Author Topic: My Yellowstone Adventure  (Read 5346 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
My Yellowstone Adventure
« on: September 07, 2017, 18:26:40 »
Hello, all!
I decided to share this in a bit of a different way and blogged about it. There will be quite a few posts to cover everything from trip planning, travel to location and the time spent there.

Instead of replicating the entire blog post on every forum, I will post links to the blog posts here. I've already published 2, so will include those 2 here in the first post. Subsequent blog posts will see an entry added to this thread.

Introduction
http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com/2017/09/a-trip-to-yellowstone-national-park.html

Trip Planning
http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com/2017/09/a-trip-to-yellowstone-national-park_6.html

Enjoy!
The next post is scheduled to be released tomorrow 9/8/2017.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Re: My Yellowstone Adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 18:47:57 »
I will be watching for it!
 :)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 07:10:07 »
There is almost always something to learn from another person's planning process.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 13:25:03 »
There is almost always something to learn from another person's planning process.

Agreed...and so much to learn from the trials and tribulations of others too.  As information rich as the internet may be, we all go about things differently, so perspectives are different as well.  It is good to have a lot of varying info than a little, IMHO.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 19:00:39 »
I usually cruise the Web before going to a new place and look at other travellers' photographs from that area.

This gives me a much clearer idea of what equipment I need to pack for the subject material which I a, likely to photograph.

Then its just a question of distributing it all among my various cases and jacket pockets so that I can get it all on board the aircraft.

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 22:47:46 »
I usually cruise the Web before going to a new place and look at other travellers' photographs from that area.

This gives me a much clearer idea of what equipment I need to pack for the subject material which I a, likely to photograph.

Then its just a question of distributing it all among my various cases and jacket pockets so that I can get it all on board the aircraft.

I did much the same for this trip.  I'm happy with the great I took.  It was just the right mix for me.
Andrew

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 22:49:23 »
Andrew

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 00:30:16 »
I learned about Merrill hiking shoes from your report and they may be exactly what I need for the Costa Rican Rainforest in January so thank you for that tip.

I am a very careless traveller and, apart from Malarone (where indicated), I don't take any of those precautionary items on the trail (and not much in my suitcase either.

I am one of those idiots who never carry water nor wears any sort of hat —even in a desert or on the Equator . . . "Mad Dogs and English Women . . ."?

But those Merrill shoes do look as though they could be useful in a rain forest.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 00:52:22 »
Merrill make excellent shoes, but fit is the most important thing.
Anthony Macaulay

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 01:32:01 »
Merrill make excellent shoes, but fit is the most important thing.

Vasque boots were recommended to me, but they just didn't fit my feet.  If the fit is wrong for your own feet, it doesn't matter how good the boots are.

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 03:50:46 »
I started out hiking way before photography.   I agree, that the fit is the most important thing.  Always try on hiking shoes later in the day and with the socks you will wear on trail for the best fit. Later in the day because your feet will have swollen and will be a better indicator of true fit when actually hiking.

My favorites have been Merrill, but they're are a ton of great shoe companies out there.  Just tailor the shoe to the activity as best you can.
Andrew

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 18:36:00 »
Andrew

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 18:40:36 »
I am following with interest.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 19:36:35 »
Lovely road pics... interesting landscape.
-/-/-

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 21:55:58 »
Lovely road pics... interesting landscape.

Some days it was hard to get to the park proper.   I wanted to stop at every pullout and explore the scenes on the way in!   lol
Andrew