Author Topic: In Praise of the APO-El Nikkor 105mm  (Read 3895 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
In Praise of the APO-El Nikkor 105mm
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:25:24 »
In Praise of the APO-El Nikkor 105mm

I cannot say enough about the fine qualities of the APO-Nikkor 105mm enlarger lens. I would not even think of using a lens as slow as the APO-El Nikkor (f/5.6), but I have no problem using this lens and I do almost every day. It is that good. In fact, the more I use it, the more I want to use it. It has a style all its own, one that calls out for me to try this, that, and then some other thing with it.

The lens is very sharp, but in a very organic way that does not appear as cold or cut and dried. Its color is superb, perhaps because it is so very well corrected. And you don’t want to confuse with its younger brother the APO-El Nikkor 105mm lens that is not APO (apochromatic). They are not in the same ballpark.

Perhaps every photographer finds one lens that just fits them to a “T” and this may be mine. It’s not that I don’t have (and love!) many other lenses, but for some reason this little gem is undeniable. And I have to use it on a bellows, with what that entails, so it’s not a slam-dunk.

And while I love the Zeiss Otus lenses, the Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar and on and on, I’ve yet to find a more compelling lens than the APO-El Nikkor 105mm. And I also took the time (years) to seek out its big brother the APO-El Nikkor 210mm lens and found one. It is just a much larger and heavier version of the APO-105mm. There is nothing better about the 210 than the 105mm. I decided to sell it because of its bulk, but I wish I had a backup copy of my APO-El Nikkor 105mm.

Photographers speak of certain lenses having a unique “style.” IMO, the legendary Noct Nikkor is one of those or the Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar. The APO-El Nikkor 105mm is one of those special lenses. I can’t put my finger on what makes this lens’s style so exceptional, but there it is. Perhaps one of you out there who have used this lens can explain it to me.

And it is so flexible. In fact, this lens caused me to get a much longer rail (and bellows) for my Cambo Mini-Actus, so that could pull back and get closer.

Here is a shot I took yesterday with the Nikon D810, using the APO-El Nikkor 105mm
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

beryllium10

• NG Member
Re: In Praise of the El Nikkor 105mm APO
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:53:47 »
Another magnificent photo. There's little more to say ...

I agree with you about the way that detail is precisely and beautifully rendered without looking "sharp".

Splendid! 

John

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:09:09 »
Michael, I see why you praise the El Nikkor 105 APO.
Your skills should be equally praised.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:42:18 »
The light is this image is quite exquisite and very well captured!
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:42:35 »
I love EL-Nikkors!!!  :o :o :o

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 10:44:35 »
I love EL-Nikkors!!!  :o :o :o

It is not an EL-Nikkor, it is an APO EL-Nikkor, world of a difference....
formerly known as kds315

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 10:45:45 »
Wonderful work Michael, this lens really shines in your hands!
Happy to also own one... ;-)

PS: ehemm, if you would kindly write it "Apo-EL-NIKKOR" it would help people not to get confused about it, as the way you write it, it reads as if it is just an EL-NIKKOR that you found out being "APO". So why not just stick to the way Nikon engraved it to its front rim and avoid any such confusion as it just happened above?? ;-)
formerly known as kds315

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 12:59:09 »
Wonderful work Michael, this lens really shines in your hands!
Happy to also own one... ;-)

PS: ehemm, if you would kindly write it "Apo-EL-NIKKOR" it would help people not to get confused about it, as the way you write it, it reads as if it is just an EL-NIKKOR that you found out being "APO". So why not just stick to the way Nikon engraved it to its front rim and avoid any such confusion as it just happened above?? ;-)

I get it. I could do that.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 19:32:54 »
I get it. I could do that.

Thanks! Will help others... :-)
formerly known as kds315

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:46 »
The lens is very sharp, but in a very organic way that does not appear as cold or cut and dried.

I agree.  I would say that this lens, in your hands, has a richness that few lens have.  Well done. 
Frederick V. Ramsey

typestar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 11:40:43 »
Michael,

nice to read (again) your praise of the APO-EL-Nikkor 105 mm,
(which is the lens you bought from me years ago now incl. custom lens-shade)

The colour-rendition and look and feel of this famous tiny lens
helps you to bring out your fantastic images --  its allways the photographer

If you find the time, perhaps you can show us comparisons (for bokeh and colour-rendition)
of the Apo-EL-Nikkor vs. the Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125 mm /f2.5

Best wishes,

Christian

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 12:15:38 »
Michael,

nice to read (again) your praise of the APO-EL-Nikkor 105 mm,
(which is the lens you bought from me years ago now incl. custom lens-shade)

The colour-rendition and look and feel of this famous tiny lens
helps you to bring out your fantastic images --  its allways the photographer

If you find the time, perhaps you can show us comparisons (for bokeh and colour-rendition)
of the Apo-EL-Nikkor vs. the Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125 mm /f2.5

Best wishes,

Christian

Thanks Christian. I may not have time or inclination to do that comparison just now, but I have published many photos using both of these fine lenses. The CV-125 is mounted on the camera, like any other lens, while the APO-El-Nikkor 105mm must use a bellows to get the most out of it. Both of these lenses have a unique character. I tend to use the APO-El Nikkor because I especially like it and also like to use the Tilt movements of a bellows with that lense.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 14:08:20 »
I love the lighting and atmosphere captured in this image, needless to say about the sharpness.

As you would know, you can change the title the title of the thread by editing your initial post.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
Re: In Praise of the APO-El Nikkor 105mm
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 23:06:49 »
Keep coming back, in awe of these amazing image(s) you show using this marvel of a lens.
Need to get mine to work it seems... ;-)
formerly known as kds315

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: In Praise of the APO-El Nikkor 105mm
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 00:37:40 »
Michael, thanks for editing the title!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira