Author Topic: Nikon D850 previews, commentary - first reviews  (Read 85394 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Nikon D850 previews, commentary - first reviews
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2018, 11:50:29 »
Bear in mind, the '30 second' exposure may be longer...

I did several '30 second' exposures of my clock which has a second hand, with my D3, the second hand covered 32 seconds.  I set the intervalometer to 35 seconds minimum for star trails etc. to give the camera time to process and save the image.  Have never seen guidance on this.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2018, 12:50:54 »
Since I got the Firmware 1.01 I experience flaws in the White Balance and sometimes I can not get into the menu, while I can still take photos. Strange.

I also experience a better high ISO performance, comparable or better than the D500.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

chambeshi

« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2018, 14:16:02 »
Since I got the Firmware 1.01 I experience flaws in the White Balance and sometimes I can not get into the menu, while I can still take photos. Strange.

I also experience a better high ISO performance, comparable or better than the D500.

Thanks for this Frank
Interesting and very important item of Int! I recently upgraded my D850, so will monitor behaviour and IQ

best woody

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2018, 17:29:46 »
Thanks for this Frank
Interesting and very important item of Int! I recently upgraded my D850, so will monitor behaviour and IQ
best woody

As there are so few of us who actually use the camera on a day-to-day-basis I guess feedback rates are also low. So I am very interested in your observation.

PS: I am still very happy with the camera, but switched from "Standard" (first ooc) to "Automatic / warm tone" (second ooc).
Yes, other light direction but same colors, only on the other shots of her look so stressed out.
Both photos are bad, it is only to demonstrate the WB issue...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Tejpor

• NG Member
    • ETERNIPIX
« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2018, 19:16:42 »
Exactly that is the issue!!

Now, e.g. the astronomy tailored D810A reportedly does not have this timing issue.
I'm curious what can one expect from the even more modern and electronic D850.

In my experience 33s is fine with modern cameras. At 32s intervals random skippings may occur.

Bear in mind, the '30 second' exposure may be longer...

I did several '30 second' exposures of my clock which has a second hand, with my D3, the second hand covered 32 seconds.  I set the intervalometer to 35 seconds minimum for star trails etc. to give the camera time to process and save the image.  Have never seen guidance on this.

Dlighter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2018, 17:06:25 »
@ Tejpor

Just saw this. Don't know exactly, if this is the point, but if you go to Photo Shooting Menu and set the Long Time Exposure NR to Off than you'll have no delay.

Tejpor

• NG Member
    • ETERNIPIX
« Reply #396 on: January 31, 2018, 18:12:44 »
Thank you for the reply. I forgot to add that with LENR off, the delay is still present during 30s exposures (32-33s). With LENR it would be worse, 60s-something...

@ Tejpor

Just saw this. Don't know exactly, if this is the point, but if you go to Photo Shooting Menu and set the Long Time Exposure NR to Off than you'll have no delay.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #397 on: January 31, 2018, 20:40:26 »
I totally love this camera.

Please refer to the* other*life

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #398 on: February 02, 2018, 23:59:55 »
After testing all my lenses on this amazing camera, the 1.8/85G is the one that sure smokes them all.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #399 on: February 03, 2018, 09:11:14 »
power of 46MP!

1 original frame as shot

2 100%

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2018, 11:14:00 »
Beautiful portrait of the horse.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #401 on: February 03, 2018, 16:34:40 »
Beautiful portrait of the horse.

Wonderful animal!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #402 on: February 03, 2018, 22:27:26 »
The 1.8/85G is the perfect companion.

"Wolkenschale"

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #403 on: February 04, 2018, 20:54:59 »
Lovely horse portrait Frank.
I was trying to work out if there was some subtle movement on its neck by the bridle, or if that's just the pattern in its coat.

And as for the cropped dude, I think it might also work well to include his legs. There's something confident and casually assured about his stance.

Michael Anderson

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #404 on: February 06, 2018, 19:20:09 »
I have just bought a D850 in the UK, i currently use PE14 and despite downloading Adobe dng converter 9.12.1 i am unable to open the raw file. Do i therefore have to upgrade to ?PE 2018 to be able to open the file?

Any help would be much appreciated.