Author Topic: D850 XQD / SD  (Read 2882 times)

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
D850 XQD / SD
« on: September 23, 2017, 23:14:12 »
it appears that it may finally be time for me to abandon the CF/SD duopoly which has been my main media for cameras for a decade or more.

with the D500, i didn't notice a huge difference between a "280 MB/S" sandisk extreme pro SD-XC II card and a "440 MB/S" lexar CQD card.

on the d850, the difference is quite striking.

XQD card: 30 shots (14 bit compressed raw + large jpg) at CH, no stutter, and then 4.6 seconds to clear the buffer (green light off.)

SDXCii card: after 25 shots, frame rate dropped noticeably. buffer clear after 30 shots, 10.5 seconds.

read speeds on the computer side, which trouble me if it takes more than 5-10 minutes to transfer a big batch of shots, are closer, with the XQD only showing about a 15% edge.

anyone have an experience pro/con with sony vs lexar in the XQD space? i'm bummed sandisk doesn't make them - have always used their CF and SD. :(

charlie

• NG Supporter
Re: D850 XQD / SD
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 06:19:43 »
anyone have an experience pro/con with sony vs lexar in the XQD space?

I do not but last I heard Lexar's parent company is closing down Lexar so if relying on the manufacturer for future support is important to you, Sony would be the wiser choice.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:57:16 »
That will be a huge difference in the field for action photogs, thanks for sharing :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 14:16:36 »
I bought 2x64 2x128 and 2x32 all Lexar, all 2933x and I like them. I guess they will survive the demise of the company by many years. I guess they might even outlive some camera generations.

I did not have great experience with SD cards from different manufacturers, esp. the newer Sandisk faild on me several times, but also Lexar. I use tham as a backup device only in the hope that there will be something recoverable from them if the main XQD card fails.

I would like to see both slots XQD. I do not need SD-cards.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:14 »
I would like to see both slots XQD. I do not need SD-cards.

It's a marketing decision and probably the right one for Nikon. I don't care for SD cards. I can't say I've had problems with them. I just don't like them in a dSLR.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:13:13 »
i never minded the SD cards. they were rarely much slower than CF (at times in their evolution they were, at times faster), tended to be cheap, are very small, slots for them are all over the place, and they're so common that if you forgot your memory card you could buy one in the supermarket or drugstore in almost any decent sized city.

i went to a special family event once, a 75th birthday party for my mother at a restaurant downtown without a memory card. sat up to take some pics: -E-. quick trip out the front door, across street to walgreens, cheap throwaway 4GB card, memories saved!

i've also never had one fail.

but, it seems performance has left them behind, which is fine with me. i only hope that XQD spreads enough to be readily available from a few makers at good price/capacity/speed points.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 05:44:30 »
True what schwett says: Maybe SDs are the alkaline batteries of memory cards. You can get them anywhere cheaply...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:16:26 »
True what schwett says: Maybe SDs are the alkaline batteries of memory cards. You can get them anywhere cheaply...
Yes, 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro: US$21 currently...and, unlike alkaline batteries they are guaranteed not to leak corrosive materials into your device.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 06:22:07 »
I suspect that the SD card error is caused by the contact problem.

I've seen the error messages on my D7000 and D750 with Toshiba Exceria 16G, EXceria Pro 32G and Samsung PRO 32G SD cards as well as on my current GH5 with Exceria Pro (the same ones I used with D750).

The SD card slots on 13" MacBook Air I used and my current desktop PC would fail to recognize these cards.

But I've never lost any data on these cards, and all of them are eventually recognized after I push them in and out of the slot a few times.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:50:17 »
...you could buy one in the supermarket or drugstore in almost any decent sized city.

Even in ditty wah ditty?

Dave

...ain't no town and it ain't no city. :D
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!