Author Topic: D3400 ?  (Read 2753 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
D3400 ?
« on: September 01, 2017, 19:30:52 »
My daughter has been using an Olympus EPL1 but the thing is starting to fail ... thing is refurbished and lasted like 6 years :)

I asked if she would mind using a larger camera and she said that is ok

Thinking on getting her a D3400

I've used a friend's D3200 and I liked how light and silent is the little thing

I do not see anything that may be more economic before going to a compact, and for that she has her mobile phone

edit: forgot to mention she is taking a photography workshop in college
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: D3400 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 23:11:55 »
Although the D3400 is a simplified version of the camera I'm using (D3200), it should be quite capable. The kit lenses these days are pretty decent, too.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 23:27:11 »
Thinking on getting her a D3400 ....

I'm sure the D5500/5600 is just a teeny bit smaller again. And the extra 5g weight of the 5600 over the 3400 could easily be ignored.
Obviously the D5500/5600 will have a few extra advantages/features over the 3400 too.

Weird how Nikon didn't downsize the D3xxx bodies a little bit more with their last updates ... the way they did with the D5500.

Arthur

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 23:45:54 »
I read the DPR review of the  camera and think it would work just fine. I also agree with Bjorn, the kit lenses are quite good (although not exceptionally durable) and should be more than sufficient for an introductory college course. Plus, it won't break the bank for you.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 00:03:37 »
If she is going to use the kit lens only, D3400 should be great.  The AF-P lens focuses amazingly fast compared to AF-S equivalent.

Bear in mind that the compatibility is D3400 is very limited.  It cannot "meter" even with the "AF-D" Nikkors, needless to say to AF.  Also, it can connect to the smartphone only via Bluetooth.  It has no Wifi function.

If she/you can live with those limitations, D3400 is great.  You can also use the IR remote ML-L3, "unlike" D5600.  The double zoom kit with 18-55 and 70-300 "AF-P" lenses is a bargain.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 00:59:34 »
Armando
I bought a D5200 for my son when he started taking pictures and stop motion for his Lego.
The articulated screen is actually much more useful for his use than I even considered.

The D5600 is a tiny bit heavier (465g vs 395g). It is more expensive but the articulated screen may end up better for your daughter especially if she shoots macro/movies.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D5600-vs-Nikon-D3400

Ps I don't know what sensor these new Nikons have but the Toshiba 24mp sensor WITH aa filter in the D5200 is really special.

JJ

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 01:41:16 »
thanks for the comments

I'll be worried about the screen on 5000 series cameras in her hands

I saw it has been simplified, I actually think bluethoot is better than wifi for transfering files to the mobile

She will not be borrowing the  mf lenses :)

but I think it will work with other afs lenses , right?
Armando Morales

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 02:37:51 »
I saw it has been simplified, I actually think bluethoot is better than wifi for transfering files to the mobile

She will not be borrowing the  mf lenses :)

but I think it will work with other afs lenses , right?

According to Nikon website, the auto focus of D3400 only works with AF-S "E" and "G" as well as AF-P.  So, it should be some restrictions with AF-S with the aperture ring (like AF-S 300/4.0).

The SnapBridge of D3400 automatically transfers JPEG files, but they are automatically forced to be resized to 2MP images.  The original "JPEG" can be transferred only manually.  The RAW files cannot be transferred via SnapBridge.

Thanks to the lack of any movement of LCD, D3400 should be less prone to break than D5x00 models.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 09:01:47 »
.... The D5600 is a tiny bit heavier (465g vs 395g). ....

The 465g figure is with battery and the 395g figure is without. The Dd5600 without battery is a negligible 20g more at 415g(I initially thought 5 grams but was wrong).

D5500 and or D5300 are also two more cheaper D5xxx options to consider.. Depends if wifi/bluetooth connectivity is important or not.

About a year (or just a bit more) ago I was looking at a similar situation. Daughter liked to use he little camera, predominantly close ups, macro-ish level images. No specific subject, simply whatever subject came to mind, she seemed to be more interested in getting closer up.
I got her a neat little Samsung Galaxy Camera as a pressie one year, and she loved it. She loved the ability to do in camera playful processing, and real time processing using the various filters .. just like a phone, but she didn't want or need a phone(she already had one!)
Galaxy Camera was perfect for her requirements .. except macro, or close up shots.
Gave her my D70s, put 105VR on for her and she loved the ability ... just not the front heaviness of the lens. I think 60mm would have been too short for her, so considered getting a smaller macro 90-ish mm Tamron type lens for her and a D5500 to go with it.
But she lost interest not too long after. I got her a new model phone(phone plan was up for renewal so got phones with the new plan) .. and once again she just prefers to use the smaller phone type camera nowadays .. Oh! and she's much less into imaging now and more into texting(or whatever it is that 15yo girls do on the phone now!

And I wouldn't be overly worried about something like the tilting screen breaking either.
I found out the pleasant way, that kids can be more respectful with property than we tend to give them credit for.
Son usually gets D300 and whatever lens he likes if we go out and we're all taking photos. 99.9% of the time he prefers the kit 18-105VR lens due to it's all in one ability. From what I know and seen of this lens the rear mount being plastic is very easy to break, and I've repaired a friends twice now. She says that it drops onto very plush carpet and it breaks(with a D90 mounted). At least they're easy to replace, but knowing what I now know of this lens on a light body like a D90, and that my son usually takes the D300 + 18-105VR on school excursions and camps .. I'm amazed that he has never broken it!
I'd dare say it's probably not going to be an issue.
Arthur

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 10:23:47 »
The usual requirement for photography courses is that any camera will do as long as aperture and shutter speed can be set independently, and spot metering is nice, so the D3400 is a good choice.  One shortcoming of the kit lens(es) from the course point of view is the limited aperture range, so my two cents worth is that a 35/1.8 would be very useful for learning.   

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 13:48:01 »
Nikon makes an AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR. VR extends the time of day that close-up photos can be taken to just after sunset. VR works with close-up no mater what one may have read. I've tested the AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED to see if VR is working. It is. In the normal range one might get down to 1/20 second on a D800 but not at 1:2~1:1. In that range the biggest problem is nailing the focus. You take multiple shots and hope one with comes out. 85mm is a good focal length for close-up on DX.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 16:09:26 »
D3400 is an awesome camera.  I really enjoy the small DX cameras. I recently purchased a D5300 with the new AF-P zooms that I use as a "zoom lens system", and it's really fun to use, and those new lenses are terrific.  And there's the awesome 35mm f/1.8G DX lens that is a great value.  My primary system is a D750 with some prime lenses, and I like having a lightweight bag, so the DX camera with the zooms has felt like an ideal complement, for me anyway, it's all quite subjective.  I've given my kids a D40 and D5100 over the years, and they've worked out nicely for them (in both cases I gifted them the 35mm and 18-55 kit lens).  I agree with you on the bluetooth feature, especially for younger people who usually desire to share images quicker than us old dogs.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 17:44:15 »
Great discussion, I hope she enjoys it a much as we're here just thinking about it  :)

Yes I have considered the 35mm f1.8G
Armando Morales