Author Topic: Barriers  (Read 2629 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Barriers
« on: August 05, 2017, 15:55:53 »
Taken a few years ago here in downtown Toronto.
Temporary street barriers were neatly stacked for use at a street parade and I liked the repeating pattern as well as contrast between the fluorescent paint and the bare metal, and grabbed this shot.
motorized Nikon F2AS
Nikkor 105 2.5 AI manual focus
Fuji Sensia II 100 ISO colour slide
probably 2.8 @ 1/500th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
Re: Barriers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 13:50:48 »
Introuging color and shape.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 15:05:16 »
Thanks Eric.
Apparently you and I are among the very few who like this photo.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 19:31:01 »
Apparently you and I are among the very few who like this photo.
A bit surprising with 55 views as of now.
It´s policy of this site not to have a clickable "like". For me who also does receive few comments it would perhaps be encouraging for the possibility of a "like" or two. But so it goes. Better pictures and more activity probably would help.
A nice "film look" really comes through in your picture.
Eric

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 19:38:07 »
It´s policy of this site not to have a clickable "like". For me who also does receive few comments it would perhaps be encouraging for the possibility of a "like" or two. But so it goes. Better pictures and more activity probably would help.
Eric
I'm not a fan of the clickable "like" as to me, it is the Lazy Man's way of commenting. Telling me you like something is really no help, and if nothing else, some people simply hit the like button to be nice, and nothing more. I much prefer that viewers take a minute or two and tell me why they like or dislike a shot and offer suggestions on what might be done to improve it.
Anyway, it is what it is, and I doubt that the situation will change.
Thanks for commenting.
Robert

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 06:21:40 »
Another shot that says something with notable use of color. Does your reproduction here give a roughly realistic impression of the look of original transparency?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jim Covello

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Artful Engineer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 06:52:11 »
I like the contrast of the metal and the almost toxic-looking (radioactive?) green. Nice detail/pattern shot.
Jim

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 13:58:53 »
Keith /Jim,
Thanks for commenting
Keith,
The scanned image you see here is, in this case a faithful reproduction of the original slide.
Robert

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 16:52:52 »
I like the composition (angled).
the purple cast on the metal and the acidic green go well together.  and the colour banding is nicely balanced.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 17:51:49 »
Eric

We are not taking the route of other social media where you acquire likes. We encourage discussions about photography. Yes it is lazy to simply scroll through images and offer your likes. It is more important to state what is it that you like or dislike about an image.
The critique section is deliberately made for that, although it is more than welcome elsewhere.
I join you all in the opinion that there are not enough comments about images. However, I feel that we are all to blame. We all post more images than we comment on other's images.
What usually happens is that we just don't bother posting our comments if we don't like an image.
If anyone has an idea on how to promote comments on photos, please let us all know :)

Robert, you film/scanned images are unique because you are one of the rare photographers that bothers with film. I respect that.
I don't know whether it is your style or is it the problem of scanning because your images rarely have (in my opinion) sufficient contrast, a pleasing color palette, and they lack sharpness (who am I to say that, right).

Anyhow, these are my comments.

In the future, I will try my best to comment more on photos and I will offer my sincere opinion even on photos that don't bring out the WOW effect in me.
After all, it's just my humble opinion :)

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 21:56:25 »

I don't know whether it is your style or is it the problem of scanning because your images rarely have (in my opinion) sufficient contrast, a pleasing color palette, and they lack sharpness (who am I to say that, right).

They have been lowcon and fuzzy in the past, but recently have seemed to improved in contrast and saturation.  Robert, have you recently changed/improved your scanning method?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 14:05:48 »
Jacov /Pluton,
Thank you both for your comments.
Jacov,
I appreciate your candor, and welcome your critique, but don't agree with your blanket condemnation of my photos. 
I will however take the time in future to pay particular attention to the contrast and colour palette as you suggest.
Pluton,
While my scanner is the same (Minolta Dimage scan Elite 5400) the software I use to run it (Vuescan) is continually upgraded by the manufacturer, so this might be the explanation for the improvement you suggested.
Robert

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 15:51:39 »
it can be discouraging to get no  comments on an image one thinks is worth sharing, so here are my comments

Robert,
While I see the diagonal pattern and the contrast of the fluorescent green vs the bare metal something that attracted you to take the shot, I'm not particularly attracted to this image, you have shared many other that I find more interesting

The attributes mentioned by Jakov are what make your images unique and that is why I like them, or most of them at least
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 16:56:29 »
Me like the color harmony in the picture.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 18:06:58 »
Armando /Ethan,
Thanks for commenting.
Armando,
I appreciate that you don't like the shot but took the time to comment.
Robert