Author Topic: Forum Software (not an issue)  (Read 8207 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Forum Software (not an issue)
« on: July 27, 2017, 22:18:51 »
I was curious what forum software you use and found the answer in the footer, Simple Machines. On some other forums I traverse, they use Discourse. One thing I like about it is the ability to "like" a message (they use a heart icon). On this site I often want to express appreciation without posting, so if you can ever turn on a feature like that, I would be in favor.

An example of Discourse is on a high end music player site called Roon:
https://community.roonlabs.com/

It has a nice look and feel and responsive interface. The downside is that it is a little harder to host as it runs on Ruby on Rails. There is a conversion routine from Simple Machines to Discourse, but I know it would be a huge undertaking to switch. But I just bring it up for a point of reference.

Keep up the good work,
Rob.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Forum Software (not an issue)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 23:23:41 »
Thanks for you feedback!

The 'Like' function will not be activated, we would however like everybody to express in words what they like.  :)
Erik Lund

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 01:24:27 »
Thanks -- I wasn't sure if it was a limitation or a conscious choice.

Any thought for off topic forum areas, like on Music? Would be curious to learn the musical tastes and recommendations from the folks here!

Rob.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 01:57:46 »
Thanks -- I wasn't sure if it was a limitation or a conscious choice.

Any thought for off topic forum areas, like on Music? Would be curious to learn the musical tastes and recommendations from the folks here!

Rob.

I don't know how helpful my tastes in music will be to you, when they are so varied. My music runs from Pavarotti to Led Zeppelin, with tangents toward Stan Kenton, Count Basie, Gerry Mulligan, Rusty Draper, Rossini, George Gershwin, Joe Bonamassa, I can't find a place to stop! Well, I am not a fan of new age stuff, or rap.

I don't how anyone would recommend music to you unless you provided some clues. Ever heard Big Maceo Merriweather the self taught genius (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SseYSEnjZgU) or Errol Garner the blind genius? What about Moby Grape, Caruso, Jerry Vale? Whoa, now I need a cold one....... ;)
Carl

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 02:17:01 »
Born under a bad sign
Been down since I began to crawl
If it wasn't for bad luck, you know I wouldn't have no luck at all

Albert King
Cream
etc.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 05:01:29 »
I don't know how helpful my tastes in music will be to you, when they are so varied. My music runs from Pavarotti to Led Zeppelin, with tangents toward Stan Kenton, Count Basie, Gerry Mulligan, Rusty Draper, Rossini, George Gershwin, Joe Bonamassa, I can't find a place to stop! Well, I am not a fan of new age stuff, or rap.

I don't how anyone would recommend music to you unless you provided some clues. Ever heard Big Maceo Merriweather the self taught genius (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SseYSEnjZgU) or Errol Garner the blind genius? What about Moby Grape, Caruso, Jerry Vale? Whoa, now I need a cold one....... ;)

Awesome, I will check some out! I didn't mean Recommendations specifically for me, but more like "What I'm Listening To Now?" or "Favorite Album for the Month". This thread was the inspiration, granted from a music software forum: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/your-favourite-albums/16904/11

I'd love to hear from our resident music powerhouse, Michael Erlewine!!

Here's one I am playing now, London Grammar.

Rob.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 14:43:47 »
Rob, thanks for the reference to the software Discourse! I do keep these references in mind should we ever need to change software here or on other websites I for which I perform admin duties.

There was a conscious choice made by the Nikongear owners not to go in the direction of a social media website, but rather to promote a straightforward posting and discussion of photographs, photography and photo gear. So we currently have no "likes" or chat rooms or twitter/facebook links. That's not to say that NG won't evolve in the future to include new features. So we do welcome suggestions from the membership.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 14:56:53 »
Thanks! I don't think Likes makes it a social media site, so I hope you consider that feature (I think I understood from a previous post that it was available in this platform). I think many more people would like vs not commenting. You've set up a great forum!

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 16:09:15 »
Well, we want to encourage you to express why you like a photo. All it takes is one simple sentence.  And thinking about 'why' can also improve your own photography, perhaps???  8) Just a thought......

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 17:36:21 »
I don't have as much time left on earth as I would like, but I have enough to type "I agree".  And if an icon to express agreement were wanted, NikonGear is not a heart icon sort of place - I hope.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 17:54:13 »
I agree with the no likes here on NG. I click them elsewhere from time to time but I feel they are frivolous or trivial. Back on Photo.net I give a very high percentage of high ratings. I found I was only rating photos I felt deserved high ratings and didn't rate average or poor photos. I deleted all my ratings.

I think things are fine as they are here on Nikon Gear.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!