Author Topic: Updated D850 specs  (Read 19077 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Updated D850 specs
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 01:35:00 »
I believe the 9,999 frame number limit is due to old file naming standards still in use.

I think the old file naming standard is still there in a way. I've wondered if when I add a prefix to the original name if that matters anymore. I just live with the repeating filenames as the dates separate the duplicates and triplicates. I just don't like it. For example this... D800_DSC1272.NEF ...is the third file with this name on my computer. I've thought of adding a couple of digits to the name with a file naming batch program but never done it.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 06:07:18 »
I've thought of adding a couple of digits to the name with a file naming batch program but never done it.

We're steering this thread off topic, but Capture One, Bridge, & Lightroom all have pretty powerful renaming options, as I'm sure most RAW converters do. Depending on how you organize your photos it might just take a few minutes to show images by camera/D800, sort them by capture time, and batch rename as you see fit. Then keep the sequence going as you import new photos. Might even be able to make a template that automatically renames them. Or name them by date and sequence so you never have duplicates.

chambeshi

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 07:46:59 »
Latest consolidation of D850 specificatins on NR:

45.75MP full frame CMOS sensor
New and improved version of SnapBridge
No built-in GPS
Tiltable LCD (3.2", 2.36 million dots)
Fully functional touchscreen: supports touch AF, touch shutter and touch menu
Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
AF system from the D5 (153 points, 130% frame coverage compared to the D810, all AF points @ -3EV,  middle/center crosshair sensor @-4EV)
New smaller AF point
No built-in flash
Back illuminated buttons
Joystick selector
Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
8K time-lapse video capabilities
4k UHD video in FX format (with no crop)
No EVF or hybrid viewfinder
Slo-mo full HD 120fps video
The SD slot will support UHS-II
Improved LiveView split-screen display
Improved silent shooting mode: fully-silent, no-sound electronic shutter in live view (no mechanical movement, can shoot up to 30fps @ 8MP with the electronic shutter)
Improved battery life
Lighter than the D810
Native ISO range: 64-25,600
ISO 64 extendable down to ISO 32 (Lo1 = 32, Hi 2 = 108,400)
7fps without grip, 9fps with grip (MB-D18a battery grip)
51 images raw buffer at 14-bit RAW
0.75x optical viewfinder (largest ever on a Nikon FX cameras)
180k RGB meter
No AA filter
Supports for Nikon wireless trigger WT-7
Fully-silent, no-sound electronic shutter in live view (6 fps silent shooting)
Built-in focus stacking: up to 300 pictures with up to 10 levels of focusing steps (still need external software)
Price will be CNY 23,999 or around $3,600 (source: Chinese forum)
Announcement date could be August 16th
RAW sizes: small, medium, large
New 1:1 mode
New natural light AWB

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/12/nikon-d850-specifications-recap.aspx/#ixzz4pW7cPicw

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 14:24:30 »
No auto focustune
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 14:53:36 »
How do you deduce that it has no auto AF fine tune? Where is that stated?

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 16:02:34 »
How do you deduce that it has no auto AF fine tune? Where is that stated?

good point.. should have written - "auto focustune has not been stated"

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 16:10:27 »
It would be hard to believe that auto AF fine tune would be slipped off form a camera withe such a dense sensor.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 16:28:11 »
It would be hard to believe that auto AF fine tune would be slipped off form a camera withe such a dense sensor.

it was leaked for the D5 and then it turned out to be obscured and work very badly... i cannot use it to any kind of positive result.

but i am hopeful that some time in the future will provide and automatic AF fine tune function.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 17:01:32 »
I've had excellent results from using auto AF fine tune on my lenses. Two exceptions: with 105/1.4 the auto function yielded a result that was five points off from what works well in practice (all other primes that I've used the auto fine tune on yielded the result that I use in the real world).

With the 70-200/2.8 FL the results were fine (I do get different values for different focal lengths, which I then average)  also combined with TC-14E III. However the auto function failed repeatedly when attempted with the 70-200 FL + TC-20E III. I fine tuned that using conventional methods. Now that I think about it the 300 PF + 2X auto fine tune also failed, so maybe it's the TC.

In my experience it works well with most fast prime lenses but if the maximum aperture is very small or light level low, it can fail. However, overall it has been a big time saver for me. Of course I hope that it is implemented and works even better on the D850.

I should probably try the 105/1,4 again using a longer distance.

I don't know why your experience is different; maybe different lenses and test environment?

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 17:43:20 »
Ilkka, I had the same problem: the 70-200 mm f/2.8E FL with the TC20-E III had to be manually tuned.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 17:43:38 »
I haven't done the auto AF tune myself, but so far as I understand, it calibrates the lens only in the live view mode.  I wondered how the discrepancy between the live view AF and AF sensor can be compensated.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 18:47:32 »
First you focus the lens in live view and activate auto fine tune. The camera then brings down the mirror and takes a reading with the AF sensor and comes up with a correction which is stored in the fine tune table. I check out the resulting value, mark it in a notebook and repeat the procedure a few times and after averaging the results I store the mean in the camera and write it down in my notes. Then I test it in real world use.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 18:59:58 »
First you focus the lens in live view and activate auto fine tune. The camera then brings down the mirror and takes a reading with the AF sensor and comes up with a correction which is stored in the fine tune table. I check out the resulting value, mark it in a notebook and repeat the procedure a few times and after averaging the results I store the mean in the camera and write it down in my notes. Then I test it in real world use.

Illka, thanks for the details.  I didn't know the function switches the camera to the OVF mode.

According to my experiences of having my lenses at the Nikon service, the neutral position of the supersonic wave motor needs periodical mechanical calibration, which has to be done at the service.  The discrepancy of the experiences of the effect of automatic lens calibration function seems to be related to that.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 13:56:09 »
I've had excellent results from using auto AF fine tune on my lenses. Two exceptions: 

i am glad your experience is better than mine.. however, i require focus tuning for big glass 600/4 & 500/4 since the DoF is very shallow i can miss critical focus.. especially in bird photography

it takes me 30-45min/lens+tc+cam to manual focus tune using lens align w/software taking 4-5 shots at each focus increment.  the times i have checked my result using the Auto Fine Tune have showed drastically different results in some cases in the wrong direction!.. consequently i don't waste my time with trying it only longer.. i would love to have a nice simple way to do it using the Auto function but unfortunately the current capability is not mature enough for my requirements.

i don't bother focus tuning less than 200mm focal lengths.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 15:00:51 »
Most of my lenses are between 20mm and 200mm so my auto fine tune experience is mostly with AF-S Nikkors (f/1.4, f/1.8, f/2 and 2.8 ) in that range. It's difficult to know why it won't work properly with long focal lengths. Perhaps some feedback to Nikon about the problem would help, with as much detail as possible.

How stable can you keep the focus point over the target? With long Nikkors especially those launched in the first decade of the 2000s have quite flexible collars and this could affect the precision of the auto fine tune as the mirror comes down there is no doubt some vibration.