Author Topic: New Voigtlander 40/2 Announced  (Read 3195 times)

Jim Covello

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Artful Engineer
New Voigtlander 40/2 Announced
« on: August 17, 2017, 20:56:12 »
I have the previous version and love it.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: New Voigtlander 40/2 Announced
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 21:19:56 »
Same here. Their 58/1.4 has recently been revived, so I am not surprised.
Airy Magnien

Tejpor

• NG Member
    • ETERNIPIX
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 21:46:28 »
Link(s) please :)

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 22:32:14 »
Look at nikonrumors.com

michel

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 12:20:02 »
Nice!

Voigtlander, now reintroduce the 180mm, 125mm and 90mm apo-lanthars.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:26:02 »
They appear to have deleted the close-up lens, which is a pity but hardly a big deal, and the hood is now an optional extra and a standard shape, which increases the effective price and makes the new lens not quite as pocket-friendly as the old one.   

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 15:38:36 »
They appear to have deleted the close-up lens, which is a pity but hardly a big deal, and the hood is now an optional extra and a standard shape, which increases the effective price and makes the new lens not quite as pocket-friendly as the old one.

The new version can focus up to 25cm on its own, which is way more handy than the accompanying closeup lens, and this would be the reason for the elongated lens barrel (longer travel of the lens for closer focusing).
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 17:46:29 »
Nice!

Voigtlander, now reintroduce the 180mm, 125mm and 90mm apo-lanthars.

Yes, and make them E-mount native with CPU contacts . . .  (and make F-mount versions too of course).

So, since a company like Cosina is putting out re-made F-mount lenses, does this mean that they have a heads up from Nikon that a mirrorless FX camera from Nikon would have the same sensor-to-mount distances, or do these companies not even talk about such stuff and Cosina is just putting out low-effort lens updates for the current Nikon DSLRs?
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 20:26:05 »
So, since a company like Cosina is putting out re-made F-mount lenses, does this mean that they have a heads up from Nikon that a mirrorless FX camera from Nikon would have the same sensor-to-mount distances, or do these companies not even talk about such stuff and Cosina is just putting out low-effort lens updates for the current Nikon DSLRs?

No, Nikon have already filed some lenses for the full-frame mirrorless system.  So, the flange back should be much shorter.

That said, I guess that Nikon has learned the hard lesson from their "failure" by disabling Nikon 1 to meter with the lenses of different makes and from different periods attached via simple adapters.

Tejpor

• NG Member
    • ETERNIPIX
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 21:35:02 »
Interesting. The optical formula appears to be very similar, close focus is indeed better (equivalent to earlier versions with close-up lens), but the form factor and weight is no longer panca-kish...

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 21:53:01 »
I'm a bit skeptical though. On the former version, the close-up lens allows closer focus without quality loss. On the contrary, the Voigt 58/1.4 can focus pretty close without close-up lens, but gets very soft in the process (unless you stop down by quite a bit, which is OK for conventional macro). Extending the helicoid does not guarantee good performance.

Anyway, nice to see a good design being revived.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 22:09:12 »
The optical design of 40/2.0 is fairly symmetric, so close-focus performance could be decent without attachment.

I would rather consider the attachment for the previous version as the compensation for the mechanical limitation of the lens travel due to its short pancake barrel.  The same goes with Ai-P 45/2.8.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 22:27:17 »
I wonder how well it performs at close range. Most unit-focusing lenses are optimised for infinity or far distances, and the near focus distance is limited at the point where optical performance starts to drop off (usually a little less than 10x focal length). Indeed, the older 40mm Ultron focuses to 0.38m, but it comes a dedicated close-up lens to reduce the focus distance to 0.25m. If the the close-up lens is well matched to the lens it could provide improved image quality at close range, compared to increasing magnification purely by extension.

Now the new version focuses to 0.25m without a close-up lens, and the optical design appears unchanged, so we might expect some drop in performance at very close range. On the other hand,  sharpness near the center of the image usually remains fairly good, the corners suffer more, and close-ups are often of subjects like flowers which are placed centrally and corners are not in focus anyway. Also, closeups are usually shot stopped down which improves performance, so maybe this is a good compromise. Continuous focusing to close range is certainly far more convenient than fiddling with close-up lenses.

The new lens is not as compact as older versions, but is still very small compared to most other similar lenses such as the AFS 35/1.8 or AFS 50/1.8. It is about the same size, but heavier than the AFD 50/1.8.

I love the classic styling of this lens, and with a modern optical design, CPU, useful focal length and speed, compact design with close focusing, it is a very appealing package...  The question is, do I really need another standard lens?? :o :)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 22:45:13 »
Yes ! (at least, ex post I'd always find a good justification). Consider the FL, which is unusual but (to me) very convenient...
Airy Magnien