Author Topic: Ann Shelbourne and Fotozones  (Read 10093 times)

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
Ann Shelbourne and Fotozones
« on: August 14, 2017, 09:46:13 »
Dallas Dahms, administrator and earlier partner to Bjørn Rørslett has announced that Ann Shelbourne's material has been removed from fotozones.com, a one time host for Nikongear.

https://www.fotozones.com/live/index.php?/forums/topic/62615-dmca-ann-shelbourne/

This was evidently done after a US legal DMCA notice. Dallas works out of South Africa, Ann out of USA.
This anouncement gives many thoughts, personal and legal.
I earlier hoped that Ann would follow others to Nikongear as I liked to read and view her posts.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Ann Shelbourne and Fotozones
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:23:20 »
I feel very sorry to know that.  This incident would suggest that the same thing can happen to any photography fora of similar kind at any time...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:47:36 »
As long as people do leave by their own free will, nothing is wrong. No idea of what occurred prior to this event though.

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 14:01:39 »
You can't use a DMCA take-down notice to demand a site remove material you yourself have put there. 

A DMCA take-down notice requires an assertion that the availability of the material on the site infringes copyright, which it obviously does not if you put it there yourself. 

Fanie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 14:21:27 »
I think it can really screw up any thread where a person has posted/commented and then the content removed?
Fanie du Plessis
Pretoria,  South Africa

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 16:40:23 »
I think it can really screw up any thread where a person has posted/commented and then the content removed?

That also happens accidentally. I am one of those persons who is quite sloppy with ensuring photos remain at the right place. Upload might help but that would complicate the situation if people want to remove photos on purpose.   I do believe everyone is entitled to remove photos for whatever reason. I do not view this as betrayal or disrespect to those who own and run the site (which, IMHOl deserves lots of credits for the effort, passion and money it takes)
Peter

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 17:06:23 »
That also happens accidentally. I am one of those persons who is quite sloppy with ensuring photos remain at the right place.

I've noticed that photos on Flickr that are replaced cause a error on a Flickr and other forums. If I make a minor change and upload a replacement the file name at Flickr changes so every place I post the photo by a previous file name is effected with a missing photo error. I have to know every forum and thread and correct the missing photo error manually or refrain from making minor changes and uploading a replacement to Flickr. 

For forums other than those on Flickr such as this forum there is the possibility that Flickr may stop allowing links to other sites as Photo Bucket did recently.

I'm so pressed for time lately that I haven't thought this out. I feel a need to rethink how I photos to forums as I mostly post from Flickr.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 18:14:54 »
As long as people do leave by their own free will, nothing is wrong. No idea of what occurred prior to this event though.

Bingo! There is more to this than has been revealed. I have not heard Ann's side, so it's a one sided story as things stand.
Carl

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 22:08:38 »
Gosh, there's a sense of deja vu reading this.
The role of website administrator must be thankless, but I've seen too many things like this with Dallas to be surprised.

Other than Ann was a loyal supporter of the old site.

What a shame for all concerned :(

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 22:35:22 »
Gosh, there's a sense of deja vu reading this.
The role of website administrator must be thankless, but I've seen too many things like this with Dallas to be surprised.

Other than Ann was a loyal supporter of the old site.

What a shame for all concerned :(

Agreed, but I also agree with Les, I think the DMCA angle is a red herring. On the other side of that, if one has been banned then why would they want to leave their work up to enhance the website that banned them? Not bloody likely!  ;)
Carl

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 23:40:20 »
It's good to be back among old friends.

I can assure you that I had a very good reason to take the action which I did at Fotozones where the true sequence of the events which necessitated the issuance of a DCMA have been seriously distorted and obfuscated.

Anyone who is concerned about the truth of what really happened is welcome to contact me privately by email.

Ann

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 23:49:38 »
Let the past be past. Look forwards for new horizons.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 00:15:30 »
Welcome here, Ann, I look forward to continuing to learn from you.
Anthony Macaulay

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 00:17:45 »
It's good to be back among old friends.

Ann
Hi Ann,

Welcome to NikonGear 2.0, good to have you finally on board :)

Still wielding those twin D3s shooters?
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 00:37:47 »
Hi Ann,

Welcome to NikonGear 2.0, good to have you finally on board :)

Still wielding those twin D3s shooters?

Rumor has it that Ann is using D5 now ;-).

Great to "have her back"! We're lucky to have so many skilled photographers among us here. Looking forward to learn from you all!