Author Topic: My new Lx100  (Read 2309 times)

Arild

• n
  • NG Member
My new Lx100
« on: August 02, 2017, 16:40:10 »
Just got my self a Pana LX100. For them occasions my F750 w 24-120 is a tad bulky, like dogwalking.

This is one of my very first shot with it. Something is off, or what?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: My new Lx100
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 20:21:40 »
The horizon is off as show by the water which should be level. The photograph can be straitened in post.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:37:00 »
Most Nikon cameras have artificial horizon functions/options in them nowdays, including indicators in the eye level viewfinder, which can be a great aid to getting horizontals and verticals correct in camera. 

I am not sure whether Panasonic provides such functions in the LX-100, but it might be useful to you if they do.  My Olympus E-M1 Mk 1 also has these functions (and the E-M5 Mk 2 which I handled yesterday has them as well).

Confession:  I have a very bad tendency to have the right side of the camera down a bit when hand holding - due to a subconsious imbalance when releasing the shutter - which I am overcoming with the aid of the viewfinder level indicators that the artificial horizon option provides.

The horizon is off as show by the water which should be level. The photograph can be straitened in post.
Hugh Gunn

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 06:30:39 »
Looks fine in bright light. Darker conditions will be  a more difficult test.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 16:50:04 »
The distant shoreline, road, etc do look skewed down to the right. However, I notice that the lamp-post and bridge-post reflections at left are vertically aligned, which requires the reflecting water to be horizontal.  I think the photo is tilted right, but the (wide-angle) lens must have some pincushion distortion.  When horizontally aligned, vertical objects near the edges of the frame will radiate outwards slightly.
Cheers, John

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 17:13:03 »
The camera is pointing down slightly, and tilted to the left. Both aspects can be corrected later, but always better to minimise such issues, if they are felt important, in the actual capture.

Arild

• n
  • NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 18:14:27 »
Its my Dystonia. Its me thats askew :-)

Its a level inside the EVF of the LX100, it is yellow, but it flashes green when the horizon is straight
So I have to excuse to make unlewel photos

How I correct that properly in my Photoshop CC is still something I work on.

With my D750 I mostly get the horizon ok, because of the heft of that camera. The LX100 is way to small and light I have trouble in holding it properly :)

Heres another photo taken today with my LX100;

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 18:44:22 »
Its my Dystonia. Its me thats askew :-)

You are not the only one.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!