Author Topic: Ann Shelbourne and Fotozones  (Read 9979 times)

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Ann Shelbourne and Fotozones
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 12:00:23 »
On the other side of that, if one has been banned then why would they want to leave their work up to enhance the website that banned them?

Quite so, but the fact is that in most countries you have no right to un-publish your work - to have it removed from a website once you have uploaded it, eg.  It is the same as sending someone a letter: the sender owns the copyright, but the recipient owns the piece of paper, and the sender can't demand that the piece of paper be returned or prevent it being publicly displayed. 

The moral of the story is to read the T&Cs of websites carefully, because some them give the owners of the site control of your content.  NikonGear, to its eternal credit, does not, but when you use dpreview you agree that: 

"With respect to comments or other text-based content you submit or make available for inclusion, you grant us a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable and fully sublicensable [emphasis added] right to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform, translate, create derivative works from and publicly display such content throughout the world in any medium. With respect to photographic content that you submit or make available for inclusion, you grant us a nonexclusive, royalty-free right to use, distribute, reproduce, publicly perform, and to publicly display such content on the Web Site or any of our affiliates' web sites or mobile applications [emphasis added]." 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 12:31:00 »
Welcome to NikonGear Ann, what a surprise :) Congratulations on the D5!
Erik Lund

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 13:43:15 »
Jakov and Erik:

Thank you!

Yes that D5 is a wild machine!
Even before mine was actually delivered, the published specs. were so exciting that they prompted me to book flights to the jungles of Borneo and the night-time streets of Singapore to see if a D5 would really prove to be the King of the Night.

I flew out to meet up with a delightful girl from Singapore (who I had previously "met" only through the Internet) and we enjoyed some incredible adventures and photography together: first in Borneo and then later in Singapore where she showed me round from an insider's view-point and took me to places which I could never have found on my own.

Pictures will follow during the next few weeks!

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 13:57:40 »
Ann!
Nice to hear your special voice again. Love to listen to and see your experiences in the jungle.
Does the ultrasound perhaps show the little brother to be a D850 or is it kind of fuzzy?

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 14:28:05 »
Still kind of fuzzy  . . .

:)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 15:00:10 »
Ann, I'll love to continue to see your work now here on NG
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 15:08:17 »
Ann, good to see you continue here, and more pictures will come.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 15:36:07 »
Fons and Armando:

Yes, life goes on; and photographs still beg to be taken; so it is great to know that you both are here where we can share these things.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 19:18:16 »
When I decided to go walk about from Photo.net I changed the photos in my gallery to thumbnails. I didn't worry about photos uploaded to threads. I was later locked out. That was back in 2006.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 20:49:20 »
Without referring to any specific events recent or distant, as an admin/boffin, I want to say that it is quite destructive to coherency of topics and threads to have to remove a particular member's inter-topic posts and images. Removing topics started by a member is not so difficult and causes less harm to the site.

So when a person does a walk-out after some kind of disagreement on a forum, perhaps they could consider leaving their inter-topic posts and images intact for the friends left behind. There must be a very very good legal reason to ask for admin to remove your content. Such reasons exist, and again I am not referring to any specific recent or distant events.

I will tell you also that across the web world, we admins often learn about people who trash forums. I'm sure nobody wants a "bad" reputation following them around the photo forums.

Please no scorched earth. Remember your forum friends. Negotiate with admins first. Thank you.  ;D

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 22:27:12 »
The worst I've seen was a guy I liked, a mod, who deleted several years of a Flickr forum: The Dissident Cafe. What was lost was never recovered. He also deleted as many members as he could. He failed to destroy the group but tried.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:10 »
Welcome to NG, Ann.

Viv

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2017, 12:12:55 »
It's good to be back among old friends.

I can assure you that I had a very good reason to take the action which I did at Fotozones where the true sequence of the events which necessitated the issuance of a DCMA have been seriously distorted and obfuscated.

Anyone who is concerned about the truth of what really happened is welcome to contact me privately by email.

Ann

Ann, It's so good to see you here. You continue to be denigrated in THE OTHER PLACE, but that does not surprise me.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2017, 13:15:41 »
Mongo was somewhat shocked at the news. He has much admired and respected Ann's work, experience and character. As the thread progressed, it was very, very good to see Ann respond (whatever the circumstances may be) at least to let us know she is OK and most delightfully, now a member here with us. The warmest possible welcome to you Ann. You have been missed.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2017, 19:34:18 »
Welcome back !

Sorry all to be a bit silent. My Df is being repaired and I feel dull :(
Airy Magnien