Author Topic: Scotland's far north-west - final images added.  (Read 6017 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Scotland's far north-west
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 11:59:17 »
I would have to say that the second series is more enjoyable and emotional.

The "Lilly pads" would be my favorite.  I enjoy "Floating leaves" as, forgive me as a broken record player, your typical "seemingly-nothing-but..." style image.

The last one stimulates my nostalgia by reminding me of "The Little House" by Virginia Lee Burton.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

knb

• NG Supporter
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 12:00:15 »
I really like the lines formed by the stone fences in the last one. I must be able to travel to Scotland one day...
Kjetil Narum Bakken

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 12:13:33 »
Great promotion for your countryside ;)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 12:40:27 »
I do plan to spend a day there very soon, this time with a tripod. On last week's trip, everything is handheld - because I forgot my effing tripod!!!

May I suggest that you forgot the "effin"  tripod because you rarely use one?  ;)
I have never seen you using a tripod when we went out shooting together and even remember you saying you rarely feel the need to use one.
Simone Tomasi

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 13:52:08 »
Again some wonderful shots. Specially those two where we see that human modified landscape with those stone walls limiting fields. They seem to escape time, and the sheer quantity of those stone walls convey the feeling of multiple generations building them. It reminds me of John MacPherson's writing in "DuckRabbit" about the surrounding of Fort William, very emotional.
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 14:43:22 »
Many thanks to all who have commented so kindly, and I'm pleased that these images are popular because this part of Scotland is very special for me.

May I suggest that you forgot the "effin"  tripod because you rarely use one?  ;)
I have never seen you using a tripod when we went out shooting together and even remember you saying you rarely feel the need to use one.

You are right, of course - I relatively rarely use a tripod; however, I like to have one in the car, at least. And when we last worked together I didn't have the monster - the 200/500/f5.6 - now there's a lens which even I prefer to use on a tripod. But just to prove that all thing are possible I'm attaching a moon-shot, made the night we arrived in Stoer, and therefore hand-held.

The "Lilly pads" would be my favorite.  I enjoy "Floating leaves" as, forgive me as a broken record player, your typical "seemingly-nothing-but..." style image.

Yes, I like "floating leaves" too. It follows rigidly to my precept that even a minimalist image must have two elements.

In this case the two elements are: the floating leaves, and the sound of the water . . . . . . . . .  8)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 14:49:59 »
Wonderful series

#1 rock patterns is really nice, stands out on it's own
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 16:33:50 »
Yes, I like "floating leaves" too. It follows rigidly to my precept that even a minimalist image must have two elements.

In this case the two elements are: the floating leaves, and the sound of the water . . . . . . . . .  8)

When you let a "viewer" feel something other than the sense of vision, you are succeeded in opening doors to different world...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 17:09:47 »
Great promotion for your countryside ;)

+1

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 19:31:35 »
Your second group — and also that splendid shot of the moon — continue to delight me!

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 00:45:37 »
Thank you very much, Ann, Eddie, Akira and Armando.

Next, some mountains from a region whose mountains have a character all their own. I have wandered them all, when I was just a little younger . . .

1. Ben More Assynt - highest and most extensive mountain in the region.
2. Arkle - the famous racehorse was named after it; both were owned by the billionnaire Duchess of Westminster.
3 and 4. Two views of Stac Pollaidh.
5. Cul Mor from the north
6. Loch Assynt with Bheinn Gharbh and distant Canisp (right).
7. Suilven - "The Sugar-loaf"; at dusk.
8. Quinag (Koon-yag) seen from the north.
9. Loch Lurgainn and Sgurr Tuath.
10. Mountains of the Loch Glencoul / Kylesku area.

PeterN

• NG Member
Re: Scotland's far north-west - mountain images added.
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 08:25:35 »
Thank you for sharing these wonderful series, David. Spectacular colors and variety. And not to forget the light that plays with the shapes in the landscapes. It must have been a spectacular trip.

PS: Did you have problems with the midges? I was in Scotland during the last 2 weeks and they attacked me every time I stopped during my time on the west coast.
Peter

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 18:22:21 »
Thanks, Peter - I'm glad you like the pictures.

Midges can be a problem. Where we were last week there was nearly always some breeze, and that keeps them away. But in warm, calm, moist conditions they can be a nightmare. There are various anti-midge sprays and ointments which work to a certain extent. My wife wears an anti-midge jacket, face-mask and hat - all one garment - made of very fine black net. This works totally against midges but has other downsides - hot, stuffy, etc. and not designed with photographers in mind!

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 20:57:34 »
Wow. Thanks for sharing David!

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 12:58:59 »
Wow. Thanks for sharing David!

Thank you, Peter, much appreciated.