Author Topic: Houston flood, news from Ron Scubadiver  (Read 3977 times)

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
Houston flood, news from Ron Scubadiver
« on: August 28, 2017, 23:57:33 »
Watching the news on the flood in Houston, I asked Ron how is he doing:

Our house probably has 3 feet of water in it (.9 m)  All furniture is ruined and repair costs will likely exceed the value of the structure making it unlikely we will return to the house.  We are safe as we left for Italy before anyone thought there would be a problem like this.  Our flight plan takes us to Chicago.  The flight from Chicago to Houston on 8/31 has been canceled and we are trying to reroute to Austin TX where our daughter and family live.  My wife and I don't have a clue about what the future holds and we are living minute to minute.

We have insurance which will make the financial impact manageable.

Destruction all over the city is unbelievable.

Thank you so much for thinking of us.  I have received  messages from my neighbors involving scary rescues from high water.

You may share this with other NG members, if you so desire.
Bruno Schröder

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Houston flood, news from Ron Scubadiver
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 00:27:18 »
Very sad to hear. Good that you are unharmed

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 00:34:52 »
Bruno, please pass my sympathy and best wises to Ron for his horrible experience.
Anthony Macaulay

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 00:36:34 »
Ron, i wish you all the best! Take care!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 02:27:12 »
On facebook, I knew that Ron was all right, but concerned about Houston.

Thank you, Bruno, for sharing the message from Ron.  Glad to make sure that there was at least no human damages to Ron and his family.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:37:52 »
Poor Houston. This disaster is bigger than anyone could have imagined and recovery for many is going to be difficult, expensive and very slow.

It's good to know that Ron is safe but dreadful to guess at the devastation which he will find when he returns home.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 06:45:55 »
Ron, best wishes for you and your wife in dealing with this difficult situation.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 07:27:56 »
Ron, my family extends our compassion to you and your wife. Our Grandparents had high water trouble so noone wanted to inherit their house and it was sold. Who ever has experienced these unconcerting force of nature wants to move to higher ground to get into the dry feet zone. Good luck with your fresh start and good luck to your troubled friends and neighbors too!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 07:31:19 »
Ron,

I'm so glad to know you and your wife are safe and very sorry about your loss. I can't begin to imagine.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 07:38:17 »
Ron, I've been in touch with all of my nieces and my nephew by phone and it has been a close thing for a couple of them but they are safe and not venturing out.  My daughter sent me an image of Houston Airport and (not sure which) about 10 aircraft totally underwater except for the tail and some jumbos almost underwater.   I was supposed to fly to Houston in the next few weeks to renew my visa for India , looks as it I will be thinking going to UK.
Very happy that your family is safe and you are insured.  Not sure about how fast the pay out will be  :( .  I've been in a couple of floods in Houston over the years, those flash floods can really be quick.
All the best
Tom
Edit: figured out how to save from phone  ;)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 07:50:25 »
Happened a few ago years also, his home flooded and the damage to the furniture etc. Good luck, Ron.

Floods everywhere in the world also in SE Asia, Bangla Dash with enormous impact for the people.

I keep thinking of Sunbears' prophecies rising water and floods in lower coastline areas, part of the Netherlands next?

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 15:50:46 »
What a difficult situation for all affected in Houston

Ron, I still remember following the thread where you were detailing the repairs after the last bad flood, and now again ! Unbelievable, my best wishes to you.
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 16:41:04 »
WARNING -This is a fake photo! It's not Houston, it's not real.
"The picture was actually made by digital artist Nickolay Lamm for search engine company StorageFront as part of a series showing the effect on rising sea levels. " (from Yahoo here: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/photo-harvey-flooding-houston-airport-totally-fake-185531446.html )

Ron, I've been in touch with all of my nieces and my nephew by phone and it has been a close thing for a couple of them but they are safe and not venturing out.  My daughter sent me an image of Houston Airport and (not sure which) about 10 aircraft totally underwater except for the tail and some jumbos almost underwater.   I was supposed to fly to Houston in the next few weeks to renew my visa for India , looks as it I will be thinking going to UK.
Very happy that your family is safe and you are insured.  Not sure about how fast the pay out will be  :( .  I've been in a couple of floods in Houston over the years, those flash floods can really be quick.
All the best
Tom
Edit: figured out how to save from phone  ;)
Bjørn Jørgensen

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 22:49:13 »
I had a similar thought...that the submerged planes photo was fake...when I couldn't find it on any of several USA-based wire service/newspaper news photo sites.  In other words, it would have 'made the news' if it had been real.  Gotta watch out for fake news.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 23:10:59 »