Author Topic: The magic of Skye - images added.  (Read 3426 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
The magic of Skye - images added.
« on: August 02, 2017, 01:41:19 »
Th Isle of Skye undoubtedly has some magic and several NG members have expressed an interest, both on the forum and to me privately. One of my current projects is about the Coulins, Skye's major mountain range, where I think the magic has its origin. So I'm posting some images concerning winter and climbing in the Coulins. Nearly all date from the early-mid '70s and were shot on Kodachrome film, using Nikon FE and FE2 cameras. One was shot with a Hasselblad and one with a Pentax 67 (these, using Fuji Provia film).

I will follow up later with some "landscapey"-type images.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: The magic of Skye
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 13:43:45 »
Dave, these are lovely images!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 14:42:07 »
Magnificent!

I am hoping to do some of the easiest of the Black Cuilin when I go with some friends next April.
A bit later than our usual winter Highlands, unless some late snow comes I expect them to be show-free by then.
In what time of the year did you take these photographs?

PS: It is hard to believe, looking at these pictures, that none of these peaks reaches 1000m of altitude!
Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:18:13 »
Just looked up Isle of Skye in Wiki.  The island seems to be full of wonder both in terms of the history and the landscape.

Marvelous scans, as always.  Keep posting, please!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 05:12:11 »
So true Akira - magnificent indeed.  Thanks David for letting us peak into your archives - most enjoyable.  Height is certainly no indicator of ruggedness with these mountains.

I am assuming from some of the metadata associated with these images that you used your D800 and a copy stand of some kind to digitise them.  Certainly has worked well for you/us here.

I think that just about every kid that has grown up in one of the current, or even former, British Commonwealth countries ended up having to learn and sing the Skye boat song, although in my final years of high school our version had been reengineered by our creative lads to include some very rude and naughty lines! Bonny Prince Charlie was not held in universal esteem it seems.

Just looked up Isle of Skye in Wiki.  The island seems to be full of wonder both in terms of the history and the landscape.

Marvelous scans, as always.  Keep posting, please!
Hugh Gunn

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:27:29 »
Outstanding series
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:44:53 »
Thank you Jakov, Simone, Akira, Hugh and Armando for your kind comments - much appreciated.

Hugh - yes, I built a simple copy-stand and have been using the D800, 50m f1.8 and various close-up attachments to make these copies. My rather ancient Polaroid film-scanner has become extremely noisy and I can no longer get it serviced or repaired anywhere in Europe. And of course you are right about "Bonnie Price Charlie" who turned and ran when the going got tough.

Simone - several expeditions are represented in the series, all taking place between Feb and April of various years.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:51:59 »
Very nice Dave,
The detail in #9 is really wild from a scan
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 11:05:04 »
Very nice Dave,
The detail in #9 is really wild from a scan.

Thanks, Tom. That image is the one which was shot on Pentax 67 and the scan was made before my film-scanner went bad.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 23:29:50 »
The Coulins main ridge can be seen from many parts of Skye, and it's quite a large island. Here are a few -

1. From beneath The Storr in ne. Skye
2. From near Dunvegan, nw. Skye
3. The north-east peaks from Bruach na Frithe
4. Blaven and Clach Glas from the main ridge
5. Sunset over the island of Rum, from Sgurr Dearg
6. The Coulins from Glen Brittle
7. The Coulins from sw. Skye
8. The crofting township of Tarskavaig in summer
9. Tarskavaig in winter
10. Sunset over Skye from the Scottish mainland

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 05:46:33 »
David, another magnificient series. 

When I saw this series I was prompted to dig out a CD and play "Tangle of the Isles" (sung by Billy Connolly no less), where he sings of the Far Coulins/Cuillins and the Blue Isles.  Your images provided great context for the lyrics.  And tangled isles and coastlines in that part of Scotland they are (notwithstanding that 'tangle' refers to bunches of seaweed).

Hugh Gunn

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 09:42:54 »
Thanks, Hugh.

Many people, including me, have a life-long love-affair with Skye and the Western Isles. "Once bitten, ever smitten" as the old saying goes.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 09:53:59 »
Many people, including me, have a life-long love-affair with Skye and the Western Isles. "Once bitten, ever smitten" as the old saying goes.

I know Skye nowhere near as well as David, but I completely agree with his statement.
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
Re: The magic of Skye - images added.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 10:04:44 »
One final image - my regular climbing parter back in the day, Tim, tackling the first pitch of Waterpipe Gully in the northern Coulins. (No prizes for guessing how the gully got its name!)

The 450m gully rises from the floor of Coir' a' Mhadaidh (Foxes' Corry) and when we climbed it in early May, the upper pitches were full of iron-hard snow. This made for some interesting moments, as we had no snow-and-ice-climbing equipment with us.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The magic of Skye - images added.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 10:08:01 »
You can definitely tell the climbing gear and clothing is from another decade ;)
Simone Tomasi