Author Topic: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED, focusing issue  (Read 9504 times)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED, focusing issue
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 18:08:09 »
That reminds me of the Thom Hogan phrase that he uses with new models "Who moved the cheese?". There is enough to keep my mind on already without things being relocated or added in new locations.
Carl

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 18:56:25 »
You could still press and hold AF-ON, then press and hold shutter button half way and let the VR settle, finally press it all the way to get the shots. I never felt this was an issue, it allowed the user to lower the battery consumption during focus tracking by electing not to use VR until it was time. But then I guess they realized VR helps with focus tracking by helping the user keep the focus point steady, so it was then changed so that VR is activated at the same time the autofocus is initiated.

I prefer to use AF-ON to initiate AF because it allows modeless use of the camera; no switches to press to access manual focus, or AF on a static or moving subject. Always the same settings. The main drawback is that if a thumb button is used as AF-ON, the active focus point can't be moved by hand during tracking. However, I prefer focus to be independent of shutter button so I don't have to juggle between AF-C, AF-S, and MF. Also on tripod when photographung a static scene I cannot tolerate AF kicking in by accident after I have set up everything and want to take the shots.

Today one can program AF-ON on the lens buttons and front side Fn buttons so the thumb can be set free to move focus point around. However this is a bit too complicated to master for me, having used the cameras in a certain way for more than a decade...  :o I guess the lens buttons on the new 70-200 will motivate me to experiment.

Ilkka is right on the money. This is the recommended way of operating.

I just add, AF-S works when you know what you are doing, and is the preferred way for some situations,,,

The late kicking in VR of the old days was super annoying especially with low light PJ style event shooting before we had high ISO,,,
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 20:53:32 »
Thank you, Erik, Bjørn and Ilkka, for explaining the use of AF-On button.

I haven't used VR lens extensively, but I now understand how the half-pressing the shutter would potentially cause problems.

Personally I've had no problem with the half-pressing because this is what I've been doing since the film days (A mode and AE lock by half-pressing the shutter button, but, hey, there was no AF or VR!).  But I've had the problem with the AF-S mode because of the AF errors.  Often I have to re-half-press the shutter button to re-activate the AF.  If the AF-C would mitigate the problem, I will try that mode.  Also, the automatic compensation of the focus shift would be fully welcomed (if it is true).
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Michafoto

• NG Member
  • London
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 18:49:09 »
btw... it was a technical fault which caused this issue, the mechanism which was supposed to stop the AF when the subject was in focus didn't work. Nikon repaired it and since it works like a dream...
Micha Theiner