Author Topic: Alternative Flash to SB-5000  (Read 6284 times)

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
Alternative Flash to SB-5000
« on: September 18, 2017, 20:35:47 »
So far I have used the SB-910 on my D750 and like it. I'd like to have a system with 2 to 3 battery operated speed lights which I can fit in my 2 Lastolite Stands and have them remote controlled using CLS. The SB910 is no longer produced and so I looked at the new SB-5000 first. Such a system with up to 3 such units is quite costly.

Now my questions:
Has anybody used the Metz Mecablitz 64 AF-1?
Any other suggestions to build such a system?
Daniel Diggelmann

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Alternative Flash to SB-5000
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 20:52:34 »
Friends who do use lots of flash tell me to better get 10 cheapo flash units than two originals. More important than the light source is the steering, pocket wizard or such system comes to mind. Lots of cheap units give more light....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 22:17:53 »
So far I have used the SB-910 on my D750 and like it. I'd like to have a system with 2 to 3 battery operated speed lights which I can fit in my 2 Lastolite Stands and have them remote controlled using CLS. The SB910 is no longer produced and so I looked at the new SB-5000 first. Such a system with up to 3 such units is quite costly.

Now my questions:
I use the Sb700 and I like it, mostly because it works with CLS and does high speed sync flash

I have used cheaper flashes that have to be manually adjusted and it seems to take me forever to get them right

the comment from Frank still applies for the price of one sb700 you can get two chinese flashes that do high speed sync and will be more powerful than the sb700
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 22:22:28 »
Now my questions:

I recognize the Metz name. It had a good reputation years ago. I've never owned any of their products. I've owned Nikon, Vivitar (when it was a US company sourcing products from Japan) and Rollei.

Suggestions...

Start with radio not IR, e.g. not Nikon SB-800, 910.
Start with speedlights with built in radios. This can save a lot of messing with batteries, hot shoes, cable. Much simpler to setup, more reliable.

---

The Nikon SB-800 is compatible with film, early Nikon dSLR and goes as far as the Nikon SB-900/910 in compatibility. Many preferred it to the Nikon SB-900. I own one and wish I'd bought a second when they were sold at a closeout price of $320.00 (USD).

I have a Nikon SB-700 and don't like the light pattern at the tele end. It's the same size and weight as the SB-800. I wish I hadn't bought the SB-700 but rather the SB-800.

---

I don't own one of these. They have a good reputation and are backed with a real and usable warranty and you can get after warranty service in most countries as apposed to eBay units that have no useful warranty...

Phottix Mitros+ TTL Transceiver Flash for Nikon

I own a Phottix Strato II radio trigger system. It's fully manual with 16 channels as 4 channels and 4 groups (4x4=16). I'm very please with this system though it's been on the market a long time now. I'd probably own a Phottix Odin system by now but I don't have the money. I'm a satisfied customer nothing more.

The products from LumoPro are quality products with parts that are sourced from reliable suppliers. This one as a built in radio receiver for Phottix Odin (TTL and manual) and (Phottix Strato II) manual only. The flash is not Nikon CLS compatible without an Odin transmitter on the camera.

LumoPro LP180R Off Camera Flash

I don't recommend the low end stuff, no warranty stuff. I hate to see their marketing and quality supported as it undermines companies that make quality products. Bowens (RIP) is a recent victim of this low end junk. 

---

The Nikon CLS/AWL (creative light system/advanced wireless lighting) works well in some environments and is flaky in others. The popup flash on recent Nikon dSLR can be used but it's limited range. It's quickly limited to light of sight. It's most likely to work indoors or evening over short distances. Reflective surfaces may work, e.g. a white garage wall in a garden. Indoors, light neutral walls work well. If the popup is fired to fast, to frequently the popup can freeze the shutter release on cameras like the D800 and D300s, cameras I own.

A better strategy for CLS/AWL is a speedlight such as a Nikon SB-700, 800 or 900/910 on camera as the commander. Greater range is possible with line of sight and sometimes the commander can be bounced off subjects. Radio however saves head aches out doors in daylight.

CLS/AWL causes problems when the remote flash is located inside a light modifier such as a softbox.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 23:20:04 »
I have three SB-900 units in addition to a large number of Bowen/Manfrotto/Bogen/Calumet Monolights.
Those brands are actually identical but have just been marketed under different names by different operations in different countries over the past 40 years. I still have a couple of operational Bowens units which I bought 1977.

I use IR light-cells and/or radio-triggering with all of this equipment.

I have some of the Yong Nuo 622-n radio transmitters and transceiver. (I tried Pocket Wizard but found them too inconsistent so sent them back and bought the YN ones instead.)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086002-REG/yongnuo_yn_622n_tx_i_ttl_wireless_flash.html

My YNs have proved totally reliable and seem to be very well constructed.

If I buy any more speedlights, they will probably be the top-of-the-line Yong Nuo units with built-in radio.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1247484-REG/yongnuo_yn685_n_yn685_wireless_ttl_speedlite.html

I also have, and use, a Sekonic Flash exposure meter and find it to be invaluable when working with multiple flash heads.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 23:20:17 »
There is a lot of great, free information here...

Strobist Lighting 101: Introduction

and here...

Strobist Lighting 102: Introduction

and here...

Strobist Lighting 103: Introduction

Flickr groups are dying but there is a lot of discussion years back concerning all things off camera flash.

Strobist.com on Flickr

Dave Hartman

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 23:32:18 »
I also have, and use, a Sekonic Flash exposure meter and find it to be invaluable when working with multiple flash heads.

+1 on a flash meter. I will refrain from discussing Brand-Y products.

Dave

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 00:24:53 »
Aren't the products by Korean company called "Nissin" available in Europe?  They offer pretty sophisticated radio controlled TTL flash systems compatible with Nikon, Canon and Sony cameras, and they are much more affordable than the genuine ones:

http://www.nissindigital.com/top.html

The price range seems to be somewhere inbetween those of the cheapo Chinese products and the genuine ones.

If I remember correctly, Metz (known for Mecablitz brand) used to collaborate with Olympus.  But I haven't even looked for their products, simply because they were much more expensive than the genuine ones here in Japan.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 01:16:01 »
Daniel, what is it that you will be photographing with these speed lights?

As a side note, Profoto appears to be announcing their first speed light offering tomorrow, the A1.
I imagine it will be very nice and rather expensive, like the majority of their products. 
+/- $1,000

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 01:54:32 »
Daniel,

Do you need TTL or just wireless? Then there is the Holy Grail of power control of manual flash from the camera.

When using one or two speedlights I'll probably use TTL but any more and I'm very likely, well I don't have a choice, to use manual flash. My SB-24 does not do CLS/AWL so it's manual only with a dSLR. There are those like Joe McNally that use TTL with may speedlights and those like David Hobby who frequently use manual flash with just one off camera flash.

Dave

My flash includes a Nikon SB-800, SB-700 and SB-24. I think I've got a pair of SB-16B(s) around but I never use them as they don't offer manual power control. Then I have a Norman P2000X pack and four lamp heads. I use Minolta Flash Meter III(s). I'd have updated to Sekonic if I could.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 03:36:01 »
the SB-700 is very hard to beat. I love them a lot  :o :o :o
if you are going to shoot with radio triggers then your options can include more things so you can control them remotely. I still use CLS  ::)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:42:41 »
Here is a link to Joe McNally's blog...

Joe McNally

He owes his soul to Nikon which is why he probably possess 1,000 SB-5000(s). :) Joe is a Nikon ambassador.

---

To be fair to the Nikon SB-700 it has less light falloff at the wide zoom settings compared to the SB-800. Now if the Nikon SB-910 is better at both ends that would be very pleasant for SB-910 owners. 

Dave

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 05:57:15 »
Dear colleagues, many thanks for the many responses  :)

I'll mainly use the two light stands for people shots and small group of people.
TTL would be nice but I'm also used to work manually.
The Nissin Air system looks appealing, compact and powerful.
I've had their Nissin i40 on my Fujis which I liked.
Much to read now...
Daniel Diggelmann