Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 5004 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Re: Cycling
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 17:02:20 »
I should have thought to use another name that included the other triathlon sports. Oh well, I include them anyway. These are from Sunday's Grand Final for Age Group 30-34 in Rotterdam. The winning time was an unbelievable 1 hour and 56 minutes which is only 3 minutes slower than the wining time of the professionals on Saturday. In all fairness, I should say the pros had to deal with wet roads. However, it remains an impressive achievement to swim 1,5km, bike 40km and run 10km in that time.

An image-heavy impression:

Triathlon Zondag

Peter

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 17:31:44 »
That second image is simply stunning!!

A small DOF is pleasing to the eye but might place the subject out of context, the reflection of the Erasmus bridge in his helmet puts him right back into his arena however  :)

Friend of mine competed in the senior class but got his shoulder dislocated early on while swimming, one year of intense training and sacrifice down the drain in the first 250 meters.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 18:26:00 »
Peter, as much as I like the "Rotterdam" serie for its dynamics, color, composition, I don't like at all the first serie: some are unsharp, underexposed, not so good post-processing. In other words, the first one lacks everything what the makes the the latter one so good; one could think it isn't the same photographer.

With regard to Daniel's serie: a little bit to clean; movement is missing. Was a flash used ?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 19:05:33 »
That second image is simply stunning!!

A small DOF is pleasing to the eye but might place the subject out of context, the reflection of the Erasmus bridge in his helmet puts him right back into his arena however  :)

Friend of mine competed in the senior class but got his shoulder dislocated early on while swimming, one year of intense training and sacrifice down the drain in the first 250 meters.

I am sorry to hear that Jan Anne. That must have been tough for him. I hope he is doing better now.
Thank you for your kind words.

Peter, as much as I like the "Rotterdam" serie for its dynamics, color, composition, I don't like at all the first serie: some are unsharp, underexposed, not so good post-processing. In other words, the first one lacks everything what the makes the the latter one so good; one could think it isn't the same photographer.

With regard to Daniel's serie: a little bit to clean; movement is missing. Was a flash used ?

I appreciate your observations. Thank you. But yes, it's the same photographer. Circumstances were qauite different during the first series, it had rained heavily and the sun was now shining, so I thought to do something with that. I am also trying to deviate from the standard panning shots by using other settings or technique. I'd like to play rather to find the perfect sharp panning photo. Sometimes I like an impressionist result. However, I do realize that it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Another difference is that I used the m43 basee PEN-F for the first series ans the D750 and D810 for the second,

BTW: there is no or hardly any PP involved. I usually limit PP to highlights, shadows, and tone curve (and sometimes clarity/vibrance). Shots made at the Erasmus bridge (second series) are an exception because of the backlight. I overexposed and tweaked afterwards to get the effect I wanted. I admit it was an experiment.
Peter