Author Topic: Borneo Adventure  (Read 12487 times)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Re: Borneo Adventure
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 20:30:44 »
Olivier:

What a wonderful invitation! I really hope to be able to take you up on it one day!

Armando, Frank and Arthur: Thank you.

[Watch this space: LOTS more pictures to come!]
 :)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 05:16:15 »
Afloat on the Kinabatangan River:

Map of Sabah Province, Malaysian Borneo.
(The yellow thumb tacks show places which will be mentioned in this story.)

I flew into Sandakan Airport in the north-east corner of Borneo and Ling was there to meet me and the two other photographers who had arrived on the same flight; as was Ahmad, who owns a taxi company.

Ahmad drove us (and all our gear!) for two and a half hours to our Lodge near Sukau on the banks of the Kinabatangan River — Borneo’s longest river.

The Lodge is very small and simple but the family made us welcome and cooked meals for us even though it was the midst of Ramadan.

The family owns a small boat and they let us keep it out on the river all day, from before sunrise until after dark, so we could explore the lower-reaches of the river where it meanders across its flood-plain, changing its course from time to time and leaving Ox-bow lakes behind; and venture up some of its side-streams too.
(You can't do that if you stay in the regular tourist lodges where you get a one-hour boat ride accompanied by the entire population of the Lodge — all chattering their heads off!.)

The land around the Kinabatangan was raised to “Wildlife Sanctuary” status about ten years ago which means commercial development is still permitted along its path although “National Park” status would have been even better and would have prevented further commercial development. The main problem is that the natural hardwood forest has been reduced to disconnected patches and there is no forested corridor linking the forested areas which would provide continuous habitat for the indigenous animals.

The relentless on-march of the oil palm plantations and other human activities continue to encroach on the forest so the wild creatures have a rapidly diminishing habitable area. As a result, the animals are concentrated in the forested strips close to the river so you do see a lot of very varied wild life here.

However, photographing it from a small boat on the river is quite challenging because the vegetation on the river banks is particularly dense so you only see the creatures if they suddenly emerge to bathe or drink on the river bank (as did some elusive Pygmy Elephants); or you see the Primates and Hornbills high-up in the branches of the incredibly tall trees.

I found that even a 400 mm lens was insufficient and I often needed to use my TC-20 as well. That combination on a rocking and heaving small boat makes it quite difficult to hold the view in the frame at times and demands very high shutter speeds (meaning high ISO settings) so I was continuously grateful that I had my D5.

The highly endangered Proboscis Monkeys (another animal which is only endemic on Borneo) were among the creatures which we were able to see from the river although they were high up among the tree-branches.

Proboscis Monkeys _AJS5029.jpg

Also to be seen in the trees are Long-tailed and Pig-tailed Macaques and the occasional Orang Utan too.

Pig-tailed Macaque _AJS4026.jpg

Long-tailed Macaque  _AJS4235.jpg

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 05:33:20 »
June is normally the Dry Season in Sabah but world-wide weather patterns had been disturbed by El Niño last year with the results that we experienced some dramatic skies and a few tropical down-pours.

I had a poncho in my pockets but I used it to cover my camera gear and reckoned I wouldn’t bother about keeping myself dry when this huge black cloud suddenly towered over us and deluged its contents on us.

However, with great presence of mind, Ling grabbed a huge black garbage bag, tore a hole in it for a bit of air, and shoved it right over my head!

There was a scramble to get all of our camera gear of the floor and we soon had several inches of water sloshing around our ankles

(There are no photographs of that episode because everyone had their cameras hurriedly and safely stowed by that point.)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 08:52:23 »
Wonderful travel photography! Wow I would like to do that more,,, Time,,, Thanks for sharing ;)
Erik Lund

enough

• NG Member
  • Anything wild
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 10:04:09 »
Ann, a wonderful series of a magnificent part of the world.

Also good to "see" you again.

Mark
Mark Doro

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 22:47:52 »
Erik:
Thank you.
I have to admit that I have been having so much fun during my various travels.
I place all the blame on my camera for leading me into these crazy adventures.

Mark:
I actually owe you a huge debt of gratitude for telling me about the Danum Valley — I never thought that I would be able to get there and it was so well worth the long journey to reach it.

[More about Danum will follow in a later installment.]

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 23:51:50 »
Pygmy Elephants

Whereas adult African Elephants can reach 14 feet tall at the shoulder, and regular mainland Asian Elephants are normally about nine feet tall, Borneo has its own sub-species which often reach less than seven feet.

100_AJS4605

These Bornean Pygmy Elephants are very attractive with round baby-faces (which accentuate their Dumbo-like appearance), rather rotund stomachs,  and much longer and more substantial tails than the Elephants on the mainland. The Bornean Pygmy Elephant is endemic only to Borneo.

100_AJS4323

The females are normally tusk-less and the tusks of the males are quite small and rather straighter than those of other species of Elephants.
Asian elephants also have different tips to their trunks from their African counterparts with only one finger-like projection at the tip of the trunk while African elephants have two. These finger-like projections have numerous sensitive nerve endings and are capable of fine motor skills and precise manipulation of small objects.

Pygmy Elephants are normally rather placid and good tempered but do not be fooled by their cuddly appearance because an angry or threatened Pygmy Elephant can be just as dangerous as any other Elephant.

Local legend claims that the Pygmies are descended from some Javan Elephants (now extinct) which were given to the Sultan of Sulu by the East india Company and were later released on the Island of Borneo in the 18th Century but DNA testing has now shown this delightful story to be unlikely because the Pygmies are a different species from other Asian elephants and fossil evidence indicates that the existence of the Pygmies on Borneo stretches back to the last Ice Age.

The total population of Pygmy Elephants is thought to have been reduced to some 1500 over the past 60 years and they predominantly are found on the lower reaches of the Kinebatangan River. However, they are secretive forest-dwellers who move some 25 miles a day so casual visitors are extremely lucky if they see them.

Like all elephants, Pygmies need copious amounts of water so the best chance to see them is if they go down to the river for an evening swim.

We just happened to be in the right place at exactly the right time when a group of them silently emerged from the forest through a thick curtain of green vines just as golden evening sunlight was raking the banks of the Kinebatangan River.

100_AJS4676

This was when Ling’s strategy of choosing a Lodge which would let us keep their boat out on the river all day really paid off because we were able to hang-out with this boisterous group of young elephants for nearly an hour and photograph their antics as they splashed around in the water, jousted with each other and squabbled over the possession of a trunk-full of grass.

100_AJS4554

100_AJS4545

100_AJS4378

100_AJS4799

100_AJS4732

100_AJS4781

100_AJS4413

100_AJS4628

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 00:42:29 »
An amazing series of images, Ann. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Thanks!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 02:57:05 »
It was amazing luck to see those elephants at all — and then to have them all to ourselves for nearly an hour was surely the cherry-on-top.

I only had a week in Borneo and saw far more than I ever expected to.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 05:10:32 »
I am enjoying this thread very much!
Maybe the head-to-head elephant shot (100_AJS4413) would benefit from a tighter crop, to show a double portrait?

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 05:34:39 »
What a great series, Ann. Very enjoyable and informative.

It would not be wise to get caught up in that romp, despite the fact that they are pygmies!
Mike Selby - Sydney

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 06:34:57 »
The  man who was driving the boat is a Government-licensed Guide (as you have to be, by law, if you are taking people on the river) so he was very mindful of the need to maintain a reasonable distance from the elephants — both for our safety as well as to avoid stressing the animals.

I shot this series (of about 570 shots!) during the 45 minutes which we spent watching the elephants hand-holding the 200-400 mm lens on my D5. It was very hard to restrict my selection to just a few of the photographs for this thread.

Here is a cropped version (and it is rather a heavy crop) of 4413 — especially for Olivier:

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 10:52:10 »
I'm overwhelmed by all these stunning images, as always, from the beautiful landscapes to the vivid documentations of the wildlife to the detailed narratives.

Thank you for posting!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 17:48:44 »
Indeed, the colors are beautiful.

Animals are better than humans.

We are merely a copy that went awry.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 18:37:47 »
Ann, impressive thread! Images, place, gear and you are back!!!  ;)

Happy to "see" you and to be able to enjoy your work.