Author Topic: Updated D850 specs  (Read 19085 times)

chambeshi

Re: Updated D850 specs
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 16:18:44 »
I found focus tuning on my D500 gives consistent readings (with usual normal distribution of variation) with 200 f2G VRII and then with TC14 and then TC2. Also 300 f2G VRII with & without TC14 is consistent, but AF finetuning failed to even work with 300 + TC2 III.

This is despite stabilizing the tripod as much as possible (adding ballast) with Mirror Up and remote release et al

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 18:48:58 »

How stable can you keep the focus point over the target? With long Nikkors especially those launched in the first decade of the 2000s have quite flexible collars and this could affect the precision of the auto fine tune as the mirror comes down there is no doubt some vibration.

I use a two point clamp that secures the lens and cam. And it is rock solid. I have perfected the approach and have reliably reproduced results for myself and others on a regular basis. auto never worked.

Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 19:18:36 »

I use a two point clamp that secures the lens and cam. And it is rock solid. I have perfected the approach and have reliably reproduced results for myself and others on a regular basis. auto never worked.

Can you say more or show us a photo of the clamp or where we could get one? Thanks.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 22:33:12 »
Built-in focus stacking: up to 300 pictures with up to 10 levels of focusing steps (still need external software)
I wonder if that is achieved by moving the sensor forward and back to move the focus plane? That would be a very efficient way of doing it. If the sensor was mounted on a stepper motor the position could be controlled very precisely and quickly, and focusing could be done without having to refocus the lens which could cause vibrations or a slight shift in framing. The amount of travel required would be very small, even 1mm would be sufficient for most macro subjects. We already have sensors which move to shake off dust and for image stabilisation, so why not?

This technology could also be very useful for manual focusing - one could focus manually on a subject, but focusing might be a shade off, the camera could automatically refine the focus for the sharpest image.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 22:46:53 »
I wonder if that is achieved by moving the sensor forward and back to move the focus plane? That would be a very efficient way of doing it. If the sensor was mounted on a stepper motor the position could be controlled very precisely and quickly, and focusing could be done without having to refocus the lens which could cause vibrations or a slight shift in framing. The amount of travel required would be very small, even 1mm would be sufficient for most macro subjects. We already have sensors which move to shake off dust and for image stabilisation, so why not?

This technology could also be very useful for manual focusing - one could focus manually on a subject, but focusing might be a shade off, the camera could automatically refine the focus for the sharpest image.

That's not likely. What it means, IMO, is that with Nikon AF lenses, which most I don't care for, you can automatically take stepped layers, as described. What lenses would anyone use, the 105mm Macro?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 23:03:57 »
I expect you are right Michael. The lenses most likely used are the AFS 60mm and 105mm Micro Nikkors as you said - not sure how well this approach would work for older screw-drive macro lenses.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 09:58:58 »
I will follow the 2017 Photokina conference and exhibition with great interest.

Let us all hope that the D850 is showcased at Photokina and that following this, rumours about what features the camera will and will not have will give way to facts!
Hugh Gunn

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 13:14:10 »
Most of my lenses are between 20mm and 200mm so my auto fine tune experience is mostly with AF-S Nikkors (f/1.4, f/1.8, f/2 and 2.8 ) in that range. It's difficult to know why it won't work properly with long focal lengths.

One issue may be distance.  Nikon says that "AF fine-tuning should be performed at the focus distance at which the lens is normally used; fine-tuning performed at short focus distances may be less effective with distant subjects and vice versa."  A 600mm lens has a horizontal AoV of 3.4 degrees on FX and 2.2 degrees on DX, so you get a 1m horizontal field of view at 17m on FX and 26m on DX. 

I wonder how many people are fine tuning their lenses at much shorter distances.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 18:26:14 »
Enough of this! Does Nikon need an ambassador who is only mediocre but most sincere?
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 18:46:28 »
I will follow the 2017 Photokina conference and exhibition with great interest.

Let us all hope that the D850 is showcased at Photokina and that following this, rumours about what features the camera will and will not have will give way to facts!

Photokina 2017 ??? To my best knowledge.the next one is on 26-29 September 2018 ....
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 20:14:58 »
Photokina 2017 ??? To my best knowledge.the next one is on 26-29 September 2018 ....
Correct, but after that one they'll change to a yearly event  :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 20:25:02 »
One thing Nikon is poor at is to synchronize the timing of the release of new products with major events such as Photokina or CP+.  So, you shouldn't have to wait that long to see the real D850.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 20:55:59 »
One thing Nikon is poor at is to synchronize the timing of the release of new products with major events such as Photokina or CP+.  So, you shouldn't have to wait that long to see the real D850.  :D

That was discussed here in the Nikon 100th anniversary thread, with many people saying that they think Nikon should not coordinate product release notices with such events, but issue those release notices as soon as possible. Of course, not everyone agrees.
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 22:04:31 »
That was discussed here in the Nikon 100th anniversary thread, with many people saying that they think Nikon should not coordinate product release notices with such events, but issue those release notices as soon as possible. Of course, not everyone agrees.

I haven't followed that discussion.  Nikon is not good at even controlling the timing.  This exceptional announcement of the "development" of D850 rather proves that.  I don't think they themselves would know when they can release the real thing.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira