Author Topic: Paradise Lost: Jiuzhaigou  (Read 3745 times)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Re: Paradise Lost: Jiuzhaigou
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 23:36:54 »
I am very excited by the prospect.

I am going to be shown around by a photographer who lives in that country, and has himself taken some superb bird and animal photographs, so he knows where to take me to have the best chances of seeing some really beautiful creatures.

Yes it is a RAIN forest (and there will be mosquitoes too!) so it's a good thing that my camera is reasonably waterproof — and I can always stick a large polythene bag and bug repellent into my pockets.

We got caught in a real tropical deluge when I was out on a Borneo river in a small boat last summer (story for another thread!) and my friend had the very quick reaction to pull a large garbage bag right over my head to fully encase both me and the camera.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 18:08:54 »
New maxim:  Always carry a garbage bag when shooting !!!

Do you have one of those camera rain covers? I have these OpTech versions, but other companies make them too.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469774-REG/OP_TECH_USA_9001132_18_Rainsleeve_Set_of.html

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 18:22:30 »
I do have a camera-raincoat (mine was from KATA) but, in a sudden tropical downpour, a garbage bag is more quickly deployed!

We had no cover for our little boat though so we soon had several inches of water sloshing around our ankles and had to get our camera bags off the floor in a hurry.

::)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 21:35:36 »
Prayer Wheels

The Tibetans are a very spiritual people so temples and also prayer flags, ribbon banners and Prayer wheels abound.

The outer shell of a prayer wheel houses many tightly folded written prayers, mantras blessings so when the wheel spins, those messages are dispersed across the world to spread goodwill and compassion.

These prayer wheels, in the Shuzheng Valley section of the Park, take advantage of the swirling rapids to keep them turning but in temples on dryer terrain, human hands spin the wheels as the people pass by.

The colourful prayer flags are inscribed with a written prayer or mantra and the passing breeze sends it on its way.

The colours themselves are significant and honour the gods of nature.
Each colour represents an element and they are flown in a prescribed order: blue for Sky; white for Air or clouds; red for Fire; green for Water and yellow for Earth.

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 22:01:41 »
Great series. Congratulations!
Stany

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 03:47:00 »
Ann,

Thank you for informative text and beautiful photographs. I thorough enjoyed the entire piece.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2017, 07:51:59 »
David and Stany:

I am so pleased that you enjoyed these photographs.

Here are some more landscapes from that beautiful place.

More by good luck than anything else, we were there late in Autumn when the leaves were turning colour and, coupled with the intense blues and emeralds of the lakes, the colour combinations were fairly dramatic.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2017, 18:00:05 »
I am very happy, dear Ann, to see you among us. Thank you for posting and inspiring.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2017, 22:16:29 »
Frank:

And I am very happy to be back among  some very special friends who I have been missing for far too long!

Sometimes a sad story has a very happy ending.

;D