Author Topic: Camera (Df) settings I don't use  (Read 3474 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Camera (Df) settings I don't use
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:33:15 »
Cameras have gotten so complicated with cameras... so many settings I don't use, sometimes I wonder if I am missing out...

• shooting menu - I set Raw, auto WB, and I do use auto ISO
  • custom settings banks I don't use, I use 39 AF points and wish I had more, I don't customize buttons, I don't use bracketing

I could list more, but you get the idea. I shoot mostly in M with some A, auto ISO, set the aperture, speed, and sometimes some Exp Comp.  Maybe that's why I like the Df so much, all the things I need are on the outside!

I'd be curious if there are any special settings people use on the Df or really any camera.

Edit: changed title

Cheers,
Rob.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Df settings I don't use
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 03:15:04 »
The setting up of the Df probably reflects individual priorities and shooting habits, thus hard to "recommend" any control layout over others.

For what it's worth, my Df is set up to use RAW (only), auto W/B, M exposure mode (only), AF-ON by the rear control button (in the not too frequent situation I find need for an AF lens), no Auto ISO, aperture control on the lens (again, if a lens without aperture ring is attached, the camera falls back to the default of using the camera dial), manual quick +- 2/3 EV adjustment of exposure time by the rear command dial), constant meter correction of -1/6 EV for matrix and -1/3 EV for spot (I have the K-3 split screen), single frame mode (on occasion, up to 3 frames/sec). As I rarely use AF, I don't care much about those autofocus features anyway. Virtually all my manual lenses in F mount are CPU-modified and that helps to improve the smoothness and efficiency of Df operation. No wrongly selected 'non-CPU' lens.

I don't use bracketing, but quite often multiple exposure and then always with Auto Gain OFF.

The locked control dials are superb. No chance to get wrong settings by accident. The D500 could do well with similar facilities as I all too often find myself with that camera out of its defined settings.

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Re: Camera (Df) settings I don't use
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 04:18:23 »
I wish the lever that controls the frame rate could also be locked. It is always involuntary displaced by my finger.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:22:48 »
Thanks!

manual quick +- 2/3 EV adjustment of exposure time by the rear command dial), constant meter correction of -1/6 EV for matrix and -1/3 EV for spot (I have the K-3 split screen)

I'll have to look at the first one there, not familiar. I do use AF-ON on the back, forgot to mention.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:51:07 »
The locked control dials are superb. No chance to get wrong settings by accident. The D500 could do well with similar facilities as I all too often find myself with that camera out of its defined settings.

Does the D500 have a menu option to lock aperture and shutter speed? My D800 has and I've programed the video record button plus turn the command or sub-command dial to active this feature. My D2H had the feature but my D300s didn't. I hope the D850 has as I'm negotiating to sell my soul.

Dave

I hope I pecked what I think I did. I can scarsly see what I write on this phone.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:09:47 »
Maybe a user more versed in the intricacies of the D500 can point out the solution of locking the displacement of +- adjustment. Or maybe I found this in the manual? It's been a long while since I used that camera ...

Dave, don't "sell your soul". No camera is worth it.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 20:03:02 »
My settings : mostly A + AutoISO (M when doing macro). Aperture control using the ring, so the left hand has got something to do. Anyway, that Summicron R and those old PC lenses got no aperture coupling.

Quiet mode, or sometimes 3 i/s. When using AF, it gets activated with AF/ON, nothing else. In such case, I generally use a single AF point. In general, I use MF lenses.

Exposure compensation via the top knob rather than the thumb wheel, because I too often knock it by accident.
I also use the mirror delay for long exposures. One more customization: the button below DOF control is used to switch between AutoISO and fixed ISO, in combination with the thumbwheel. This is obviously useful in combination with long exposure times, and also when using shift lenses
Airy Magnien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 00:33:42 »
I use custom setting f13 with my D800 to assign the movie-record button plus rotate command or sub-command dial to lock the shutter speed or aperture. The same control appears to work for the D800E and D810. It looks like f1 can do this for the for the D500 and D850. I start movies with the shutter release as I don't take stills and movies at the same time. I only dabble in video.

Occasionally I change the shutter when using flash when I don't want to. That's the primary reason I use this feature. 

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 00:53:33 »
Cameras have gotten so complicated with cameras... so many settings I don't use, sometimes I wonder if I am missing out...

I've been hearing this since the Nikon F5. With modern dSLR there are custom settings and shooting menu banks. Set at least one up as you want your camera to respond. Save those settings to your memory card(s). The camera will create a BIN file. Save that file to your computer. Each time you format a memory card. I normally do this only at my primary computer, restore the BIN file to the memory card. Very Important: wright protect the BIN file on the primary memory card if you have two. This keeps you from accidentally over-writing your default settings.

Now setup a MY Menu. On the first page place "Save/Load setting." Now you can load your defaults anytime you need to.

With my F5 I setup the custom settings I changed one or two over the years. At first it was months then I settled into years before changes. The confusion went a way.

The custom settings aren't the problem. Having the camera do something unexpected and loosing shots because one setting is wrong is. Set it up and leave it and the camera becomes predictable.

It's never going to get as simple as a Nikon F with a Gossen LunaPro or Pentax Spotmeter, dSLR(s) are too complicated but one can simplify.

Dave Hartman

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 02:14:52 »
For me the whole point of the Df is to keep it simple.
M + Auto ISO
Aperture is on the lens
Shutter speed on the rear dial
Matrix meter
Exposure comp on the top left dial
All else can be handled when developing the image.

I use timer set at 2 sec when using a long lens.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 03:35:15 »
For me the whole point of the Df is to keep it simple.
M + Auto ISO
Aperture is on the lens
Shutter speed on the rear dial
Matrix meter
Exposure comp on the top left dial
All else can be handled when developing the image.

I use timer set at 2 sec when using a long lens.

Yes, I agree. I think there is a place for a stripped down camera with fewer settings. I'm sure that would be hard for Nikon to do...risky.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 16:54:17 »
"a place for a stripped down camera,. . . ." yes, I think the Df should come with almost no firmware installed, but a firmware site where buyers can go and download as much or as little as they choose.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 22:04:37 »
Yes, I agree. I think there is a place for a stripped down camera with fewer settings. I'm sure that would be hard for Nikon to do...risky.

1) review all the custom settings, try them.
2) save one's own defaults in a BIN file to the primary memory card (only card if a camera only has one).
3) backup that BIN file to one's primary computer.
4) wright protect the BIN file on the primary memory card so it can't be over-written in camera.
5) only format the primary memory card at one's computer.
6) restore the BIN file after formatting and again write protect it.
7) Load the BIN file, restore it in camera when ever needed with the in camera's menu option.

There will never be a dSLR from Nikon or anyone else as simple as a Nikon F with standard prism: shutter speed, aperture, focus. It won't happen. There will never be a dSLR from Nikon or anyone as simple as a Nikon F3 add metering, ISO, Exposure Compensation and Aperture Preferred automation. Nikon would be stupid to try such a camera. It would not sell.

Customize the settings to one's preference and save them. Restore them as often as needed. One could finalize the custom settings for a camera like the Nikon Df in a week and then use those settings unchanged for months or years at a time. There is nothing wrong with making a camera that can be customized to a customers preference. The problem comes when something is miss set and the camera does not perform as expected.

Nikon does not offer in a high end dSLR with a simple way to save one's personal defaults in the camera and restore them quickly and safely. I believe this is a mistake. I would love to see a menu accessed U1, U2, U3 and U4. It could be added to the custom settings, accessed with a double press of the info button and added to "My Menu." These U setting should be protected with extra protection from being over written like the format process is.

What I do is a bit of a hack but it's quite easy to do. I only format my memory cards as needed not every time I upload. I only format after a quick backup to three HD(s) on two computers (three copies of each NEF). Formatting after each upload is like covering your mouth when you yawn. Devils won't enter your mouth when it's not covered.

Dave Hartman

I'll give up for a while but I marvel that I haven't seen one single comment on this simple work around any time that I've posted it in any thread.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 22:52:54 »
There might not be a DSLR but for sure a Leica M9 is the basic dials and settings and that's it.

And the menus are a close look and feel to Nikon, just much more basic, a joy to use.
Erik Lund

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 02:18:46 »

There will never be a dSLR from Nikon or anyone as simple as a Nikon F3 add metering, ISO, Exposure Compensation and Aperture Preferred automation. Nikon would be stupid to try such a camera. It would not sell.
Nikon does not offer in a high end dSLR with a simple way to save one's personal defaults in the camera and restore them quickly and safely. I believe this is a mistake. I would love to see a menu accessed U1, U2, U3 and U4. It could be added to the custom settings, accessed with a double press of the info button and added to "My Menu." These U setting should be protected with extra protection from being over written like the format process is.

I'll give up for a while but I marvel that I haven't seen one single comment on this simple work around any time that I've posted it in any thread.

Dave, thanks for sharing your approach. I am not having any trouble being on my desired setttings or being on the wrong settings, so I don't see this as a fit for me.

I have two points:
- as in all electronics and software, there is a mad dash for more and more camera features most of which very few customers use. Part of the appeal of the Df was back to basics and I think they could have simplified the feature set.

- I like hearing from people a specific setting they use, I might learn something !!

I agree with you Nikon won't ever do the simplification. Maybe they could just let us HIDE menus

My biggest challenge with the Df is low light AF. I think I should do more focus and recompose with the center point.