Author Topic: Nikon Europe (UK) Service and Support  (Read 3017 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon Europe (UK) Service and Support
« on: August 14, 2017, 20:06:01 »
I am having a problem with the rear LCD of my AW1 (the screen does not turn on, all else works).
I have started by trying to look on the Nikon website, trying to find a contact to ask whether it is a serviceable item.

First I went to the repair centre http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/service_support/repair_centre/main_repair_centre.page?
Then I clicked on Contact Us - Find more http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/service_support/repair_centre/repair_contact_us.page?ID=templatedata/en_GB/taggable_content/data/repair_contact_us
Then "ask a Question" https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/ask
Clicking on the link I come to a screen where I was asked to log in (screenshot).
After this I get an error message (second screenshot below). This has been happening consistently for the last week or two.
Any suggestions as to why and how this problem can be overcome?

On a related note, any idea if the screen of the AW1 is serviceable for a reasonable cost?
Simone Tomasi

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Nikon Europe (UK) Service and Support
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 20:14:45 »
Had similar problems with the 1 V1 cleaning the sensor next to the eyepiece helped, then later on the problem re-occurred, the 10-30mm caused  problems, but these were strictly related to the mechanics of the lens, mounting the 18,5mm proved this.

jpgrahn

• NG Member
  • -
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:53:19 »
I have recently, this week, been in contact with Nikon support in Sweden.
No problems with logging on to my account.

/Johan
Johan Grahn

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:06:38 »
I should add that I can log onto my account, see my stored cameras, etc.
It is just the contact form that does not work.
Is that the same for others? It would be nice if someone could check.
Simone Tomasi

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:12:07 »
I use the same method as Fons on our V1s, dust gets into the slot, and then the camera thinks that your eye is at the EVF.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:32:05 »
AW-1 is an LCD-only mirrorless camera.  So, the reason for the problem Simone is experiencing (with the camera!) would be different...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:40:24 »
AW-1 is an LCD-only mirrorless camera.  So, the reason for the problem Simone is experiencing (with the camera!) would be different...

What Akira says is correct.
The LCD is the only way to control the camera and needs replacing.
With Nikon 1 being silently killed this might be a problem so I would like to try this (if it does not cost too much) while there may still be spare parts available.
Comments and suggestions on this welcome. I should add that I checked the website of Fixation UK and they don't seem to service Nikon 1 cameras, but maybe I should email them.

On the other hand, the website problem is a completely different issue and that was the main focus of this topic.
Simone Tomasi

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:08:30 »
Maybe a long shot but I'd try clearing the cache for your browser then try reloading the page. Do be careful not to clear anything but the cache, you might accidentally clear stored logons and passwords or history you wanted to keep.

There might be a corrupted page or forum stored in your cache or it might be a problem at the Nikon site.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 13:09:04 »
Maybe a long shot but I'd try clearing the cache for your browser then try reloading the page. Do be careful not to clear anything but the cache, you might accidentally clear stored logons and passwords or history you wanted to keep.

There might be a corrupted page or forum stored in your cache or it might be a problem at the Nikon site.

Dave

Good suggestion but I get the same error message on another computer (at work), which I had not used before to access this web page.
Simone Tomasi

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 13:38:47 »
When was the last time you logged before this time?

Nikon Europe/UK have made some changes and upgraded their website sometime last year Oct 2016 and each member was requested to update his profile at the time.

Simply drop them an email or online chat and they will help you reconnect.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_contact_information?configured=1&ctry=&lang=

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 13:54:13 »

Nikon Europe/UK have made some changes and upgraded their website sometime last year Oct 2016 and each member was requested to update his profile at the time.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_contact_information?configured=1&ctry=&lang=

I was not aware of that, thank you for that.
I have not accessed my account for years, but when I did a few days ago I was able to add my AW1 to the list of cameras I own (or owned, I should say. My D200 and D700 were still registered, even though I sold them years ago. I forgot to unregister them, my bad...).
So maybe all is fine with my account...
Simone Tomasi

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 14:09:01 »

Follow up: Using your link I have been able to ask the question about the LCD replacement. Thank you!
There must have been something wrong with the link I was using from that page. Otherwise I cannot explain.
Anyhow, the question to Nikon Support has been sent and hopefully they will let me know whether the repair is offered and if it is economically sensible.
Simone Tomasi

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 16:36:01 »
Follow up: Using your link I have been able to ask the question about the LCD replacement. Thank you!
There must have been something wrong with the link I was using from that page. Otherwise I cannot explain.
Anyhow, the question to Nikon Support has been sent and hopefully they will let me know whether the repair is offered and if it is economically sensible.

You're welcome.

Let us know how you get along.