Author Topic: Footage of Sony Kumamoto factory after the earthquake  (Read 4320 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Footage of Sony Kumamoto factory after the earthquake
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:29 »
Dpreview.com posted an article about the footage of Sony Kumamoto sensor factory right after the disastrous earthquake last year.  The footage was published yesterday.  Here is the direct link to the footage on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jczAV862LhU

The workers brought the factory back to the fully normal operation in three months.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Footage of Sony Kumamoto factory after the earthquake
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:48:06 »
interesting video, thanks for sharing
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:58:08 »
Remarkable video about the effects of the earthquake.

The building looks pretty damaged, but I assume it was built to withstand earthquakes?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 09:19:14 »
Armando and John, thanks for the comments.

John, the building should be built to withstand the earthquake, but the two consecutive quakes (M6.5 on April 14th and M7.3 on 16th) was powerful enough to leave significant damage to the building.  The magnitude number was not extremely high, but the building was so close to the seismic source that the Japanese scale of the earthquake reached to the highest value of "7".

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:50:56 »
Some of us live on the "Ring of Fire."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Fire

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 16:20:16 »
Thank you Akira.  Very interesting. And only imagine the nightmare to have a "clean room" clean again.  And this is only a detail, to speak.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 17:31:52 »
Dave, "we" are well aware of that...

Christian, yes, the clean room appears to have lost everything to keep the room "clean".

Tejpor

• NG Member
    • ETERNIPIX
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 18:01:00 »
Very dramatic! My condolences...

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 18:41:28 »
Akira, thank you for posting.  This video shows clearly the terrifying force of the earthquakes.
Anthony Macaulay

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 19:30:37 »
Some of us live on the "Ring of Fire."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Fire

Dave

The media often trot this out.

So why is it called the "Ring of Fire"?  Because of all the earthquakes and volcanoes there. Why are there so many earthquakes and volcanoes there?  Because it's on the Ring of Fire.  The whole concept as used by the media is based on circular logic.

There's nothing special about the Ring of Fire compared to other active tectonic zones around the world.  It does contain the majority of the planet's subduction zones which tend to create conspicuous tectonic activity, in contrast to seafloor spreading zones where the action is three km underwater and gets ignored by everyone except scientists. 

Why does the Ring of Fire exist?  Because a majority of the earth's surface is moving towards the Pacific Ocean from both east and west, leading to lots of visible tectonic activity around most of the perimeter of the ocean. Mostly this consists of a series of linked subduction zones, but in a few spots like California and New Zealand, the 'ring' is composed of a transform fault.

Besides, it's not even a ring.  It's shaped like a deformed horseshoe, with a gap of many thousands of miles at the south end.   The term itself is a misnomer.

Tejpor

• NG Member
    • ETERNIPIX
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 20:23:36 »
The media often trot this out.

So why is it called the "Ring of Fire"?  Because of all the earthquakes and volcanoes there. Why are there so many earthquakes and volcanoes there?  Because it's on the Ring of Fire.  The whole concept as used by the media is based on circular logic.

There's nothing special about the Ring of Fire compared to other active tectonic zones around the world.  It does contain the majority of the planet's subduction zones which tend to create conspicuous tectonic activity, in contrast to seafloor spreading zones where the action is three km underwater and gets ignored by everyone except scientists. 

Why does the Ring of Fire exist?  Because a majority of the earth's surface is moving towards the Pacific Ocean from both east and west, leading to lots of visible tectonic activity around most of the perimeter of the ocean. Mostly this consists of a series of linked subduction zones, but in a few spots like California and New Zealand, the 'ring' is composed of a transform fault.

Besides, it's not even a ring.  It's shaped like a deformed horseshoe, with a gap of many thousands of miles at the south end.   The term itself is a misnomer.

To my knowledge, the term may be not a misnofmer, as Antarctica in the south is also home to several volcanoes, maybe buried under thick ice...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 21:47:10 »
László and Anthony, thanks for your sympathy.

Bill, although the term "Ring of Fire" was new to me, its meaning was obvious.  The term is not used or common in Japan.  The "circum-Pacific orogenic belt" would be more scientific, I guess?

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 03:02:34 »
To my knowledge, the term may be not a misnofmer, as Antarctica in the south is also home to several volcanoes, maybe buried under thick ice...

Tejpor, the Antarctic volcanoes occupy a limited area and don't connect up the belt, even roughly.  Thanks for bringing this up, though, as I just learned that a new volcanic field has been discovered in west Antarctica with some volcanoes buried under the ice.  If there are more discoveries, perhaps in time my statement about the lack of continuity of the ring will prove to be rash.

László and Anthony, thanks for your sympathy.

Bill, although the term "Ring of Fire" was new to me, its meaning was obvious.  The term is not used or common in Japan.  The "circum-Pacific orogenic belt" would be more scientific, I guess?

Akira, you are absolutely correct.  I guess what bothers me about the "Ring of Fire" concept being trotted out every time there's a seismic or volcano activity in the area is that it's often used as a somewhat sensationalistic term, one that pretends to convey important meaning but really doesn't.  I also live in this belt and can expect earthquakes in the future, but I wouldn't breathe any easier just because I moved to a different tectonically active zone that's not part of the feared Ring of Fire.  The degree of seismic or volcanic risk asserted to exist at any one location needs to be based on scientific study of that risk, not on mere co-location with a very lengthy tectonically active region where the type and degree of activity and associated danger vary wildly from one location to the next.

That said, my political jurisdiction of California has the second-highest risk of earthquakes and the highest risk of earthquake causalities and damage of any state in the U.S.  We also have some volcanic risk, more than most people realize.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 04:32:52 »
I live rather close to the San Andreas Fault and his friends fracture the San Bernardino valley. Yes, I'm now one of the dirt people, the 909. I've looked into people's bedrooms in Glendale, California where a brick wall once was. The corner walls fell but the floor stayed in place. I think that one hit while people may have been asleep. Bricks were all over the sidewalk and in the street. As far as I know there where no fatalities in Glendale that time.

The perimeter of the Pacific is fair game for earthquakes, tsunamis, do we have to worry about volcanoes too [here in California]?

I'll take this earthquake thing as apposed to living in Tornado Alley. I Apologize in advance is case someone objects to the term Tornado Alley.

Dave who sometimes, Shacks, Rattles and Rolls and won't do nothin' to save his dog gone soul.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 10:34:00 »
As someone born in New Zealand, I am quite well aware of the devastation wrought by earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes.

My grand parents lived in Christchurch and an uncle & aunt on NZ's west coast - two very earth quake prone areas.

I feel very sorry for the devastation suffered by the Japanese people and the Californians as a result earthquakes and tsunamis.

I live rather close to the San Andreas Fault and his friends fracture the San Bernardino valley. Yes, I'm now one of the dirt people, the 909. I've looked into people's bedrooms in Glendale, California where a brick wall once was. The corner walls fell but the floor stayed in place. I think that one hit while people may have been asleep. Bricks were all over the sidewalk and in the street. As far as I know there where no fatalities in Glendale that time.

The perimeter of the Pacific is fair game for earthquakes, tsunamis, do we have to worry about volcanoes too [here in California]?

I'll take this earthquake thing as apposed to living in Tornado Alley. I Apologize in advance is case someone objects to the term Tornado Alley.

Dave who sometimes, Shacks, Rattles and Rolls and won't do nothin' to save his dog gone soul.
Hugh Gunn