Author Topic: Shooting with the Nikon FE and 35mm f2 lens  (Read 5043 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Shooting with the Nikon FE and 35mm f2 lens
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 16:13:27 »
Peter, this is a marvelous series of classic street photos.  The scans looks fine, but they would look much better when printed on paper.

Off topic:

Here is an interesting rumor about Zenit:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7688263968/zenit-s-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-will-use-components-made-by-leica
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 18:52:08 »
Peter: Did you develop the film yourself? I love the compositions.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 23:33:36 »
They used to say, "Grain is an amateur obsession." In my case grain became much less important when I added 4x5 and 6x6~6x7 to 35mm. With various formats one had a choice.

Today I'll say, "Noise is an amateur obsession." and I indulge as today I'm a amateur. If I had something more modern than a D800, can you feel my pain?

All I want is a D850, D5 and D500. Maybe I should prey to Charles and he might send me at least the D850.

Dave who's philosopher's stone is a copper dagger

Today we "pixel peep," yesterday we used a 50mm enlarging lenses and a heavy 10x grain focuser to "grain peep." It's really not that different.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 00:43:31 »
"Grain is an amateur obsession." In my case grain became much less important when I added 4x5 and 6x6~6x7 to 35mm. With various formats one had a choice.

Today I'll say, "Noise is an amateur obsession." >>>

I had never thought about grain/noise in those terms but how right you are!

;D

Sometimes during the Film Era we used to deliberately create as much grain as we could induce from the film by extreme processing. One trick was to under-expose Ektachrome (transparency film) by several stops; process for an extended time in B&W print developer; and then complete the development for a color negative.

You could get really extreme ASA ratings, posterized (pointillistic) color; and golf ball sized grain by processing like that.

In the digital age, for action and low-light photography, I am more interested in capturing the shot and I really don't give a hoot about Noise in those sort of images.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 01:22:34 »
Here are a couple: the first one was rated at 6400 ASA; and the second one at the then (late 1960s) unheard of 25,000 ASA.

(25,000 ISO is a piece of cake for today's D5!)

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 15:02:54 »
Thank you for your kind words about the series.

@Frank Fremery: I did not develop the film myself nor did I scan. But I intent to make my own scans later.

Ann: I like the noise/grain these photos. Very appropriate. I haven't seen a digital sensor yet that produces these intense colors at ISO 25000 although I should be careful saying that.
Peter

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 04:28:36 »
[redacted]