Author Topic: Where Tigers Prowl  (Read 5353 times)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Where Tigers Prowl
« on: August 23, 2017, 23:45:11 »
In all of history there have never been wild tigers in Africa — until now.

In a distant Karoo Canyon, miles from any large city (about eight-hours drive from either Durban or Johannesburg) 20 Bengal Tigers now roam wild over 1,500 hectares (nearly 4,000 acres), hunt for prey and breed.

This is the brilliant concept developed by John Varty with the hope of preventing the extinction of this species.

Estimates of the remaining population of wild Bengal tigers in India varies between a maximum of 3,000 and a more probable number of only 1,000 animals. Compounding the problem is the fact that another Tiger is currently being killed every day by poachers who supply the lucrative Chinese Traditional Medicine market.

My great friend Pepe Jones (who runs NatureUncut Tours from Cape Town and who has arranged all of my wonderful trips to Southern Africa where we have shared some fairly wild adventures together) and I were very privileged to spend a morning photographing some of the Karoo Tigers.

We travelled inside a jeep enclosed in a heavy steel cage (strong enough to support a tiger should it leap on the roof) and with openings at both seat and ceiling-height through which we could poke our camera lenses — while being ready to jump back and close the lower windows when a tiger came just a bit too close.

Tigers hunt by hiding and then ambushing their prey. You would imagine that a Tiger would be extremely visible but their markings blend so well  with sunlight and shadow, and with the soil and vegetation that I didn’t even see this one who was crouching in the long grass until we were within a few feet of him.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Where Tigers Prowl
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 00:00:44 »
The largest male (some 250 Kgs of him!) likes to lay claim to all things by marking his territory and this includes the jeep (he jumped onto the hood at one point) and anything and anybody that may be inside the jeep — as Pepe was soon to discover with some dismay.

My “Tiger Shoot” definitely numbers among the most memorable and exciting photographic opportunities that I have ever experienced.

Tiger Canyon is probably the only place left in the world where we have the chance to see and photograph wild tigers in any numbers. Certainly, the chance of doing so in India is now negligible — many of the Tiger Preserves in that country have not actually seen a single tiger during the past three years.

John Varty’s plan had been to breed and return tigers to the wild in India but until the poaching is brought under control, shipping tigers to India would simply be signing their death warrant.

The need for more acreage if more Tigers are to find safe haven in the Karoo is obviously of continuing importance. Neighboring land-owners are joining this effort and in September (only a couple of weeks before I took these photographs) a further 1000 Ha were made available for the Tigers.

This enabled Corbett (a tiger with a particularly long “rap sheet” for attacks on fencing crews and fellow Tigers, murder of a Tigress and a nearly successful attempt on John Varty’s life as well!) to be given more space in which to roam with his Tigress.

A major expense, apart from building and maintaining 4-metre high electrified perimeter fences, is the provision of sufficient live game for the tigers to hunt. A recent delivery was followed by five Springboks becoming dinner on the first night after their release. It is hoped that the antelopes will self-replenish to some degree but the Tigers will determine the outcome of that plan.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 00:06:59 »
that tiger looks like your very own!.. nice scenery as well.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 00:14:11 »
These photographs are of Tigress Ussuri and her three seven-month-old cubs.

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 00:32:13 »
What exotic creatures they are.  Beautifully photographed along with an enlightening story about the tigers.

Thank you for sharing Ann!
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 01:33:52 »
Bill and Bob:
I am so glad that you liked the tigers.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:40:56 »
The last photographs show a some of the fully grown males including the massive 550 lb Tiger which posted his claim to our Jeep, and all that there-in was, by first jumping onto the bonnet and then continually spraying it (and us!) from all angles around the vehicle!

Pepe caught three blasts at extremely close range (including one directly to her face) until she took refuge under a blanket.
Agonized squeals came from beneath the blanket begging JayJay Modise, our Guide and driver, to  “Please make him stop”!

I luckily avoided being sprayed but Pepe really caught it!

I am afraid that I couldn’t (and still can’t!) stop laughing at her distress and her vain pleas for, JayJay to “control” the tiger!

Pepe put her jeans through the washing machine three times and still had all of the Tladi Lodge dogs leaping all over her when we reached Johannesburg some days later.
She uses those neoprene Lens Coats on her lenses and they got soaked with spray too although I imagine that they are washable.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 02:29:36 »

Very interesting story Ann. This is certainly something different. They are all nice but the spraying image is really special. Thanks for posting.
Øivind Tøien

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 03:32:53 »
Great series of photos. Magnificent animals!

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 04:19:43 »
Oh, Ann, these are just breathtaking, just stunning. I love tigers so much!!!!
I've been scrolling through them for about an hour. Their head patterns are different! I had read that, but now can see it in all these different photos.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 05:55:09 »
Magnificent series

Getting sprayed by a tiger is better than being eaten  8)
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

DougB

• NG Member
  • I IS NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 19:02:27 »
Outstanding images from a great photographer.
GREAT to "see" you here, Ann

[and shot with a D3S I see  ;D)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 19:51:45 »
Andrea, Armando and Doug:

Thank you all so much for your extremely kind comments.

Tiger Canyon is a truly special place and was a very courageous venture by John Varty.

It is not an easy place to reach; and you do need to book in advance.
They have built a small lodge into the cliff of the Canyon since I was there so now people can stay over-night.

However, they will not take you on a Tiger Drive after dark for two reasons: the tigers need to hunt without being disturbed; and it is far too dangerous for the Rangers to open the gates when they cannot see what may be lurking close by — ready to ambush them in a single bound.
----
Doug noticed the EXIF! Yes, these were shot with my D3S cameras but these days they have had to make way for my totally incredible D5.
(More about my adventures with the D5 will follow shortly!)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 19:59:07 »
I am happy that the forum does not feature Odorama! I do not like cat markings but Tiger markings I guess are breath taking.

Perfectly lit shots that show all their features well. I do not feel inclined to get anywhere near these animals. Interesting concept to save animal species by creating a habitat far away from their original.

I hear there are people wanting to reintroduce Elephants to Scotland where their ancestors were extinct 11 thousand years ago. Would make Scotland even more a magnet for tourists and could help save the sheep wrecked landscape (quote George Monbiot)

PS: I just learn, that Professor Jens-Christian Svenning suggests to rewild Denmark with elephants too...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 20:13:26 »
Why stop at elephants? Surely Scotland should have Woolly Mammoths?

Don't imagine that this is entirely far-fetched because apparently there are plans afoot to see if they can extract DNA from frozen Mammoths; use AIS technolgy; and plant the ova in some poor unsuspecting African Elephant.