Author Topic: New Voigtlander 40/2 Announced  (Read 3205 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: New Voigtlander 40/2 Announced
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 22:48:57 »
I liked Ai-P 45/2.8 on F100 and D750.  But I found two shortcomings.  The closest focusing distance was a bit too far (45cm) and, even though it is of a simple 4E3G Tessar design, it is prone to ghosting, unlike more complicated AF-S 50/1.8G.

So, I would consider the ability to focus up to 25cm on its own is more preferable than the attachment solution, especially for such a "handy" all-rounder.

On the other hand, I'm not big fan of the hill-and-dale focusing ring of old Nikkor.  I didn't feel the operation is comfortable because its handling changes according to the angle of the ring.  I would much prefer the the finely knurled focus ring of, say, Zeiss Classic series lenses, so far as the all-metal focus ring is concerned.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 02:43:07 »
The question is, do I really need another standard lens?? :o :)

And the answer is: YES!!

Dave who vicariously enjoys helping others spend their money.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 02:55:42 »
What is special about this particular price of glass? Why should I lust after it? ...other than it is the most unwide of wide angle lenses or two millimeters two wide for me to consider it a normal lens.

Why should I lust after the new Voigtlander 40/2 lens?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 03:15:31 »
Thanks Dave. I was playing with the idea of replacing my AFD 50/1.8 with the AFS version, so my wife has an "automatic" lens to use. The AFD is fine but the bokeh isn't great, I heard good things about the AFS, but just can't bring myself to buying a plastic fantastic.

Why should you lust after the new 40/2? It looks cool.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 03:41:28 »
The Australian distributor has these here:  www.mainlinephoto.com.au/lens/eos-mount-lenses 

The new 40/2 is quoted at $A675 (incl 10% GST).  This is about $US540.  However with the tax off for OS customers this reduces to $US491, and then there is a 15% one off discount off this figure (to $US417) for just this weekend only......   ;D

(I have no business or financial relationship with Mainline Photo; I have however found them good to deal with.)

And the answer is: YES!!

Dave who vicariously enjoys helping others spend their money.
Hugh Gunn

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:39 »
What is special about this particular price of glass?

It has a nearly symmetrical design, which means a low level of distortion, coma and lateral colour, which, even if you don't care about distortion and coma for your uses, means better "sharpness" in the periphery than most "normal" lenses.  As you say, "normal" for 36 x 24 is 43mm, but there is no lens closer to 43mm except the Nikon 45mm, which gives up a stop and is ergonomically terrible, and in any case sells for as much second-hand as the Voigtlander costs new.  The old lens was beautifully made and a pleasure to handle and use; the optical design of the new lens is the same as the old one, and there is no reason to think the build quality will be different. 

The people for whom the lens is most special are users of the FM2/3; the size and weight match better than the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI-S and it is superior to the Nikon 45mm f/2.8 (the kit lens for the FM3) and the Nikon 50/1.8 E series.  The old lens was also a good "normal" lens on modern cameras whenever size and weight were considerations, and for people who just like a looser "normal".

Whether the gain in size and weight with the new model, and the removal of the inverted cone shade, changes anything we will have to handle the lens to see.