Author Topic: Scotland's new bridge  (Read 2365 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Scotland's new bridge
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:22:48 »
Scotland has a new bridge - "The Queensferry Crossing" which will open to the public on 30th August.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Scotland's new bridge
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 15:07:37 »
Love the colours David - they work in well with those of the new bridge.

My great grandmother came from Kincardine - a little further up near the head of the estuary.
Hugh Gunn

Viv

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 15:57:04 »
Lovely shot of a beautiful bridge.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 16:17:00 »
Very nice, David!
Carl

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 21:41:03 »
Thank you - Hugh, Viv and Carl. This was the first time I had seen the bridge in its almost finished state and I was surprised by its delicate beauty.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 22:02:35 »
Suspension bridges are great visualizations of physics.  The image proves that.  I'm not sure if they are positive additions to the landscapes, though...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 10:49:46 »
Suspension bridges are great visualizations of physics.  The image proves that.  I'm not sure if they are positive additions to the landscapes, though...

I know what you mean, but whether a suspension bridge enhances the landscape or spoils it, depends on the bridge and the landscape! In this case, the elegant bridge can only be an improvement on its rather plain, undistinguished surroundings, imho.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 13:58:20 »
Impressive!

Thank you,

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 14:40:19 »
I like how the bridge frames the warm sun light under it and the contrast of the bridge vs the dark cloud , plus all the vessels under it

a very nice image
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 20:42:09 »
That new railway bridge or motorway bridge? Both this bridges on Google Map had name "Forth bridge"...
Railway bridge, if I am correct is over hundred years old and was build using very modern technic...
Motorway-I think was build ca 1960...

But what can I say after 50 years from my last Scotland visit...
Andrew Iwanowski

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 00:12:19 »
Thanks, David, Armando and Andrew.

Andrew - Correctly speaking, the existing bridges are called The Forth Bridge and the Forth Road Bridge (which was completed around 1965). Including the new (road) bridge, all three pass more-or-less overhead of the two small towns, South Queensferry and North Queensferry, hence the name of the new bridge The Queensferry Crossing.

Ferries ran between the two Queensferries until the first road bridge opened in the '60s. The queues of cars were very, very long.   :-\

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 18:07:52 »
Scotland has a new bridge - "The Queensferry Crossing" which will open to the public on 30th August.

I passed by the construction site last year in Francis' car. Pity there was no good place to step out of the car and take photos. I only have some shots of it from the driving car in the pouring rain. How long did it take to build it? Will they keep the old bridge additionally?

I found the answer: http://www.wave102.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/06/Queensferry-Crossing-2017.jpg

Which brings up the next question: how did you manage to not show the other two bridges???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 18:15:01 »
http://www.wave102.co.uk/2017/06/20/queensferry-crossing-to-open-to-vehicles-on-august-30/

Wow. Next week it will be allowed to walk the bridge. Once.

After that there will be no pedestrian access for the foreseeable. Who will go there and take photos???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 22:47:55 »
That bridge looks so graceful and delicate; and you chose your moment and position to photograph it extremely well against a sky which complements the tracery so perfectly.

I have also seen a similarly delicate-looking bridge in Ireland and am guessing that the same engineering team may have been involved with both bridges?

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 00:10:16 »
Thank you, Ann.

Frank - though photographs can make the (3) bridges look as if they are quite close together, actually they are quite far apart. so it is simple to be in a position *between* the bridges, and anyway, I know that area pretty well. Both road bridges will remain in use - one northbound, one southbound. No-ne will be allowed on the new bridge except, I would guess, those who are willing to pay a large "facility" fee. and my guess for that would be £750-£1000 per day or part of a day.