Author Topic: Nikon D850 a "Baby Nikon D5 camera”?  (Read 12227 times)

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
Re: Nikon D850 a "Baby Nikon D5 camera”?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 11:28:51 »
Hi ISO and high resolution don't really go together ... You could easily downsize to ~23 MP (half size) and get reduced noise and still a good sized image. Will be interesting to see how that stacks up against the 24MP D750...

I wonder if it will really do 46MP at 10fps? That is a huge amount of data to push around. It might shoot that fast only in crop mode or at lower resolutions?

understood on both points.. and i think that 46 & 10 would be some sort of breakthrough in throughput for the commercial market..
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 14:09:32 »
Sony does 42MP at 12 fps with the A99 II it should not be a problem for Nikon. The mirror can slow things down a bit in terms of fps etc. but it should not affect the processing of data.

With XQD card, the buffer clearing time should be shorter as well.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 14:11:20 »
Would be nice. Assuming raw files

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 18:35:59 »
I guess it wont be a Baby Nikon D5 but if so, rather a Baby Nikon D5X

There should be a D5s next year (which would mean D5 sensor, but faster and somewhat upgraded camera) but instead there will be a D5x (as also rumored) with the D850 sensor in a pro body and even faster?

Dont know what would be more difficult to sell next spring, after a D850 coming out this autumn
Wolfgang Rehm

chambeshi

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 19:31:50 »
Latest from NR, including possible price..."A UK based store sent out emails where they suggested that the price of the D850 will be "somewhere around £3,499" (around $4,600, VAT is probably included - US prices are usually lower)"   :-\  :-\  :-\

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/01/additional-nikon-d850-specifications.aspx/#ixzz4oWfI6CpM

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/01/additional-nikon-d850-specifications.aspx/#more-114316

In the past week I have received a lot of details on the new Nikon D850 DSLR camera - thanks to everyone who sent me an email. Here is an updated list of the rumored D850 specifications:

45-46MP full frame CMOS sensor
Improved low and high ISO
New and improved version of SnapBridge
No built-in GPS
Tiltable LCD touchscreen just like the D750 and D500
Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
AF system from the D5
No built-in flash (from the teaser picture)
Back illuminated buttons (from leaked pictures)
Joystick selector (from leaked pictures)
Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (from leaked pictures)
8K time-lapse video capabilities (from promo video)
The D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October
4k UHD video in FX format (with no crop)
No EVF or hybrid viewfinder
Fast fps (8fps or more)
New: the D850 LCD will have twice the resolution of the D810
New: slo-mo Full HD 120fps video
New: the SD slot will support UHS-II
New: improved LiveView split-screen display
New: improved silent shooting mode
New: improved battery life
New: lighter than the D810

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 22:48:04 »
I wonder if we will have the ISO 64 that is in the D810. My guess is not likely. Anyone have thoughts on that?
From NikonRumors: "Improved low and high ISO"

Improved low ISO can only mean better dynamic range, whether that is at ISO 100 or 64 doesn't really matter.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 23:33:40 »
New: the D850 LCD will have twice the resolution of the D810
The D810 LCD has 640x480 resolution made of RGBW dots = 1.2 million dots.
The D850 will likely share the same LCD as the D5 and D500, which is 1024 x 768 resolution made of RGB dots = 2.36 million dots.
So the number of dots is a shade under twice as many, but the resolution is over twice as high.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 06:08:07 »

AND

another camera before christmas  :o :o :o

I'm hoping for another camera before I die or go blind. This is far from assured.

Dave Hartman

Please Send FREE Time! (tm)
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 08:33:54 »
Here it is..

Nikon D850 Full Specification
New 46MP FX Format sensor
AF system same as Nikon D5
4K Videos
full HD 120fps video
Tiltable LCD touchscreen
Improved dynamic range
Continuous shooting speed upto 8fps
Improved low-light performace
New and improved version of SnapBridge
No built-in GPS
Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
Back illuminated buttons
Joystick selector
Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
8K time-lapse video capabilities
The D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October
No EVF or hybrid viewfinder
D850 LCD will have twice the resolution of the D810
SD slot will support UHS-II
Improved LiveView split-screen display
Improved silent shooting mode
Better battery life
lighter than the D810
The camera shipping of the camera will start from October and we can expect its official announcement on September 2017.
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 14:11:08 »
 ::) , well, have to say the rumour list is pretty extensive.  We'll see how accurate
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 17:46:55 »
Generally if something costs one pound in the UK including VAT it will cost $1 in the US excluding sales taxes.  If I order the camera from B&H or anyone else without a physical presence in Texas, there is no sales tax collected.  We are supposed to file a use tax return locally, but enforcement of that in consumer transactions is extremely rare.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 09:59:28 »
And if I order anything from outside the EU  I can add  25%  for tax ....so  STOP BREXIT

As for the spec ..46 mp is not enough pixel density to replace my  24 mp DX birding cameras.
Flip screen no use to me
Silent mode ???   The two clicks on the present quiet mode is worse as the celebrant thinks you took two pictures ..some are very click sensitive.
Memory ? Why do Iwant to buy  XQD  at stupid prices when I can run my 810 with two SD cards ,one in a CF to SD adaptor?
Touch screen is a pain ..you got to turn it off ...Nose problems
Pro controls ..horrible even if they put a lock on the memory functions.
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 12:21:42 »
i think the flip screen is a step backwards in a pro body.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 12:40:14 »
As for the spec ..46 mp is not enough pixel density to replace my  24 mp DX birding cameras.

How often do you get a real benefit from the small difference in pixel density (20 vs. 24MP)? It would require a very high quality lens at or near optimum aperture and perfect focus.

Flip screen no use to me

I have found angling the screen to be useful for some angles e.g. photographing a canyon from the river towards the top, also for astrophotography as well. I think it is useful for some crowd shots with hands extended. For macro low on the ground I would like to see a screen that tilts around two axis instead of just one. However, I don't consider this a critical feature; I can work with a fixed screen but sometimes a tilting screen makes working a bit easier.

Silent mode ???   The two clicks on the present quiet mode is worse as the celebrant thinks you took two pictures ..some are very click sensitive.

Silent mode isn't the same as quiet mode. In silent mode there is no mirror movement (it's a live view feature) but currently (in the D5) it is limited to small jpgs. If the silent mode is improved it probably means high resolution photos can be captured using it, maybe even RAW.

If you want to use quiet mode and only hear one click, turn the camera to quiet continuous (Qc). At least on the D5 then the mirror comes down right after the shot is taken instead of when you lift the finger up.

Memory ? Why do Iwant to buy  XQD  at stupid prices when I can run my 810 with two SD cards ,one in a CF to SD adaptor?

XQD cards (Sony G series is what I use) are quite reasonably priced at B&H photo-video.

There are many advantages to XQD:
- contacts are not open to touching so they're not soiled as easily
- hard rugged casing
- convenient size
- higher performance so buffer clears quickly
- fast copying of files to the computer

If you photograph birds I assume you sometimes can benefit from high frame rate (bird in flight images). If you use high frame rate you probably want a bigger burst depth and XQD helps with that.

Touch screen is a pain ..you got to turn it off ...Nose problems

In which camera have you found it to be a problem? I don't think I've had one accidental operation happen with the touch screen of the D5 but in that camera it's restricted to some functions. If the camera uses touch screen more extensively, it can be implemented in such a way that it knows when your face is against the camera and can automatically cancel touch screen operation in those parts of the screen that are blocked by your face. This is implemented in the D5600 at least. I think touch screen is great for reviewing images and saves some time. I would expect that in the D850 they would permit the focus point in LV to be selected via touch screen which should be much faster than rolling and rolling and rolling forever to move the focus point from one side of the image to the other.

And yes, you can turn off all touch screen functionality if you don't like it. I have not seen any need to do so.

Pro controls ..horrible even if they put a lock on the memory functions.

Memory functions? Which pro controls are horrible?

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 12:52:17 »
i think the flip screen is a step backwards in a pro body.

Flip screen of the D750 made it easier to make this image:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ilkka_nissila/28452996773/in/dateposted-public/

(Two shot exposure blend).

I think I could have twisted my neck making the series of different exposures using a fixed LCD. In fact I focus bracketed the image too (though it was not necessary for the end result here).