-D2H. Haven't tried programming with a Nikon Z camera, fearing the FTZ adapter would kick in in an adverse fashion, if anyone is brave enough to try it, I'll stick to programming with a D600 or a D7000.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2023, 03:01:44 »
Thank you Thomas & thank you Massimo.  Good to know.
Hugh Gunn

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2023, 09:53:08 »
I vaguely remember programming a dandelion with a Z and ZFC. I think it’s worth the risk.

My problems were sticking the buggers to a lens in such a way that it didn’t mangle the contacts.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo