Author Topic: D850 built-in focus stacking  (Read 2856 times)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
D850 built-in focus stacking
« on: September 21, 2017, 21:50:17 »
I could not resist trying out the D850 built-in focus stacking, which can be found in the Photo Shooting Menu. It works with AF lenses, it basically takes a picture, moves the focus a little farther away specified by a step size value, and repeats this for a number of shots specified. The time interval between shots can be specified, and the shots can be made in silent mode. Determining the proper step size to use is by trial and error, I have not seen a formulae for that yet.

After each finished sequence of shots focus stays at the position of the last shot; if the wanted depth is not reached one can easily repeat the sequence until it is.

I made one stack (20 shots, step size 2) with the 105VR full-open, effectively at f/3.2, and processed it in the test version of Zerene Stacker. Some stacking errors are visible, e.g. around the shoulders. It is my first stack, and probably also my last, this is not exactly my cup of tea. A 50% reduced .jpg is attached. I know, Jerommeke needs a shower  :)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: D850 built-in focus stacking
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 21:55:11 »
Thanks for posting this Eddie.

What might give useful context is to also post one of the single source images, so we can compare.
As well as discounting artefacts that can emerge when using software like Zerene.

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 21:55:45 »
Thanks for sharing this Eddie.

I have been wanting to try focus stacking and was thinking the built in feature on the D850 or another camera might be really convenient. 
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 22:07:05 »
Colin, there you go.

Bill, it is really simple to use and convenient for whenever it is needed, as you can see "a child can do the dishes".

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 00:38:35 »
I've never tried stacking. Just a guess but the AF-S 105/2.8G ED VR, etc. is a heavy breathing lens. I'd think it's a poor candidate for stacking because of the breathing, that in my ignorance of stacking.

Stacking give a painterly look. The full subject can be in focus while the background isn't. A painter is free to do this and it seems typical to me. I often like stacked photographs and sometimes not so much.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 02:24:56 »
Stacking usually covers only a small range, usually only a few mm depth is needed, so focus breathing shouldn't be significant.

"Over stacked" images look weird - too much in sharp focus against a soft out of focus background, to my eye it makes the subject look flat, it's lost the sense of depth you get when the image plane transitions to out of focus front and rear. Like other techniques such as HDR, I prefer it when used subtly, so the technique does not detract from the subject.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 08:17:54 »
I don’t know how the “steps” of the build-in focus stacking process works. I’m using Helicon Remote which automatically adjusts the focus steps depending on the DoF. I guess this isn’t the case with the D850 ?

(Jerommeke from Suske en Wiske ?  :)) )
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:31:48 »
I don’t know how the “steps” of the build-in focus stacking process works. I’m using Helicon Remote which automatically adjusts the focus steps depending on the DoF. I guess this isn’t the case with the D850 ?

(Jerommeke from Suske en Wiske ?  :)) )
helicon moves your whole setup while the D850 just staggers the focus  :o :o :o
If i recall, there are pros and cons depending on which method you use and it also depends on the lens' design

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 08:44:49 »
Thanks for sharing your experience. Although Michael E. Might be in the best position to respond, I have not found a formula either. I guess it deoends on focus distance, aperture, focal length, and sensor size.
Are you saying that the camera’s internal system does not produce a stacked jpeg? So you have to stack yourself in an extrnal program? If that is the case, the D850’s stacking capability is basically useless to me. I need it for on-the-road watch photography when photos have to be published quickly online.
BTW: for my watch photogrpahy, photoshop usually does a better stacking job than Zerene. I may use Zerene Stacker wrongly so I should be careful saying that.
Peter

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 09:20:08 »
Peter, Michael says that he does not use AF, so the feature will be useless for him. The stacking has to be done with external software, it is not done in the camera. I could have corrected some stacking errors with Zerene, didn't try that however. I never tried Photoshop for this, will do sometime.

The step size may also depend on the lens, maybe someone with more knowledge about it can chime in.

With a more interesting object I might do some more tests including other lenses.

Yes it is Jerommeke from Suske and Wiske. He is patient  ;D

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 15:16:22 »
helicon moves your whole setup while the D850 just staggers the focus  :o :o :o
If i recall, there are pros and cons depending on which method you use and it also depends on the lens' design

Richard, you can apply both methods: (1) having the whole set moving, with the help of a motorised - micro-step - rig; or (2) having the focus adjusted for each shot-  I was rather referring to method (2).  And my question remains: how the D850 calculates the steps in function of the DOF ? If any ?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν