Author Topic: Nikon D850 previews, commentary - first reviews  (Read 86651 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Nikon D850 previews, commentary - first reviews
« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2017, 21:24:06 »
what aperture did you use with the Noct ?
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2017, 21:52:01 »
what aperture did you use with the Noct ?

Assuming I was the intended person, f/1.2

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2017, 21:59:17 »
Assuming I was the intended person, f/1.2

If your asking about my shot, it was wide open.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2017, 22:59:51 »
Thank you both :)
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2017, 14:21:33 »
I tested low light capability in bad mixed light conditions yesterday, shot very nice portraits under ugly lighting conditions. My verdict: Superb color rendition and grain like luminance noise mixed into the skin tones. I have no permission of the people I took the photos from to show these one the net. Pity.

I changed picture style from "auto" to "standard" and I like the JPEG-results much better.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #260 on: September 24, 2017, 15:28:37 »
A shame as I will be very interested in low light real images from you. Im still going planing on getting one. Thanks please, share if you have another samples.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #261 on: September 24, 2017, 16:20:55 »
A shame as I will be very interested in low light real images from you. Im still going planing on getting one. Thanks please, share if you have another samples.

I can send them to you via private message, no problem. But I cannot post them to the public, because there is no model release. ...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #262 on: September 24, 2017, 16:50:26 »
It’s been since about June of 2016 when I ordered the new Hasselblad X1D and waited. Then I ordered the Fuji GFX... and waited. I sent both of those back for various reasons along with a lot of lenses, etc.

Then I ordered the Nikon D850 and waited just a little.

I received my copy today and have only had a couple of hours of time in on it. There may be some deep-dark flaw, but I have not seen it yet. Some of our techsperts will have to check that out. My initial impressions, so far, are:

(1) The ISO 64 seems to be there.

(2) The extra Mpx are definitely worth it. Very much a difference that counts.

(3) The new LiveView screen is better than the D810 by a lot, but also perhaps a little more difficult to focus, not to see, but to adjust focus.

(4) The sharpness of older lenses like the photo here taken with the Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar push this lens to a higher state of us. The camera makes sharpness... sharper, IMO.

(5) The color on the LiveView screen looks different than the D810, but the end result (color-wise) is excellent. No complaints.

I don’t use auto-focus and I still have not got the camera set up properly, but I’m working on it. So my initial impression is that this camera is as good or even better than I had hoped and at a HUGE savings in cost, not to mention that I have so many great lenses in the Nikon F-mount. If I have a single doubt, and I am not done checking this out, the highlights may clip... slightly more easily than the D810, but I will wait for gear guys to test this.

So far, so good.

Photo by the D850 and Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar lens.

The colors and bokeh; magic!

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #263 on: September 24, 2017, 21:01:13 »
I can send them to you via private message, no problem. But I cannot post them to the public, because there is no model release. ...

I get not posting portraits to the web for privacy concerns and out of respect, but model release is only necessary for commercial use where I live. I suspect you did not have model releases for everyone in the outdoor images posted earlier. Is this different because they were in a public space?

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #264 on: September 24, 2017, 21:03:54 »

Thank you Frank!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2017, 22:39:52 »
Just downloaded the latest nx-d version. I´m impressed with the 1800 iso and the ability to get +2 ev in post, correct the white balance and still get away with it.The rest is promising too. Thanks Frank

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #266 on: September 24, 2017, 22:57:57 »
I get not posting portraits to the web for privacy concerns and out of respect, but model release is only necessary for commercial use where I live. I suspect you did not have model releases for everyone in the outdoor images posted earlier. Is this different because they were in a public space?

More or less the answer is: YES, but not because it is a public space but because it is a public event. The detailed answer is: it is very complicated.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #267 on: September 24, 2017, 22:59:08 »
Just downloaded the latest nx-d version. I´m impressed with the 1800 iso and the ability to get +2 ev in post, correct the white balance and still get away with it.The rest is promising too. Thanks Frank

what did you think about IQ of the ISO 9 000, ISO 11 400, ISO 25 600 that I sent to you?

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #268 on: September 24, 2017, 23:15:46 »
The one marked 9000 is actually iso 1800 (dsc_2171) That´s the one I pushed 2 stops with very good results.
  I like the 11400. I pushed it 1/3 and touch the wb  a little and I think it will work for me if needed. The high resolution helps a lot.
   25600 not for me.

After seeing this I think I will comfortably shoot in the 1600-3200 range. It is the same thing I´m doing with the d500 and the d750 as of today but with that resolution, speed and autofocus, silent shutter, etc...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #269 on: September 24, 2017, 23:20:55 »
The one marked 9000 is actually iso 1800 (dsc_2171) That´s the one I pushed 2 stops with very good results.
  I like the 11400. I pushed it 1/3 and touch the wb  a little and I think it will work for me if needed. The high resolution helps a lot.
   25600 not for me.

After seeing this I think I will comfortably shoot in the 1600-3200 range. It is the same thing I´m doing with the d500 and the d750 as of today but with that resolution, speed and autofocus, silent shutter, etc...

The ISO9000 file I like is underway, sorry I mistook the number!