Author Topic: Sachtler/Vinten flowtech 75  (Read 2611 times)

Ashlandish

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Sachtler/Vinten flowtech 75
« on: September 07, 2017, 18:23:08 »
What are your thoughts on the new Sachtler / Vinton flowtech 75, http://www.flowtech-tripod.com, as compared to Sachtler's prior 75 series? The sticks themselves are $1050 through B & H.

I'm looking for a dual use tripod, to be used with a fluid head for a rigged Panasonic GH5 and for a Nikon D500/D850, eventually with a 500 ~ 600MM telephoto (if I can save enough).
Tim Becraft

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Sachtler/Vinten flowtech 75
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 19:06:39 »
It certainly looks pretty robust and should be able to keep the GH5 locked in position :D

According to the launch video, it can be used in much the same way one would abuse any Sachtler. Thus in other words, might be a promising tripod.

I'm not familiar with this 'pod myself and thus cannot provide more information on its benefits or drawbacks. I'd look elsewhere for a 600 mm lens support, though.

Ashlandish

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 21:23:06 »
Thanks. As I thought for the long end.

Am thinking of first getting a tripod as a gift for a son, who's without his own at the moment, and wait for myself. I imagine if this model is successful they'll release a 100 down the road. That long lens may prove elusive  :-\

Any thoughts on Sachtler Ace vs FSB vs Vinton heads, or other 75mm heads. I've read a bit online, and the love seems all over the place. My son uses a rigged GHF and works with a friend with a rigged Sony A7s. They'll probably eventually get an Ursa Mini Pro or some such. My concern about the smaller Vinten heads is operating temperatures, so my inclination is Sachtler. My son is mostly in NYC, but also spends time in Arizona and California in the heat. I've read the Vinton has a narrower operating temperature range. Mayber a silly question...but I know some here have experience with Sachtler fluid heads, and maybe with others.

Incidentally, my son's favorite lenses on his BMPCC and GH5 are pre AI and AI Nikkors...image and cost.
Tim Becraft

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 21:39:46 »
Wouldn't worry too much about operating parameters for these fluid heads, they are pretty robust under all conditions. Even seen the larger Sachtler heads being submerged almost completely, which probably falls under the designation 'abuse', but the head has to follow the directions of the cameraman :D I have used the Video 20 in about -35 C ambient which is way lower than my lungs tolerate, but the head didn't complain.

Ashlandish

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 00:23:14 »
Thank you Bjørn. Always appreciate your wisdom, and your images.
Tim Becraft

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 01:53:46 »
I've seen the video and thought the design and construction interesting.

That said, my concern is that the design is too complicated with the leg extend system and the angle lock at the hub.  There seems to be lots of parts that would cause mechanical troubles.

The Schtlers used and recommended by Bjørn and others have been much simpler in terms of the construction.

Hope the red handles around the central hub are not made of plastic!

Here's another video posted on Cinema 5D:

https://www.cinema5d.com/sachtler-flowtech-75-tripod-introduced-reinventing-the-tripod/
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 21:37:47 »
Sachtler Flowtech 75 Carbon Fiber Tripod

Sachtler Flowtech 75 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Mid-Level Spreader and Rubber Feet: $997.50 (USD) - Coming soon to B&H Photo. This is just the legs.

It looks very interesting. The price is too high for me at this time.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 22:16:55 »
Looks like a great tripod!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton