Author Topic: D850 first impressions after handling for a couple of hours...  (Read 15663 times)

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
I was excited to handle the Nikon D850 for a couple of hours...

While the camera I used was a pre-production model I do not have the right to publish images taken during the try out time.
For pictures with D850, I will complete my user review when I get my own D850 in a couple of weeks.

Not being allowed to post any pictures taken doesn't mean I can't write something that probably might interest you though...

first impressions:

•   If you are common with or if you have a D800 or D810 ànd a D500, you will recognise inheritage from both. Body size being a little smaller than D810, button layout similar to D810, tilting LCD and iso button placement like D500. The D850 also has a dedicated AF point positioning joystick, just like D5 and D500.
•   The D850 viewfinder is... simply out of this world and one of the things I like the most about this camera. It's a dream to look through even if your distance is a little further away because of your glasses in between.
•   Even though I will never shoot this camera in DX mode(it does nót change fps speed), I tried a DX lens and the clearly marked DX surface is now more than big enough to use confortable.
•   The AF is a direct heritage from D5, with some improvements while using Live view.
•   IQ is simply stunning straight out of the camera :o , I love the new "auto" picture control setting.
•   DR has even increased over the already extraordinary DR of the D810, especially while going into higher isos.
•   IQ at high isos is to my opinion a full stop better than what I got with my D810 when printed or viewed in the same size.
•   While looking at normal screen viewing and A3+ print, 25600 now became as as what my D750 delivered, but with more detail and mcuh more resolution...
•   Camera operation noise is clearly more nervous than D810, noise level somewhere between D800 and D810, over a relative silent Quiet mode(more silent than D810), to total silence while used in LV.
•   You can use the D500 or D810 battery in the D850.
•   The touch screen has significantly improved over D500 while U can use it while scrolling the menus. Great!
•   9 fps with grip makes it a perfect sports camera.
•   I use a 128GB XQD, and that's what you need if you shoot uncompressed RAW
•   The illuminated controls makes the D850 a joy to use at night...

I was testing the D850 with 20mm F1.8, 50mm F1.4, 105 AF-S F2.8 macro(+500 pictures...), 70-200 F2.8 AF-S VR FL, the mighty 200-500 consumer lens with pro grade IQ, and finally with my prehistoric, distortion free 28-105 walk around lens...
Is the D850 an interesting replacement for a D800 user: Definitely!
Is the D850 an interesting replacement for a D810 user: Worth considering but D810 is still a fantastic camera, even with his successor arrived...

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,

Stany

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D850 first impressions after handling for a couple of hours...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 19:30:57 »
Thanks for the review Stany.

The D850 sounds more and more like it will be my next camera.  The viewfinder improvement is a big plus to me.
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 19:41:32 »
Thanks for sharing your review
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 22:58:33 »
Thank you! Interesting indeed
Erik Lund

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 23:21:01 »
Thank you! Interesting indeed
Dear Erik,
Thanks for your kindness. Nikongear is a very nice place.
On dpreview I just got banned for the same topic by Thierry-TOF guy after over 15 years of relative valuable contributing  because of my website in my signature.  ;D
All the best and kindest regards,
Stany

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 07:38:53 »
There is some talk on noise in base and low ISO.

Have you any comment on such?

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 08:44:22 »
There is some talk on noise in base and low ISO.

Have you any comment on such?

Depends on whether you look at very high magnification/pixel peeping vs. normal view or A3+ print.
When I compare in A3+ print size or normal screen viewing, even iso 25600 seems relative clean, comparable with D750...
It's a pity I cannot post portraits I made from my wife with the D850 from iso 64 till iso 100.000, because she looks fantastic even at iso 102.000  :)

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 08:58:41 »
It's a pity I cannot post portraits I made from my wife with the D850 from iso 64 till iso 100.000, because she looks fantastic even at iso 102.000  :)

Why not?
Would be interesting to see the result.
Arthur

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 09:08:35 »
The big question for my work: Is the base ISO of 64 as good in the D850 as in the D810? Do you have any thoughts on that, please?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 09:35:28 »
Why not?
Would be interesting to see the result.
I have agreement with Nikon not to publish pictures taken with pre-production camera.

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 09:37:07 »
The big question for my work: Is the base ISO of 64 as good in the D850 as in the D810? Do you have any thoughts on that, please?
My personal opinion on your question after several hundreds of pictures. Not as good... better.  :)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 09:51:22 »
My personal opinion on your question after several hundreds of pictures. Not as good... better.  :)

If so, that is good news for me. This may be the perfect camera for what I do, at least the next step until Nikon produces an award-winning mirrorless.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 13:43:42 »
Did it have a lock on one of those memory banks or do we still have stupid pro controlls ?
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 15:12:47 »
Did it have a lock on one of those memory banks or do we still have stupid pro controlls ?
The classic pro controls, I don't call them stupid though...
Stany

D800Dominic

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • AEC Network
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 01:33:12 »
I was excited to handle the Nikon D850 for a couple of hours...

I really appreciated your unembellished review. Thank you Stany! 8)