Author Topic: Nikon D850 a "Baby Nikon D5 camera”?  (Read 12318 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D850 a "Baby Nikon D5 camera”?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 16:41:09 »
One thing I used to like about my old yashica and rollei was the right angle viewer to take shots at ground level or overhead.  Flip screen would be welcome!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 18:04:59 »
One thing I used to like about my old yashica and rollei was the right angle viewer to take shots at ground level or overhead.  Flip screen would be welcome!

I bought the 90 degree, 6x finder for every Nikon from the F2 to the F5. It was good for critical focus and low angles. Some of the time 45 degrees would have been more useful. It was reversed right to left like a TLR.

If it's built well and clips in place well a flip screen will be welcomed by me for low angle shots.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 18:15:45 »
Touch screen is a pain ..you got to turn it off ...Nose problems

I have nose problems with the "game pad" and changing the focus point on my D800. I'm not a great fan of touch screens but sometimes they are quite practical. I hope as Ilkka doesn't find a need to change settings I won't either.

Pro controls ..horrible even if they put a lock on the memory functions.

What are the "Pro controls" and "lock on the memory?" I assume these are different from my D800??

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 23:18:28 »

As for the spec ..46 mp is not enough pixel density to replace my  24 mp DX birding cameras.

I am using the D500 (which has a higher pixel density than my D800) with its something like 21 Megapixels for birdshot, and I have never found it to have too little pixel density, and never felt that just 24 would bring much more benefit. I would not trade the AF, the 10fps andthe Cache of the D500 against a 24 Pixel DX body, i am finding these  features more essential to bird photography.
BTW 46 Mpx on FX is equalling 21 when set to DX, so a fast D850 can take some of the role of the D500 while benefiting from FX advantages if needed.
Wolfgang Rehm

chambeshi

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 13:27:46 »
Can only concur on the prowess of the D500 for action photography, birds especially. And there's an emerging consensus among wildlife photographers that the D500 is the ideal complement to the likes of the D810 [posts on NG and many on www e.g. https://backcountrygallery.com/nikon-d500-review/  ]

I found the interface and ergonomics of the D500 unfamiliar at first, including its screen innovations. They took some time to appreciate: and returning to a D750 for a few weeks fully confirmed the superiority of D500 features. One superb camera

Migrating the D500 controls into the D850 will be great. It will be all the more impressive if Nikon have indeed succeeded in scaling up the best features of the D500 into the D850  ;D ;D ;D

I am using the D500 (which has a higher pixel density than my D800) with its something like 21 Megapixels for birdshot, and I have never found it to have too little pixel density, and never felt that just 24 would bring too much benefit. I would not trade the AF, the 10fps andthe Cache of the D500 against a 24 Pixel DX body, i am finding these  features more essential to bird photography.
BTW 46 Mpx on FX is equalling 21 when set to DX, so a fast D850 can take some of the role of the D500 while benefiting from FX advantages if needed.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 18:08:19 »
Can only concur on the prowess of the D500 for action photography, birds especially. And there's an emerging consensus among wildlife photographers that the D500 is the ideal complement to the likes of the D810 [posts on NG and many on www e.g. https://backcountrygallery.com/nikon-d500-review/  ]

Thanks for the link, gave some interesting proposals for configuration, I'd like to try

And yes we will see what will be scaled up
Wolfgang Rehm

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2017, 12:20:26 »
still no built-in focustune.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman