Author Topic: 100% view with the multi-function (ok-button) on D600?  (Read 3642 times)

PEL

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
100% view with the multi-function (ok-button) on D600?
« on: September 26, 2017, 01:02:23 »
When I examine pictures on my D800, I just press the multi-function button to get 100% enlargement. On D600 this is not a possibilty, the firmware does not support this. Is there someone sitting on modified firmware fixing this issue? I have been on sites like nikonhacker, but can't find any help. To me it seems like Nikon just has turned this option off in the firmware because it works the other way. When you have pressed the + button (several times) to examine your picture, you go right back to zero by pressing the ok button just like D800. For someone with the right knowlegde, I guess it could be an easy match to fix the firmware? My D600 is a modified fullspectrum body. For IR photography diffraction kicks in 1 1/2 f stop before than with normal light. That makes it even more annoying not to get a 100% veiw by just pressing a button once...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: 100% view with the multi-function (ok-button) on D600?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 11:08:18 »
I do not have my D600 handy so question of understanding the problem better: is it possible to assign 100% to any button but not to the Middle of the Multiselector? Or is there no option for 100% zoom on the 600 at all?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:50:26 »
Sorry - It's Not possible to change this.

Nikon took a decision that this 100% zoom functionality was/is not needed on the non-pro bodies,,, D7000 has the same lack of 100% zoom.

You need to buy a new body, to the top of the line, to solve this.
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:15:54 »
Nikon continued to save the function on the next model (D610) as well.  Big bummer.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 15:12:49 »
Sorry - It's Not possible to change this.

Nikon took a decision that this 100% zoom functionality was/is not needed on the non-pro bodies,,, D7000 has the same lack of 100% zoom.

You need to buy a new body, to the top of the line, to solve this.

It's back on the D7100 with three choices for magnification, though the percentage is not specified.   (but it appears that "medium" is 100 percent)

I think it's present also on the D7200 but have not checked.  The manual only shows that some option exists but not what it is, so I will have to find my wife's D7200 to check it.

edit to add: yes, it's on the D7200 too, and the percentages are shown also (medium is 1:1).  The D7200 manual is about half the format size of the D7100, and they apparently had to save ink, but at least they did not stint so much on pixels!

A final edit to add:  I just looked up the D7500, and it's there too.  The menu item has moved from F1 to F2.

PEL

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 21:21:11 »
Ok, this meens Nikon can fix the problem in a firmware update if they want to. Why don't we have undependent software produsers giving us what WE want when Nikon won't do it? There is to little money in it, or is the software protected? Though the D600 doesn't have this feature, it has the U1 and U2 settings that I miss on my D800! I can't see why this can't be implementet when pressing the mode button. You should also be able to choose more than 2 extra settings by choise... I would be willing to pay for upgrades like this from a third part produser!

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:56:47 »
I have often wondered why there is not a Nikon equivalent of Magic Lantern, but apparently the firmware is pretty hard to crack.  I've seen a few efforts but most are aimed at video, especially at the time limitation for shots.  It does look as if the OK button replay zoom should be a firmware fix, just as I'm sure the disabling of focus trapping on the D7100 is (it's enabled in both D7000 and D7200).  I even saw one posting in a forum for this stuff that mentioned the OK button zoom in the D600 and 610.   So far, though, no joy. 

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 04:06:02 »
[redacted]

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 05:57:50 »
D610 doesn't have it, but D750 does.

As far as I know, D750 is the only "enthusiast" (IE rotary mode dial=equipped) Nikon that does have this feature?

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 10:18:18 »
Ok, this meens Nikon can fix the problem in a firmware update if they want to. Why don't we have undependent software produsers giving us what WE want when Nikon won't do it? There is to little money in it, or is the software protected? Though the D600 doesn't have this feature, it has the U1 and U2 settings that I miss on my D800! I can't see why this can't be implementet when pressing the mode button. You should also be able to choose more than 2 extra settings by choise... I would be willing to pay for upgrades like this from a third part produser!
Also the setting for saving the RAW uncompressed would be very welcome...   I guess the system is well protected for 'changes' like this.     

On the other hand, the D600 is pretty cheap and it's relatively easy to live without them ;) 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 21:23:54 »
As far as I know, D750 is the only "enthusiast" (IE rotary mode dial=equipped) Nikon that does have this feature?

THat's right.  FWIW, D7100 was the first "enthusiast" D7x00 models with the feature.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 02:20:47 »
[redacted]