Author Topic: Any signs of a Df-like camera?  (Read 8985 times)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: Any signs of a Df-like camera?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 11:18:26 »
A friend, who is a NPS distributor, confirmed me the relatively poor sales figures of the Df in Switzerland.  Personally I had a Df on loan for a fortnight or so: it gave me some muscle memories back from my old F2s or Nikkormats; but I'm not a nostalgic person.  The Df, certainly a very good camera, is not my cup of tea.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 12:44:18 »
I meet a lot of people using the Df, thus "poor sales" must be on some relative scale ....

The Df is a totality concept and has to be approached as such. It brings enjoyment and pleasure back into one's photography.
I agree on the enjoyment part, I am new to the Df, but it is my main camera for when action is not part of the "job".
I have found fun in all my MF Nikkors after I got the Df.
The asking price may well have something to do with the poor sales ;) It is mostly a D600 with a super sensor and a better viewfinder, and some will not like the ergonomics, but not me ;)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 13:05:40 »
I didn't buy the Df because 1) I don't like the Multi-CAM 4800 AF, it's not especially fast and has too small coverage for the FX sensor size, 2) just one focusing screen offered by Nikon, 3) doesn't use EN-EL15 series batteries which I otherwise have used in many cameras. I love the user interface. I would like to see a second version with the focusing addressed in a better way. I think also some potential buyers would have preferred a heftier, more metal build.

I do love the concept, the viewfinder, and the controls. I feel sad to hear that there isn't going to be a second version.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 13:54:58 »
I bought the Df as a second body (next to D800) and it became first, essentially because of the relative ease of using MF lenses. Or, reversing causality links, the Df made me like MF lenses (I already had several before, but acquired many more since then).

Manual focussing remains tricky using the Df (not that much better than using the D800), but as I am only an amateur, I can live with a few misses. Pros cannot.

To me, the successor will be any camera that will further ease the use of MF lenses. It may well be Nikon's future mirrorless. Unlike a Sony A-something, I'd expect an adapter tailored to AI(S) lenses, so these could be used in normal or stopped-down metering mode. Normal is useful in low light; stopped-down is useful for AF preview and for getting rid of possible focus shift. With sensors ever improving, only stopped-down could become fully acceptable (this is how my old Canon FD lenses work on Olympus m43).

Alternative could be some sort of D850, if indeed the viewfinder as good as advertised in another thread. Or any DSLR with MF assistance that would be better than the AF confirmation dot, and of course head-up style (I hate to look away at the focus confirmation dot, especially with the indispensible DK-17M that will move it further from the axis)
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 15:03:28 »
I don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but considering Nikon's business situation, a Df follower isn't likely to materialize.

Df enabled the use of old, even non-Ai, Nikkor lenses, but that doesn't contribute any increase of the sales of the current, brand new lenses.  As the more limited compatibility of the latest D3400, D5600 and D7500 indicates, Nikon is more into selling lenses of the current lineup.  I wouldn't be surprised if D610 follower, the entry-level FX model would be incompatible with all MF lenses including Ais/Ai.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 16:57:24 »
They can't have it both ways. If they advertise compatibility as a salient feature separating Nikon from their competitors (as they did for a long time) they should then stand behind their words and offer compatibility across the lineup. There will be other brands who offer cameras that offer better functionality with Ai and Ai-S Nikkors if Nikon drops it. Those who want autofocus will buy autofocus lenses anyway, but there are situations where manual focus is better and Nikon should support it both in the body (offering focus aids, etc.) as well as by adding better manual focus in autofocus lenses.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 17:28:01 »
Precisely. And buying an A7 in the future is, for me, an option (see my "what if my Df dies" thread)

That being said, if Nikon sends me a D850 as a Xmas present, I won't say no.
Airy Magnien

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 18:32:12 »
I enthusiastically read all posts re the Df, like most Df lovers do, I assume.  I care not about a new Df model, though I'd happily purchase a new old Df, if I had the money.  Heck, if I had the money, I'd buy a new one a month.  I am no longer insanely happy about my Df; that madness is gone, replaced by a more rational abiding love for this unbelievably wonderful camera Nikon gave us.  For me, and, I suspect for many other Df owners, a  Df2 would be surprisingly like the one we have now.

chambeshi

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 19:05:02 »
On the other hand, in all of its impressive legacy, the F mount is Nikon's biggest corporate strength, however Nikon casts this in marketing lingo.

A synthesis of its core innovations into a Df2 DSLR will strengthen customer loyalty and morale. D5 AF, D810 sensor for highest DR, tilting screen with focus stacking and focus peaking. AF fine-tune yet full pre AI thru AIS compatibility. In fact, a mirrorless Df2 is achievable so complementing the DSLR Df2 as the definitive Retro-Pair

This will complement the pro D850, D500, D750 and D5 models and the prosumer D750 with consumer level & travel DX models

it will only sell more FX cameras, even if the Df2 costs US$3000 / 2500 quid

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but considering Nikon's business situation, a Df follower isn't likely to materialize.

Df enabled the use of old, even non-Ai, Nikkor lenses, but that doesn't contribute any increase of the sales of the current, brand new lenses.  As the more limited compatibility of the latest D3400, D5600 and D7500 indicates, Nikon is more into selling lenses of the current lineup.  I wouldn't be surprised if D610 follower, the entry-level FX model would be incompatible with all MF lenses including Ais/Ai.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 19:26:13 »
A Df Mark II would be nice, especially with a decent AF and a better handgrip with the card door included in it (i.e. not on the bottom).. 

However what is more important to  all of those that use Nikon cameras is that the company builds new models that sell in large numbers and are profitable.  As a company, Nikon is not doing it easy at the moment.  That said, it is producing some excellent new lenses and cameras, so let us hope that it does turn its fortunes around in the near term and that a Df upgrade will eventuate.
Hugh Gunn

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 06:40:04 »
If the future is for EVF, then I can dream of a Ds. No mirror, no pentaprism. Focus peaking in the rangefinder. Full frame.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 09:33:42 »
A Df Mark II would be nice, especially with a decent AF and a better handgrip with the card door included in it (i.e. not on the bottom).. 

However what is more important to  all of those that use Nikon cameras is that the company builds new models that sell in large numbers and are profitable.  As a company, Nikon is not doing it easy at the moment.  That said, it is producing some excellent new lenses and cameras, so let us hope that it does turn its fortunes around in the near term and that a Df upgrade will eventuate.

There are lots of high (or less high) prestige, full frame (of course), MF lenses produced by, inter alia, Zeiss, Schneider-Kreuznach, Voigtländer, Samyang and a few others. These companies do not manufacture camera bodies. What should these lenses be mounted on?

From the Nikon range, Df comes to mind; a mirrorless in the future.
From the Sony range, the Alpha 7 and 9.
From the Canon range, nothing specific.
etc.

Question is, since there is apparently a healthy (niche?) market for such lenses, there should also be matching cameras?
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 10:49:04 »
As for the full frame (or whatever) mirrorless Nikon, I'm curious if they learned from the apparent failure of Nikon 1 by disabling the meter with the old MF lenses via simple adapters.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 11:20:34 »
My guess is that the mirrorless offering will feature the D850 or D5 sensor and will be available in F3 style, similar to Fuji. Combined time and iso wheel like in the X100S and, originally, the FM-2 and Aperture by aperture on a new series of lenses.

This would be much better than having two UIs cramped into one body like the DF.

PS. Now that I think more about this: what about compatabiility with AFS (mirror style) lenses?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 12:29:46 »
I want to know how well the new D850 does with manual focus using the viewfinder before wishing for a new DF type camera.

Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner