Author Topic: Nikon D850 previews, commentary - first reviews  (Read 85456 times)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Re: Nikon D850 previews, commentary - first reviews
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2017, 00:20:44 »
For a D5S, Bob?
 ;D

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2017, 05:25:58 »
Nice tutorial Jan Anne - very useful. A "like" or a "+1",  ;D.

Whilst I was aware of the basic numbers/cell  that you used, many are not aware of these and it is good how you have used these to frame your response.

You are both right, all li-ion batteries label the resting voltage (3.6-3.7V) and not its max voltage when fully charged (4.2V).

The EN-EL18a uses three li-ion cells so the volt range is between 9 and 12.6V.
- 3 x 3.6V = 10.8V on the sticker
- 3 x 4.2V = 12.6V when fully charged
- 3 x ca 3V = 9V when empty

The EN-EL15 uses two li-ion cells so the volt range is between 6 and 8.4V.
- 2 x 3.6V = 7.2V on the sticker
- 2 x 4.2V = 8.4V when fully charged
- 2 x ca 3V = 6V when empty

With 8 AA NiMH batteries, the volt range is between 6.4 and 11.6V
- 8 x 1.2V =  9.6V on the sticker
- 8 x 1.45V = 11.6V when fully charged
- 8 x 0.8V = 6.4V when empty

So the EN-EL18a starts at 12.6V and keeps it well above 9V which is above the 8.4V maximum of the EN-EL15. The AA pack starts in the volt range of the EN-EL18a but midway will drop below 9V into the lower volt range of the EN-EL15, so the camera should still work but the lower voltage isn't enough to drive the higher FPS.
Hugh Gunn

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2017, 10:38:18 »
Nice tutorial Jan Anne - very useful. A "like" or a "+1",  ;D.

Whilst I was aware of the basic numbers/cell  that you used, many are not aware of these and it is good how you have used these to frame your response.
Thanks Hugh :)

And thank you for the (hidden) suggestion for the "numbers/cell", I've slightly updated my post so the intro aligns with the rest of the story.

As a general comment, the figures used for the li-ion cells are for the general li-ion cells and might vary based on the used chemistry and technologies.

The ultra safe LiFePo chemistry has a resting voltage of 3.2V and a max voltage of 3.65V per cell, most common application is the lightweight batteries for motor cycles but I also use them in vintage flashlights designed for the 3V lithium batteries.

Some li-ion cells can be charged up to 4.35V, these have a resting voltage of 3.85V. Tesla uses these to cramp in just a little more juice for a little extra runtime at the same weight, DJI also uses them in the drone batteries for the same reason.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2017, 11:52:18 »
molested a Nikon D850 this afternoon  :o :o :o
for some reasons it felt smaller and more dense than the D800  ::)

chambeshi

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2017, 12:49:14 »
Yes, the major concern over WHEN to get one's D850 is the risk of teething problems in production. But these might not always be apparent early. The D750 has revealed these can take months to surface, and/or appears as a glitch in one or more production runs. Anticipated high demands for the D850 could stress quality control in production should Nikon struggle to meet consumer demand...

A lower priced D810 will attract many of us but silent shutter [of the D850] will confer a huge +ve for wildlife in many situations. Compared to the D850, the D850 has faster fps with improved ISO and DR.
Associated questions arise as to the role of high performance DX bodies. The  DX bodies become redundant, with only factors being lower cost, and they weigh less than this 1kg FX ($3000 + ) as the D850 specs say it will shoot DX RAW at 25 mp with DoF benefits and cropping factor.
As I understand initial reports and specs, one will also have the - by all accounts wonderful - D850 viewfinder to shoot a cropped DX :-)

So do I trade in my young D500 ?!? Or wait in case D850 has glitches? Oh the agony....

Nikon D850 is made in Thailand

i am definitely waiting until March/April

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2017, 13:01:14 »
For a D5S, Bob?
 ;D

i think my D5 is good for awhile..  I would like a resolution upgrade for it, but i don't expect a D5s to do that.

I am interested in a D850.. but i made the mistake of buying a D810 right away and sent it back.. i think i can wait 6 months.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2017, 13:49:56 »
I now have time reading the brochure I got last Thursday.
There's a kind of "recommended lens list" which I find a little strange

"With their exceptionally high resolving power, which makes full use of 45 megapixels, NIKKOR lenses are a perfect partner for the D850, allowing
photographers in every field to better capture the essence of their vision, and render every delicate tone or nuance. Thanks to Nikon’s superb
optical technology, they provide sharp resolution even at the periphery of an image, combined with elaborately designed, beautiful image-blur
characteristics. Many lenses feature the anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat, which effectively reduces ghost and flare. They are also designed
to reproduce point light sources as point images as much as possible. NIKKOR lenses are powerful tools for professionals looking to ensure
brilliantly sharp images regardless of the subject, environment or lighting conditions."

And then a sum-up with a short description.

AF-S 24-70/2.8E VR
AF-S 14-24/2.8G
AF-S 20/1.8G
AF-S 24/1.4G
AF-S 105/1.4E
AF-S 400/2.8E FL
PC Nikkor 19/4.0E
AF-S Fisheye 8-15/3.5-4.5E

I'm missing a few like AF-S 28/1.4E, AF-S 70-200/2.8E, AF-S 500/4.0E, AF-S 600/4.0E and perhaps a few more.
Chris Dees

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2017, 14:28:20 »
Any bets on whether the D850 mirror box is alloy or poly? The brochure only shows the back of the camera.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2017, 15:11:12 »
Any bets on whether the D850 mirror box is alloy or poly? The brochure only shows the back of the camera.

Dave

My bet is poly, as in D810 and D500
Bent

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2017, 15:52:05 »
i have some RAW files here, but they cant be opened by LR for now  :o :o :o

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2017, 17:12:00 »
I now have time reading the brochure I got last Thursday.
There's a kind of "recommended lens list" which I find a little strange

"...Many lenses feature the anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat, which effectively reduces ghost and flare. They are also designed
to reproduce point light sources as point images as much as possible. NIKKOR lenses are powerful tools for professionals looking to ensure
brilliantly sharp images regardless of the subject, environment or lighting conditions."

I'm not certain what you find strange - the lenses or the existence of the shortlist - but I can say that I believe it is motivated as much by ensuring users have a good experience as it is for marketing.

I've been using the Canon D5S R recently and having 50 mpx available is a recipe for disappointment. It isn't that the results are bad, it is that there is the capability to go that much deeper into them that those point light sources may not look so much like a point if you have a bit of motion blur, some coma in the lens or anything else. If we view at the same size as the 16mpx images which come out of the Df, all of that disappears, (well, deficiencies in dynamic range and color rendition don't ..) but in the modern world the results from a new camera are judged and debated through "100% crop" or other attempts at equivalence. In that world, Nikon is trying to make sure their results are with the lenses which work best on the camera. Why would you leave that part of the equation to chance?

For the rest of the photographers in the world who are concerned with whether their vision is realized, the lens list can be taken with a grain of salt. High resolution just gives you more capability to pull what you want out of the camera. I'd use the D5S all the time except that is does not perform as well as the Df in the conditions I tend to be shooting in.

The D850 seems like it will be a great camera for Nikon. Can't wait to see it the real world results over the next few months.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2017, 17:12:30 »
My guess is that upgrades for de-mosaicing software will be publicly released on or just before the same day on which the cameras ship (which I believe is supposed to be on 7th September?).

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2017, 17:25:43 »
Likely those lenses are what Nikon would like to sell more of while thinking they are among the much larger collection of Nikkors that will perform excellently on the D850. They probably don't mention 70-200/2.8 FL or 28/1.4 because presumably as very new lenses they are selling well without additional promotion... also 200/2, 300/2.8 not mentioned.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2017, 17:36:41 »
The online brochure does mention the newer Nikkors like the 70-200/2.8E FL, the 28/1.4E, the 8-15 fisheye and the 19/4E PC; does the printed brochure differ from the online??

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2017, 17:49:12 »
My guess is that upgrades for de-mosaicing software will be publicly released on or just before the same day on which the cameras ship (which I believe is supposed to be on 7th September?).

Also a nice opportunity for Adobe to release lens profiles for the newer Nikkors like the 28mm f/1.4E ED and the 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED fisheye   :)